Reload this Page >

What do I have to pay for?

What do I have to pay for?

Old Sep 1st 2011, 10:27 am
Just Joined

MovingtoTexas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do I have to pay for?

Hi Everyone,

I'm moving to Texas in 3 months and I'm trying to work out how much I'll be able to afford in rent. I'm looking for a list of the things I'll need to pay for. So far I have:

Rent
Water
Electricity
Gas
Internet/Phone/TV
Mobile
Renters Insurance
Contents Insurance
Car Insurance
Local Taxes
Breakdown
Medical Insurance
Health Insurance
Tax

Have I missed anything? Also, does anyone have a link to a simple guide to taxes? My employer is paying some taxes for me, but I don't understand what they are or why.

Thank you for any help!
Old Sep 1st 2011, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

RayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud of
Default Re: What do I have to pay for?

looks like you've got most things. Hopefully your employer is paying for your medical insurance. If they aren't it could be expensive. Car insurance may also be a shock. Remember they usually quote monthly or for 6 months not 12 months.
You'll pay federal tax:
http://www.moneychimp.com/features/tax_brackets.htm
State tax:
http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxes/

I'm sure others will add more detail.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 12:19 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MovingtoTexas
Gas
If by this you mean the gas used for heating etc. you also need to add gas (petrol). Depending on how much driving you'll be doing this could be a monthly sum much larger than many other items on your list.

Renters Insurance
Contents Insurance
I believe renters insurance is essentially contents insurance.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 12:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

I'm moving to Texas in 3 months and I'm trying to work out how much I'll be able to afford in rent. I'm looking for a list of the things I'll need to pay for. So far I have:

Rent
Water = Unless you are renting a private house, you will not be charged for water
Electricity
Gas
Internet/Phone/TV
Mobile
Renters Insurance = Renters and Contents are all on one policy
Contents Insurance
Car Insurance
Local Taxes = not all cities charge a "local" tax
Breakdown = ???? of what? Your car. Do you expect it to breakdown monthly?
Medical Insurance = Medical and Health Insurance are one and the same policy
Health Insurance
Tax = Federal, State and sometimes local

Have I missed anything? Also, does anyone have a link to a simple guide to taxes? My employer is paying some taxes for me, but I don't understand what they are or why. = I doubt they are paying some taxes. What they have to pay by law is part of your social security withholding

Thank you for any help

You didn't mention medicare withholding, possible 401K withholding, disability insurance withholding. Utilities such as electric/gas are provided on the same bill. Some areas do not use gas for home heating or for cooking. Car insurance will depend on your age, the age of your automobile, the city where it is registered, etc.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

I think by breakdown they mean like membership of the AA etc, who in the event of breaking down will come and fix the car.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 1:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
I think by breakdown they mean like membership of the AA etc, who in the event of breaking down will come and fix the car.
I think you mean AAA... because in the US, AA is something totally different!

Ian
Old Sep 1st 2011, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I think you mean AAA... because in the US, AA is something totally different!

Ian
You mean American Airlines I assume

We have alcoholics in the UK too!
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

You mean American Airlines I assume

We have alcoholics in the UK too!
Yeah, and the hard-ass kind. The kind that decorate the public loos with last night's curry 'n' chips then pass out at the bottom of your garden.

Oh, them's were the days...
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Where in Texas are you moving to? Big State! Rent will vary on where you live. I would guess Houston? Check out City Data forum, Houston. There are lots of threads on there about cost of living in different areas of the city. If its not Houston, there are other places in Texas covered there too. Good luck.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

They fix the car? I don't think so. They will tow the car, or give you some gas if you are out of it, or change a flat but I don't think they will fix the car.

I get the same service with my GEICO policy for $25 every 6 months.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
They fix the car? I don't think so. They will tow the car, or give you some gas if you are out of it, or change a flat but I don't think they will fix the car.

I get the same service with my GEICO policy for $25 every 6 months.
Well I admit I have no idea as I have never owned a car in my life nor wanted to! All I know is on the adverts they 'rescue' people in distress!
Old Sep 1st 2011, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Well I admit I have no idea as I have never owned a car in my life nor wanted to! All I know is on the adverts they 'rescue' people in distress!
The AA does do a bit more than the tow truck that turns up here.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 6:07 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The AA does do a bit more than the tow truck that turns up here.
They sorted my crappy cars out several times when I was a teenager, fab service
Old Sep 1st 2011, 6:35 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Winter spring summer or falllll, all you have to do is calllll. Oh wait, that may have been the RAC ad.
Anyhow, welcome to Texas
Old Sep 1st 2011, 9:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

Rent
Water
Electricity
Gas
Internet/Phone/TV
Mobile
Renters Insurance
Contents Insurance
Car Insurance
Local Taxes
Breakdown
Medical Insurance
Health Insurance
Tax
If you're renting, water, sewage and property tax would be included in the rent.

You might have rubbish collection included, you might have to pay privately, use a transfer/dump or have town bags to use.

Renters insurance is just content and liability, it's peanuts, about $150 for $30K of content a year or there abouts.

Medical is health, and that you ask your employer, and read what the co-pay, deductibles etc, etc, it's all in the wiki.

Breakdown - AAA if you don't get it from car insurance or from having a new car, then it's about $80 a year for basic coverage. Lots of other benefits to AAA membership though.

You've also got to factor in deposits, without a credit history, you'll likely have to put down a deposit for most/all utilities, which can be anything from $50-600.

Cost of running a car, well consider $1200 a year a good figure for the first year, anything less is a bonus, for a decent level of coverage. Check the DMV site for cost of car inspection/plates/registration etc, etc.

Cable/phone/internet First year, special deal of around $100 a month for basic bit of everything, to maybe $150....it's a faff to keep a decent rate, mostly not worth it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.