Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What brought you to the USA?

Wikiposts

What brought you to the USA?

Old Feb 11th 2006, 2:45 am
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What brought you to the USA?

The USAF. Met the other half in Greece. We got married 2 years later. We were lucky and stayed in Europe 13 years ,we've been here since '99.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:01 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Nice thread
Got sent out here to transition a project back home and met the OH. After 3 years of visits back and forth managed to land a GC through the lottery.
Would love to go back home, but have to give this place a proper go, so another year at least before any changes. Makes it bloody complicated that the OH is a yank though, but at least I'm not married yet
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

possible adventure, something to do and well, bugger, that's been a waste of time....but what the hell, we're here now...
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:08 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Nice thread
Got sent out here to transition a project back home and met the OH. After 3 years of visits back and forth managed to land a GC through the lottery.
Would love to go back home, but have to give this place a proper go, so another year at least before any changes. Makes it bloody complicated that the OH is a yank though, but at least I'm not married yet
You'd have to go home for the civil ceremony any way, I dont think they are regonised here though!
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:09 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
What was the original reason that you moved to the USA or Canada? Not necessarily what keeps you here (there), but what made you come here in the first place. So many of us seem to say that we would go home in a heartbeat, so what was the event or reason that made you take the plunge and move? For me it was meeting my American husband 16 years ago in Britain and moving with him. If it had not been for that chance meeting my life would be so incredibly different right now and I would probably still be living in Britain.
I came to take advantage of the US's wonderful higher education system (I studied here).
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:10 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
You'd have to go home for the civil ceremony any way, I dont think they are regonised here though!
Now, now patrick - no need for the toys to come out of the pram old son.
Perhaps this will help to ease some of your pain...
http://www.regaine.co.uk/
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:21 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

I have worked for large US corporation since 96 and two years ago they offered me a big promotion and an opportunity to come out to California. I am a permanent US employee and having just got Green cards that they sponsored and paid for so we are probably going nowhere at the moment (nor want to - we love it)
The only issues is that the division I work for here in CA is a relatively small business and so to "get-on" we would have move to the Mid West where we have 35,000 employees at the "mother ship" - not very appealing when its 80f outside today
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:22 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Eskimo
we would have move to the Mid West where we have 35,000 employees at the "mother ship"
Come on in and join us - the water's lovely
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:26 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Come on in and join us - the water's lovely
I'd have to have rocks in my head - I go up every month and it makes me want to cry - I'd go back to Europe first .....I would have stayed in the UK if was you
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:27 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Eskimo
I'd have to have rocks in my head - I go up every month and it makes me want to cry, Id go back to Europe first .....Id have stayed in the UK if was you
The brochure they sent me was full of pics of beaches and mountains
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:34 am

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Like Clydegirl, the USAF, met hubby in the UK where he managed to stay for 6 years, don't mind living in the US, hubby has just put in for a SDA, if he gets it we are looking at a move to Tx for 4 years, after that he would like to do another overseas tour, who knows?
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:37 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Elvira
And where will your kids go when they leave home?

Dunno. Thats up to them, hence the probable dually citizenship in the meantime, then they can go study in the UK, EU, US or wherever they want.

We have one 19year old currently languishing in the UK.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:39 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Dunno. Thats up to them, hence the probable dually citizenship in the meantime, then they can go study in the UK, EU, US or wherever they want.

We have one 19year old currently languishing in the UK.

Why is he/she languishing?
Old Feb 11th 2006, 4:06 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I came to take advantage of the US's wonderful higher education system (I studied here).
Is that a joke?
Old Feb 11th 2006, 4:15 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby was USAF, we met & married in England. He finished his enlistment there (was in UK for 5 years). He basically promised me a better life in the US & I was willing to give it a go & said, I'd give it a few years. Been here for 15 months so far & don't see anything better, other than the weather. We'd be better off in England, but we'll see how things are in 21 months time. Tick tick tick!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.