Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What car to buy?

What car to buy?

Old Oct 20th 2005, 12:49 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What car to buy?

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Why have something small and Japanese when you can have something HUGE and American with a 5.5L V8, preferably with a rebel flag on the back window? Balls to that...the small jap mobiles are for when Im back in Euroland.
..yes, theres always the Alabama Limo!
Old Oct 20th 2005, 2:44 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CarlM
..yes, theres always the Alabama Limo!
This is what the OP wants...

http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...cat=500&page=1
Old Oct 20th 2005, 2:58 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
You could not fail to get shagged with a machine like that..
Old Oct 20th 2005, 3:15 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by britontour
Credit history was what killed me on the insurance as well, the girl gave me several different quotes, with a UK license, with a US license but we were only talking about $20 difference she told me the only way to get it down was to get a credit rating, so the advice about getting some kind of credit history is well worth it.
Can I even get a loan in my name with no credit history? If yes, maybe I'll get one and pay it off quickly.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:04 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shahlax
Can I even get a loan in my name with no credit history? If yes, maybe I'll get one and pay it off quickly.
I think one option is to get a small loan on say part of the full price just some way to prove that you can pay back a loan and get a credit history. But I'm no expert and this is only my second week in the US, I'm just trying to pass on some of my experiences.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 8:59 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by britontour
I think one option is to get a small loan on say part of the full price just some way to prove that you can pay back a loan and get a credit history. But I'm no expert and this is only my second week in the US, I'm just trying to pass on some of my experiences.
Good idea, thanks. This is your second week and you are already on this forum! Good for you.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 10:41 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shahlax
I had only been in the country for 2 months when I walked into a car dealership and drove out the same day in a brand new Ford Focus ZX3. I paid $300 a month for the car payment and about $250 a month insurance. I've been here nearly 2 years and since I moved from AZ to CT my insurance has actually gone up (go figure). I have bank accounts, credit cards and phone account so credit rating is ok but for some reason the damn insurance is still mega high. I love the Focus and it's very economical and nice to drive. I recommend it.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

I'd recommend Japanese for quality, reliability and typically better re-sale value. I'd recommend either Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4. Both are "SUVs" as such, but are still small and based on car platforms. They give you the benefit of a slightly taller ride, very light off-road capability and car-like handling. They are also reasonably economical compared to US motors.

I wouldn't buy from a private seller unless you feel extremely comfortable looking at cars and judging their condition - or the car is still under factory warranty.

I would consider buying a used car from a (manufacturer) dealer so long as they offer a certified used vehicle program (should be no probs with Honda or Toyota dealers).

Check out the forums on edmunds.com for discussions on buying experiences and ownership experiences. And Edmund's TMV pricing gives you a good idea of vehicle prices so you don't get ripped off.

Good luck!
Old Oct 21st 2005, 12:30 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
I had only been in the country for 2 months when I walked into a car dealership and drove out the same day in a brand new Ford Focus ZX3. I paid $300 a month for the car payment and about $250 a month insurance. I've been here nearly 2 years and since I moved from AZ to CT my insurance has actually gone up (go figure). I have bank accounts, credit cards and phone account so credit rating is ok but for some reason the damn insurance is still mega high. I love the Focus and it's very economical and nice to drive. I recommend it.

Possibly the new driver thing? Would do some serious shopping about after the 2-year driving history mark is passed if I were you. Get at least half a dozen quotes. As your credit and driving history have improved, it's time to go for different insurers who take account of this.

On a small point, the credit cards can boost your credit score but the bank accounts and phone bill will not and cannot.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 12:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Possibly the new driver thing? Would do some serious shopping about after the 2-year driving history mark is passed if I were you. Get at least half a dozen quotes. As your credit and driving history have improved, it's time to go for different insurers who take account of this.
Aye, you need 3 years driving experience with a US license to get cheap insurance as I've just found out, now that our motors all paid up for and the inlaws are taking their name off the title etc.....average quote I got for full coverage was $830 for 6 month cover, reduced to $750 is paid up front...but did find one through the Concorde group or whatever it was, I think it's mostly new england but they offered $725 for annual coverage, it was more, but they let me use my UK license issue date so that I wasn't charged as a new driver, just a rate for someone that had transfered to a maine license which saved a tiny sum.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 1:05 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, you need 3 years driving experience with a US license to get cheap insurance as I've just found out, now that our motors all paid up for and the inlaws are taking their name off the title etc.....average quote I got for full coverage was $830 for 6 month cover, reduced to $750 is paid up front...but did find one through the Concorde group or whatever it was, I think it's mostly new england but they offered $725 for annual coverage, it was more, but they let me use my UK license issue date so that I wasn't charged as a new driver, just a rate for someone that had transfered to a maine license which saved a tiny sum.

Three is often quoted. However, two is better than none. And if you can find a company aiming for new drivers with two years without claims hoping to keep them after they've hit the three, you're quids in. I very much doubt however that the criteria are set at 23 months and 3 weeks and six days -- hence the suggestion to have a good blast at two. Nothing is written in stone in the financial industry!

What have you wasted? Couple of hours to document everything and put in for quotes. The bigger the bill, the more worthwhile it is! It won't affect her credit score - insurance enquiries aren't counted by FICO.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rockgurl

I take it you were under 25 when you got the car considering the stupid high insurance........my dayghter pays $2500 per year on a car worth $5000
Old Oct 21st 2005, 3:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
What have you wasted? Couple of hours to document everything and put in for quotes. The bigger the bill, the more worthwhile it is! It won't affect her credit score - insurance enquiries aren't counted by FICO.
it's even worse when we do the insurance as the missus for primary as she doesn't have a license *l* I've only got a maine license for a year and not much in credit history.....though we could get pretty cheap insurance if we only wanted liability...but as we don't live in bangor or portland, we can't afford not to have full cover because without the motor, we'd be shafted, and it's so easy to have an accident in this state, bloomin' deer, moose, new york drivers and snow *lol*
Old Oct 21st 2005, 3:26 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psb182
I take it you were under 25 when you got the car considering the stupid high insurance........my dayghter pays $2500 per year on a car worth $5000
LOL! I wish, luv. 37 and counting at the time. Quite an insult coz I had 15 years no claims bonus in the UK which counts for shit. I was paying £30 a month back in Blighty so it's a hard pill to swallow. PLUS I'm a better driver than most I encounter on the road. No one ever said it would be fair!
Old Oct 21st 2005, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by kevntrace
I'd recommend Japanese for quality, reliability and typically better re-sale value. I'd recommend either Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4. Both are "SUVs" as such, but are still small and based on car platforms. They give you the benefit of a slightly taller ride, very light off-road capability and car-like handling. They are also reasonably economical compared to US motors.

I wouldn't buy from a private seller unless you feel extremely comfortable looking at cars and judging their condition - or the car is still under factory warranty.

I would consider buying a used car from a (manufacturer) dealer so long as they offer a certified used vehicle program (should be no probs with Honda or Toyota dealers).

Check out the forums on edmunds.com for discussions on buying experiences and ownership experiences. And Edmund's TMV pricing gives you a good idea of vehicle prices so you don't get ripped off.

Good luck!
I looked into certified cars from a honda dealer and they were really expensive. I need to shop around I think. I miss the ford fiesta I drove in England!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.