Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What do we do? I'm sure I don't know!

What do we do? I'm sure I don't know!

Old Apr 12th 2009, 12:32 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do we do? I'm sure I don't know!

Originally Posted by srah
Houston is a dump and not many people when given a choice would stay permanently....not if they have anywhere better to move to or back to.
That's the tricky thing though. Everyone I've ever met who once lived in Houston hated it..... but the ones who loved it obviously must have stayed there (and hence never talked to me). Many people hate New Mexico too.... but I don't often run into them either. (Plus, I usually encourage them to away with themselves.)
Old Apr 12th 2009, 3:55 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
That's the tricky thing though. Everyone I've ever met who once lived in Houston hated it..... but the ones who loved it obviously must have stayed there (and hence never talked to me). Many people hate New Mexico too.... but I don't often run into them either. (Plus, I usually encourage them to away with themselves.)
I really don't understand this - what on earth is it that "everyone" hates so much about Houston? I agree in part, that it's not necessarily a place people would chose to come and live, as it tends to be that they are driven here by work transfers BUT once here, I just don't get all this talk of "hating" it. Are there elements I don't particularly like, yes, but isn't that the case wherever you live? I used to live in a lovely part of the UK, but there were still parts about that that I didn't like. It is genuinely intriguing me about what it is people say is so bad.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:06 pm
Banned

srah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to all

Houston IS a dump and I'm not talking gibberish. I have MY view and that is it. There are a few worse places I've visited around the world but Houston is close to the bottom of my list. Anyone who has any ambition will move on once within a year or two.

Wow is this forum for yanks or what as seems any negative remark against their country is deleted.

So much for feedom of speech

Have a nice day ya'll
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

piloteea is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lazzza
Well, how do I start? I am 37, married with 4 kids. My eldest is 17 and going to Uni in September this year. The next is 16, the next 7 and my wee one is 2. I am a lawyer (eek!) but I am actually a nice person! Honestly!

My hubbie has a job which means he works a great deal in Houston. It is bery likely he wil have to move there eventually, probably in the next year. My question is, what do I do? Can anyone help? I am at a loss!

I am excited by the fact that we have to embrace a new culture. I am worried by the fact I would be leaving my oldest child at home (at Uni). I am elated by the fact I would be leaving my job behind. I am worried by the fact I may be useless over the pond. I am excited by challenge. I have sleepless nights about the challenge. I know I am a well travelled, well educated, worldly person. I know I am from the north of Scotland, which is often far removed from civilisation! Oh God will I fit in?

I am totally positive but any suggestions would be most welcome. My view is that this is where we are supposed to be. But your input would be most welcome!
used to live in Houston. Heres some nonvisa related advice

don't move to the south east section, if you doubt what I mean, have a drive thru the area. Very very polluted from all the refinaries. Consider moving to the woodlands (i lived there 6 months in 2005), very nice, especially for kids. A bit of a drive into town (I45 south is horrible in the morning).
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I did not hate it, but then again I lived in the woodlands in a 7200 sqft home, was single and dated a lot of texas girls :-)
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:13 pm

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Houston IS a dump and I'm not talking gibberish. I have MY view and that is it. There are a few worse places I've visited around the world but Houston is close to the bottom of my list. Anyone who has any ambition will move on once within a year or two.
Wow is this forum for yanks or what as seems any negative remark against their country is deleted.

