British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What car to buy? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-car-buy-332494/)

Shahlax Oct 20th 2005 3:33 am

What car to buy?

I need to buy a car for myself. I want something small and preferebly Japanese at a cheap price. It seems American cars are cheaper but is it worth getting them as they guzzle more gas plus they break down frequently? What are your experiences?

Is it better to get finance from a dealer or get a car loan?

Is it worth buying a car that isn't certified from a private seller?

Ray Oct 20th 2005 3:37 am

Re: What car to buy?

Originally Posted by Shahlax
I need to buy a car for myself. I want something small and preferebly Japanese at a cheap price. It seems American cars are cheaper but is it worth getting them as they guzzle more gas plus they break down frequently? What are your experiences?

Buy cheap ... get cheap ...
Finance depends on you circumstance
warranties ain't worth a light ..unless its a new car ..

Lord Lionheart Oct 20th 2005 3:47 am

Toyota Camry are very reliable as are Honda Accords, but Honda's hold their value, for obvious reasons. I've always done okay with Chevy's too, the parts are cheap..... but I can do the basics myself, Starter, altnernator, fuel pump etc.
Don't forget Carfax.com to check the history.

britontour Oct 20th 2005 3:48 am

I was given a few good tips and web sites on this thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330925

I found carfacts worth doing to check the car history and if your cars labelled a lemon.

http://www.carfacts.com

fatbrit Oct 20th 2005 3:57 am

As you're obviously green, dealer will take you to the cleaners on the car, the loan and anything else s/he fancies. Start your reading and studying here: www.carbuyingtips.com. Don't start buying till you fully understand what you're doing! Otherwise, I predict a mortgage-sized car payment for the next 72 months on something that is worth far less than you owe.

What's your credit history like? How much have you got in readies?

For something small and cheap, I'd look at Chevy Cavalier, Saturn SL, diddy Pontiacs, etc. They guzzle gas when compared to a Eurobox, but not by US standards. But then again you're not paying European prices for fuel. Also, spares are cheap, any dodo can work on them, they're cheap to insure (as presumably you don't have a US driving history), etc.

Shahlax Oct 20th 2005 4:05 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit
As you're obviously green, dealer will take you to the cleaners on the car, the loan and anything else s/he fancies. Start your reading and studying here: www.carbuyingtips.com. Don't start buying till you fully understand what you're doing! Otherwise, I predict a mortgage-sized car payment for the next 72 months on something that is worth far less than you owe.

What's your credit history like? How much have you got in readies?

For something small and cheap, I'd look at Chevy Cavalier, Saturn SL, diddy Pontiacs, etc. They guzzle gas when compared to a Eurobox, but not by US standards. But then again you're not paying European prices for fuel. Also, spares are cheap, any dodo can work on them, they're cheap to insure (as presumably you don't have a US driving history), etc.

Don't know what my credit history is like as have lived here only a year. Maybe I can buy it in my husband's name. Can I do that and still insure in my name?

Shahlax Oct 20th 2005 4:07 am

Originally Posted by britontour
I was given a few good tips and web sites on this thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330925

I found carfacts worth doing to check the car history and if your cars labelled a lemon.

http://www.carfacts.com

Thanks. Looks like japanese is the way to go.

britontour Oct 20th 2005 4:11 am

I want something small

Don't know what sort of cars people drive where you are but they all drive twin cab trucks and I would want to be in anything too small if one of them happens to head your way.

If you can try and find someone who knows about cars, on the whole I've found American's pretty friendly and helpful if you ask.

I got one of the guys brother from the bar I goto to have a look at the car for me, just cost me a few beers well worth it.

Fatbrit's right dealers are well dodgy.

fatbrit Oct 20th 2005 4:15 am

Don't know what my credit history is like as have lived here only a year. Maybe I can buy it in my husband's name. Can I do that and still insure in my name?

You can buy it in both your names if you like. Which will be cheaper on the insurance and/or finance depends on his history.

You can be here 99 years and still have no credit history. However, this will make life expensive and difficult for you. Quick guide here: http://britishexpats.com/articles/000090.html
You should be able to piggyback on his credit PROVIDED it is good. If not, keep yours separate.

britontour Oct 20th 2005 4:55 am

Credit history was what killed me on the insurance as well, the girl gave me several different quotes, with a UK license, with a US license but we were only talking about $20 difference she told me the only way to get it down was to get a credit rating, so the advice about getting some kind of credit history is well worth it.

Bob Oct 20th 2005 5:34 am

How long you want the motor and visa status would help...as it'll affect insurance....selling the motor etc...if it's only for a year, get a banger and just dump it, a chevy lumina would do...cheap as chips, gets alright milage and fairly reliable...windscreen tends to shatter a bit with stone chips and stupid cold though...well BIL's has gone twice since he had his.

dunroving Oct 20th 2005 10:37 am

Get a 5-8 year old Ford Ranger or Mazda B-Series truck. Cheap, reliable, great workhorse.

Duncan Roberts Oct 20th 2005 11:49 am

Mazda 3, best economy car, maybe even the best car I've ever driven.

CarlM Oct 20th 2005 12:08 pm

Honda Civics seem to get a lot of good publicicty, and theyre always easy to sell afterwards. American cars in the lower price ranges are all complete sh*te in my opinion and should be avoided..

Angry White Pyjamas Oct 20th 2005 12:20 pm

Why have something small and Japanese when you can have something HUGE and American with a 5.5L V8, preferably with a rebel flag on the back window? Balls to that...the small jap mobiles are for when Im back in Euroland.