Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What Brit Food can I Take to an International Lunch?

What Brit Food can I Take to an International Lunch?

Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Brit Food can I Take to an International Lunch?

Originally Posted by sambapink
Can't tell you how much I miss yorkshire puddings - I have tried and failed so many times to make them here... I think its the oven its just doesn't want to get hot enough.. Thats the key right JG?
I dunno. The points I remember are....leave the batter to stand for 30 mins. Put the baking tin/s well greased...in the oven until they are blue (smoking)...quickly pour in the batter and put the tray in the oven. Do not open the oven until the Yorkies are done.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I dunno. The points I remember are....leave the batter to stand for 30 mins. Put the baking tin/s well greased...in the oven until they are blue (smoking)...quickly pour in the batter and put the tray in the oven. Do not open the oven until the Yorkies are done.
Well it can't be me.. its the oven!!!!
Old Feb 17th 2009, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

You could well be right there! I don't think I've ever had a decent oven - one thing I have found to help though is to get an oven thermometer. Every oven I've ever had was actually a lot lower temp than the dial said. My yorkies come up fine...

Might be worth a try?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

If you can't get the oven hot enough for the initial smoking pan then put the pan on the hob to heat up first...I've done this before and then put the yorkies in the oven...worked fine! Best recipe I've used is a simple equal amounts of egg, flour and milk (use a "cup" ) no need to leave it to stand if you don't have the time. I think I got the recipe many moons ago from Anthony Worral Thompson on ready, steady, cook. Yorkies are fab!! Bring on the gravy
Old Feb 18th 2009, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't tell you how much I miss yorkshire puddings - I have tried and failed so many times to make them here... I think its the oven its just doesn't want to get hot enough.. Thats the key right JG?

You're asking Moderator Girl about cooking
She doesn't even know where her kitchen is, her OH has to draw her a map.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Michelmas
While it is freely available in the UK, what makes a curry typically british? It's Indian.

Now typical dishes [apart from what has been mentioned] would be
Bangers and Mash with some mushy peas thrown in,
Black pudding
cucumber sarnies

to name just a few of the top of my head
lol...I have to agree. Glad someone noted that. It sure does seem to be a big thing back in Britain, but i never thought of it as British because it's not.

I'd love to get a good veggie curry recipe, though, being a vegetarian also!
Old Feb 19th 2009, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Another big hit at parties I have taken "Brit food" too, has always been "welsh rarebit", real easy to do and you can warm it up under a broiler when you get there, or just have it cold (yummy)
I usually toast bagels, then spread the rarebit (grated cheese ketchup and chopped onion) on top of the bagel, finish it off under broiler, until it's all bubbly and crispy! It's great fun listening to "yanks" trying to say welsh rarebit, they always say rabbit! and then they get real wierd about trying it cause they think it has fluffy bunnies in it! lol
try it at home for supper one night, it's really good:-)
huggies, Kim x
Old Feb 20th 2009, 12:55 am
Just Joined

edgeog is just really niceedgeog is just really niceedgeog is just really niceedgeog is just really niceedgeog is just really niceedgeog is just really niceedgeog is just really niceedgeog is just really nice

For Yorkshire puds - If the oven is a bit dicy spead them out a bit and use those little pyrex cups with plenty of grease.

My vote though goes to pork pies with Branston pickle (need a receipe?) and black pudding.

Faggots are a bit adventuresome and the ingredients might not pass muster!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 1:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Another big hit at parties I have taken "Brit food" too, has always been "welsh rarebit", real easy to do and you can warm it up under a broiler when you get there, or just have it cold (yummy)
I usually toast bagels, then spread the rarebit (grated cheese ketchup and chopped onion) on top of the bagel, finish it off under broiler, until it's all bubbly and crispy! It's great fun listening to "yanks" trying to say welsh rarebit, they always say rabbit! and then they get real wierd about trying it cause they think it has fluffy bunnies in it! lol
try it at home for supper one night, it's really good:-)
huggies, Kim x
That sounds more like a sort of pizza. I've never heard of using ketchup in welsh rarebit before...mustard yes but not ketchup.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 1:33 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Bubble and squeak lol they'll never invite you again though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_and_squeak
Old Feb 20th 2009, 3:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I would take an Egg and Bacon Pie. It's not really a Quiche so not classed as French

I make mine with a potato pie crust instead of using pastry. I just boil the spuds mash them and then put them in a pyrex pie dish, pushing the mashed potato into the shape of the dish and then lightly coat the potato with Olive Oil, bake it for a while until it is slightly crusty. I then make a quiche type mixture of eggs and add cheese mushrooms and Canadian Bacon, tip it over the potatos and then put back in the oven and bake. Serve with a salad and it is yummy!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
If you can't get the oven hot enough for the initial smoking pan then put the pan on the hob to heat up first...I've done this before and then put the yorkies in the oven...worked fine! Best recipe I've used is a simple equal amounts of egg, flour and milk (use a "cup" ) no need to leave it to stand if you don't have the time. I think I got the recipe many moons ago from Anthony Worral Thompson on ready, steady, cook. Yorkies are fab!! Bring on the gravy
I'll try that Lisa.. I think i'll just ignore the knobs on the oven and whack it right up!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I would take an Egg and Bacon Pie. It's not really a Quiche so not classed as French

I make mine with a potato pie crust instead of using pastry. I just boil the spuds mash them and then put them in a pyrex pie dish, pushing the mashed potato into the shape of the dish and then lightly coat the potato with Olive Oil, bake it for a while until it is slightly crusty. I then make a quiche type mixture of eggs and add cheese mushrooms and Canadian Bacon, tip it over the potatos and then put back in the oven and bake. Serve with a salad and it is yummy!

Ooohh I like - especially the fact that I wouldn't have to make pastry

Last edited by sambapink; Feb 20th 2009 at 3:16 am.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 3:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I'll try that Lisa.. I think i'll just ignore the knobs on the oven and whack it right up!
Never heard of substituting spuds for pastry before..but I like it.

Over and out from Moderator Girl.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 3:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Never heard of substituting spuds for pastry before..but I like it.

Over and out from Moderator Girl.

That's why I like it as my pastry making is always hit and miss

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.