So much for feedom of speech

Have a nice day ya'll
Hmmmm, I run my own very successful company, so would therefore consider myself rather ambitious and have been here 4 years and intend to stay at least another 5. I am not a "yank", but a Brit, and can recognise both the good and bad about Houston, which I would be happy to debate in an intelligent fashion. Perhaps your posts would be more accepted if they were a little more even. I have never entered into any of the more negative threads in this forum because sometimes they do get a little ugly, but on this occasion, I find it difficult to put a rebuttle to your comments.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by piloteea
I did not hate it, but then again I lived in the woodlands in a 7200 sqft home, was single and dated a lot of texas girls :-)

LOL - you made the most of your time here then! Woodlands is lovely, altho I live in Katy so I haven't fully explored it there yet. Need to drag my butt there to check out the shopping!
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:19 pm
Banned

srah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ukintexas
Hmmmm, I run my own very successful company, so would therefore consider myself rather ambitious and have been here 4 years and intend to stay at least another 5. I am not a "yank", but a Brit, and can recognise both the good and bad about Houston, which I would be happy to debate in an intelligent fashion. Perhaps your posts would be more accepted if they were a little more even. I have never entered into any of the more negative threads in this forum because sometimes they do get a little ugly, but on this occasion, I find it difficult to put a rebuttle to your comments.
Good for you, doing just what I said...moving on in a few years. Houston is OK as a stopping off post to gather what one may financially.
I don't wish to debate Houston, I have said my view and so be it. Have a nice day now.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

don't move to the south east section, if you doubt what I mean, have a drive thru the area. Very very polluted from all the refinaries. Consider moving to the woodlands (i lived there 6 months in 2005), very nice, especially for kids. A bit of a drive into town (I45 south is horrible in the morning).

As I said earlier you get to learn the good and bad areas to live and I'm sure that can be said about any large city in the US or the UK.

The Woodlands has grown a lot since 2005, still a sought after area and now a nice place to shop and eat.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:22 pm
Banned

The whole area is extremely polluted. That and the climate makes for a very unhealthy part of the USA to live in. Cancer is very high in Houston...I will try and back that up by a report I have filed from a few yrs back.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

The whole area is extremely polluted. That and the climate makes for a very unhealthy part of the USA to live in. Cancer is very high in Houston...I will try and back that up by a report I have filed from a few yrs back.

Well we've been here 20 years and we are still alive and kicking.

BTW I'm a Brit as well and I don't like it when people make ridiculous remarks about the US either.

If you didn't like Houston well that's fine but to say it is a dump and run it down to the ground is uncalled for.

Maybe the problem was you just didn't fit in here
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ukintexas
LOL - you made the most of your time here then! Woodlands is lovely, altho I live in Katy so I haven't fully explored it there yet. Need to drag my butt there to check out the shopping!
i certainly did.... katy was very congested with traffic on the I10 in the morning, but they were widening the I10 and building a lot of new infrastructure there, is it any better?

Live in windermere, FL (outside of orlando now) and are enjoying it. Considering Austin as my next move though.... Austin is AWSOME
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

BTW I'm a Brit as well and I don't like it when people make ridiculous remarks about the US either.

If you didn't like Houston well that's fine but to say it is a dump and run it down to the ground is uncalled for.

Oh but I did fit in, so much I got promoted! I enjoyed my few yrs in the city but saw Houston for what it was. I don't know you but if you are content in Houston then so be it however you must not have much else going for you in other parts of the world or wherever you came from in the UK is all I can say.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:48 pm

i certainly did.... katy was very congested with traffic on the I10 in the morning, but they were widening the I10 and building a lot of new infrastructure there, is it any better?

Live in windermere, FL (outside of orlando now) and are enjoying it. Considering Austin as my next move though.... Austin is AWSOME
Hi Piloteea, Yes the commute from Katy into Downtown is better now, but still not great! I work west of Dairy Ashford so I don't have to go all the way Downtown, but I used to work further east which always made for interesting commutes! They are still widening parts of the I-10 and my own theory is it just continues to rotate - by the time they've finished widening the whole lot, they'll start at the beginning again widening it even more

I have only been to Austin once but have to confess I found it really "studenty" and wasn't as enthralled with it as I thought I would be - I hear there are some lovely parts (as there are everywhere). I'm due to go back soon though for some meetings so I hope I'll get to see the side that you like!

Does your job move you around alot? What's it like living in Florida?
Old Apr 12th 2009, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.