What to do?

Old Dec 18th 2007, 1:53 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do?

I'd say stay here and benefit from the stability your current employment provides. Continue to raise your children with the values that you have brought over from the UK. Parents are just, if not more, influential than the environment your kids are raised in. When your kids enter college have them sign up for a study-abroad session in the UK. I think that will be a good compromise. They'll get the best of both worlds.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confused1
I moved to San Jose, CA, about 15 years ago with my husband, and have since had 2 children who currently attend private elementary school (both under 8 years old). When I came out here, I wasn't thinking about staying here, but now have a house with a pool, 2 kids, a great job (very flexible and with a good pay), and can afford to send my kids to private school.

I keep hearing how people are going back to the UK because there is more culture, less materialism, the education is better etc. It makes me wonder if I shouldn't move back to the UK so that my children to get experience all that. It makes me wonder if I am depriving them of things they just can't get here.
I am confused.

If I move back to the UK, I am pretty sure I won't find a job as good as the one I have now, and pretty sure we won't be able to find a house like the one we have. But should I be putting weight on those things?
What questions should I be asking myself?

I want to do what is best for my children, but that seems to be opposite to what is right for me right now (and yes, I know that is selfish). If I move and things are not as easy for us as a family (financially and job-wise), will being in the UK make any difference?

Hope someone can give me some guidance here.

Confused1
In my humble opinion you would be better off staying where you were. I only say this because you seem to have a very secure life going on there right now - who's to say it would be as secure (and happy) once you moved to the UK. When you have kids it's all about security and stability (in my opinion anyway) - two children under the age of 8 may not have any difficulty in adapting if you whisk them across the world, but they certainly won't appreciate you for doing it to start with! "Why have we got to change school, mummy? Why have we got to leave our friends, mummy?"

There is alot of stress involved in moving (especially abroad) and while it could be very beneficial if you're lucky enough to move to a decent area - it could also place quite a few strains on you and your family, not only financially but also socially and morally too.

I suppose it all depends on the reasons you are moving. If you have fabulous jobs waiting for you and your husband, and lots of family to come home too, it could be a good idea. But if you are sacrificing good jobs in the hope that the "way of life" in the UK is better than in the States, you may be making an error.

When it comes to education, I was told repeatedly before I came out here that the education system in the US left alot to be desired, however I can 100% say that the education my daughter is getting here in Illinois, is FAR better than the one she was getting in England. Now I know every state is different blah blah blah... but IF you are happy with the education they are receiving at the moment then why change it? Never having experienced UK culture before (and there definitely are big differences - which surprised me) there would be much for your children to catch up on which could impact their educational development...

Of course on the other hand, it could also be of great benefit to them, broadening their outlooks on life etc - you just have to balance the experiences they may encounter, against the stability of what you already have... only you know your own children.

But as I said before, if you are all happy where you are, I would honestly think about staying there.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Old Dec 18th 2007, 2:09 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
Actually San Jose has one of the lowest crime rates in the US. I'm not sure what you mean by materialism in Silicon Valley and how it's worse than anywhere else, other than a some people make a lot of money and can afford things. You think Europeans aren't materialistic with all those expensive shops in Paris, Rome and London. Brits love there gadgets, cell phone etc just like here.
Yes, there's materialism the world round. And in general SJ has a very low crime rate. You make it out like I said it was horrible!

As I said, my best friend was raised there and lives nearby. I've been to visit several times. Her kids are MUCH more worldly-wise and after the latest gadget than my kids, which is saying something cos my kids are spoilt rotten by their own high-tech high-earning dad. However, they are well educated and enjoy a wealth of hobbies -- the variety is immense and there's a true international community.

The only downside I see for British parents is that kids raised in America just won't have the same cultural upbringing that they'd get in the UK, whether that's binge drinking, the current favourite cartoons/kid shows, actual Christmas plays at school, playing on the village green, and so forth.... but it's up to the OP to decide if they want that traditional upbringing more than what they've got now, which sounds very nice to be honest.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

I moved here from the UK 10 months ago... let me tell you... The education system sucks now! The US system is better. If you want to send your kids to Oxford or Cambridge, do it later....
The Materialism is just as bad in the UK, only everyone is more into your business and showing off what they have.... at least here there seems to be less of 'look at what i have' as most people seem to have a little something.... (you get what i mean?)
Crime is up in the UK, your kids are more likely to be bullied or beaten up in the UK than here.
The weather sucks
There is no space
Everything is sooooo expensive
Sure there is some culture, but read a book to your kids and take them there on vacation when you have upped their expectations and got them excited about seeing a real castle!

Easy for me to say this stuff as i have seen the benefits of the US since being here...i have been back to the UK twice on business, i couldnt wait to get back to the states both times!
Old Dec 18th 2007, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The only downside I see for British parents is that kids raised in America just won't have the same cultural upbringing that they'd get in the UK, whether that's binge drinking, the current favourite cartoons/kid shows, actual Christmas plays at school, playing on the village green, and so forth.... but it's up to the OP to decide if they want that traditional upbringing more than what they've got now, which sounds very nice to be honest.
I think it will depend on where the kids end up... working in the US, employers would prefer a US education, and working in the UK they'd prefer a UK education; but as the kids are only 8, I doubt they've thought much about it!
Old Dec 18th 2007, 3:06 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I think it will depend on where the kids end up... working in the US, employers would prefer a US education, and working in the UK they'd prefer a UK education; but as the kids are only 8, I doubt they've thought much about it!
True. I think one of the biggest factors is whether or not the parents intend to retire here, or return to the UK. If the latter, and they want the kids to have some firm ties to the UK, then going back before the kids are into their teens is probably a good idea. But that's for the parents' sake, not the kids' sake.

OTOH if they needed the safety net (eg chronic health conditions, one or both parents disabled etc) then I'd say they'd be better able to raise the kids in the UK. Many times I think that's the best option; this is one of the few times where I think the parents and the kids have it better here. That's probably because I have some insight into the SV culture and opportunities.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 3:09 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confused1
I moved to San Jose, CA, about 15 years ago with my husband, and have since had 2 children who currently attend private elementary school (both under 8 years old). When I came out here, I wasn't thinking about staying here, but now have a house with a pool, 2 kids, a great job (very flexible and with a good pay), and can afford to send my kids to private school.

I keep hearing how people are going back to the UK because there is more culture, less materialism, the education is better etc. It makes me wonder if I shouldn't move back to the UK so that my children to get experience all that. It makes me wonder if I am depriving them of things they just can't get here.
I am confused.

If I move back to the UK, I am pretty sure I won't find a job as good as the one I have now, and pretty sure we won't be able to find a house like the one we have. But should I be putting weight on those things?
What questions should I be asking myself?

I want to do what is best for my children, but that seems to be opposite to what is right for me right now (and yes, I know that is selfish). If I move and things are not as easy for us as a family (financially and job-wise), will being in the UK make any difference?

Hope someone can give me some guidance here.

Confused1
Seems to me you do not have enough good reasons to move back to the UK.

Why not have some extended holidays there, to try and get a feel for the place. You might also want to maintain ties with the UK through regular visits, so that your kids do not lose that connection.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe, one day when the bubble bursts, you could afford a small flat or something in the UK. That way you would feel like you have a place to go to. Then you could have the best of both worlds! (I am suggesting it because this is what I would like to do!! ).