Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What to do in LA for 6 hrs 45 mins?

What to do in LA for 6 hrs 45 mins?

Old Mar 12th 2007, 9:37 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do in LA for 6 hrs 45 mins?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
He he......you should do what my daughter did and went tandem skydiving in Rotorua.....a bit smelly though due to the sulphur!

When you visit the South island have a go at doing it in Queensland....I did the tandem skydiving with my son and it was breathtaking, one of the most memorable and exhilarating experiences of my life... . Also the Shotover jet boat ride on the river there is great fun, and Milford Sound (although the drive through the tunnel on an unsurfaced road in a large camper van was scary LOL!).

Hmmmmm.....I really ought to visit NZ again..

You should have a good flight with Qantas; my Aussie friends have all recently been on trips home and their new entertainment system is apparently great.

Good luck with the job interviews!
Thank you!

Yes, Rotorua will certainly be unique! I think we made the right decision to stay in Taupo for the couple of days we're in that area, though... I know my daughter will probably be wonderfully un-PC, holding her nose with her fingers and saying "Peee-yoo it stinks here"

Not sure I'm up for skydiving though... I can be a bit chicken.

Get a hold of "Billy Connolly's World Tour of New Zealand" on DVD. He goes south to north through the whole country. It'll probably make you want to move there (too!).
Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:08 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: What to do in LA for 6 hrs 45 mins?

Originally Posted by Maz
Thank you!

Get a hold of "Billy Connolly's World Tour of New Zealand" on DVD. He goes south to north through the whole country. It'll probably make you want to move there (too!).

No, I wouldn't want to live there. I did love it in Queenstown and the whole of NZ is absolutely gorgeous. It's a wonderful place for a holiday and maybe to retire to, but it's a tad quiet and for me personally, a bit too remote from the rest of the world. Everywhere seemed to close early in the evenings - even the fish and chip shops were closing at around 7pm-7.30pm outside the large cities! Even in Christchurch the shops all closed very early on a Saturday. Then again, I can understand why and it's nice for the shopworkers.

I would very happily live in Sydney. My sister and her family is going to Noosa in Queensland for a month in a couple of days time and it's probably her sixth visit to Oz as her bro-in-law married an Aussie girl. I'm hoping she will emigrate there too so I can go and visit for a long holiday LOL!

I might try and see the Billy Connelly DVD, but I guess it's not on sale in the US? Where did you get your copy from?
Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:19 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
No, I wouldn't want to live there. I did love it in Queenstown and the whole of NZ is absolutely gorgeous. It's a wonderful place for a holiday and maybe to retire to, but it's a tad quiet and for me personally, a bit too remote from the rest of the world. Everywhere seemed to close early in the evenings - even the fish and chip shops were closing at around 7pm-7.30pm outside the large cities! Even in Christchurch the shops all closed very early on a Saturday. Then again, I can understand why and it's nice for the shopworkers.

I would very happily live in Sydney. My sister and her family is going to Noosa in Queensland for a month in a couple of days time and it's probably her sixth visit to Oz as her bro-in-law married an Aussie girl. I'm hoping she will emigrate there too so I can go and visit for a long holiday LOL!

I might try and see the Billy Connelly DVD, but I guess it's not on sale in the US? Where did you get your copy from?
That's part of what's drawing us there... the more laid-back lifestyle.

OK I only saw one on eBay, which is where I got my copy from. It's here and would work if you had a region free DVD player. At least I think that's how those things work.

Grrrr can't find who the seller was now either, as I got it over 60 days ago.

Hmmm... likewise on Amazon, can only find it on the UK site
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:59 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
certainly would not suggest leaving the terminal. Be a bitch to miss your flight. There will be plenty of eateries and stores to window shop in. The time will go faster than you think. Or not.
There's nothing worth doing or seeing at LAX. The airports a bit of a dump and always half built.

You could go to the Admiral's Club. If your not already a member then you can pay for a day membership I think.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
That's part of what's drawing us there... the more It's here and would work if you had a region free DVD player.
if you really want this I can direct you to a downloadable source.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Recce! But we are stopping at Taupo for a couple of nights on the way back from Wellington, so will maybe take a helicopter flight and do some other fun stuff. When we're in Auckland I plan to take the "controlled wire descent" off the Sky Tower he he!
ahh... what the timeline on the move? we haven't even met yet and you're out of here already.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Sorry Maz but LAX is the biggest dump man has ever created on earth. Last week I had a similar stopover returning from NZ. The best idea if you want to leave the airport is a trip to santa monica but make sure the taxi doesn't do the freeway route but drives from the airport to the coastal road otherwise you'll spend your time watching traffic

Personally I would try the quantas lounge route and spend time with your kid without the added stress of getting back to LAX on time after spending an hour/hour and a half at the beach.

The only bit of greenery to the airport is a patch of grass next to tom bradley arrival hall in the corner with a plaque to sas and a memorial to a lax worker. You have to constantly move with the sun as the building gets in the way and of course the car/van/truck/bus exhaust fumes and noise from the road is lovely.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 5:24 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
There's nothing worth doing or seeing at LAX. The airports a bit of a dump and always half built.

You could go to the Admiral's Club. If your not already a member then you can pay for a day membership I think.
Definitely the plan now I think, thanks!

Originally Posted by USBound
if you really want this I can direct you to a downloadable source.
Oooooh! I already have it on US DVD, but would love to download it too (can't figure out how to import it into iTunes and would love to have it on my iPod!).

Originally Posted by USBound
ahh... what the timeline on the move? we haven't even met yet and you're out of here already.
We're far from going yet! But things might start moving very fast once the immigration people see that my skills are on the short-term and long-term skills shortages list. I'll find out tomorrow if a potential employer wants to interview me (over someone who's on-site already). If they do, then we're going to do Skype/webcam calls before we visit. No idea how fast it will move if/when I get a job offer. I almost dread to think! But yes we must meet up soon! Maybe Friday 23rd March somewhere?

Originally Posted by owen
Sorry Maz but LAX is the biggest dump man has ever created on earth. Last week I had a similar stopover returning from NZ. The best idea if you want to leave the airport is a trip to santa monica but make sure the taxi doesn't do the freeway route but drives from the airport to the coastal road otherwise you'll spend your time watching traffic

Personally I would try the quantas lounge route and spend time with your kid without the added stress of getting back to LAX on time after spending an hour/hour and a half at the beach.

The only bit of greenery to the airport is a patch of grass next to tom bradley arrival hall in the corner with a plaque to sas and a memorial to a lax worker. You have to constantly move with the sun as the building gets in the way and of course the car/van/truck/bus exhaust fumes and noise from the road is lovely.
I think if I don't even see the outside of the airport, I'll be happy. We'll take some extra games & puzzles with us, and hubby will doubtless make a bee-line for the bar.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!
Old Mar 14th 2007, 8:47 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Enjoy New Zealand. I'm stuck here in California 'til mid-June at least. The Bay Area is nice enough, but New Zealand's my home now.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Stay in the ******* airport. Have a Starbucks or something.

Edit: I typed fec k ing and it still censored me????