Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What to bring?

What to bring?

Old Jan 5th 2010, 4:47 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to bring?

Anything you have a particular 'taste' for.

Yes, you can get 100 flavors of toothpaste, but will you get the mint chocolate chip cookie cream flavor that you really like? Of the scented washing powder you prefer to make your shirts smell like whatever? Some of those items you might want to consider if you are not sure they are here.

One other suggestion--if you are bringing a computer, make a copy of the hard drive (onto another hard drive). Hard drives are really cheap (<$50) so you can get one, throw it in the computer and make a 'clone' copy of the hard drive. Bring the clone hard drive (about the size of a paperback book) with you and your computer in the shipping crate. Always best to be prepared for disaster.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

BritBazaar Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Set up a subscription to your fave magazines and have them sent to your old British address after setting up your change of address for the USA with Royal Mail. Now, instead of paying overseas subscription prices for the postage of your mags - they will be automatically fowarded to you here! My Grazia magazine arrives about one day later than in the UK and it doesn't cost over a hundred quid a year to post it to me! Simples!!
And, you can shop at <snip> which (declaration) is owned by me after you arrive.
Best wishes. Yvonne

Last edited by Sue; Mar 15th 2010 at 3:20 pm. Reason: Please do not include links to your site in your post. Thx
Old Jan 5th 2010, 6:30 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritBazaar Girl
Set up a subscription to your fave magazines and have them sent to your old British address after setting up your change of address for the USA with Royal Mail. Now, instead of paying overseas subscription prices for the postage of your mags - they will be automatically fowarded to you here! My Grazia magazine arrives about one day later than in the UK and it doesn't cost over a hundred quid a year to post it to me! Simples!!
And, you can shop at thebritishbazaar.com which (declaration) is owned by me after you arrive.
Best wishes. Yvonne
I just heard about that word on the radio. Very popular right now due to some TV commercial right?
Old Jan 5th 2010, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody else remember the bloke who wanted to bring his own toilet seats? And got upset when we told him he was daft?
Old Jan 5th 2010, 7:40 pm
I Still Remember

NAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really nice

Simples! - Yep, that's from a car insurance advert - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlKXt3wEZhI

Some guy wanted to take his own toilet seat?!?! That's madness.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, loads of replies! Cheers guys!

We're moving to Fort Collins - anyone here living there (if you follow me!)

Will definitely bring some kitchen stuff - thought about bringing a few bits of our own crockery and cutlery in the air freight, and the rest with the main shipping. Will also include some duvet covers/pillowcases (and the duvet to go with them!!), and I might try and put some personal things, pictures, some of our favourite decorative items, that sort of thing, in the air freight. Computer gear and camera gear are essential for hubby's work, so they'll come on the flight, and will bring the ski boots and maybe even the mountain bikes at that point too.

The Monster Munch is a great idea - think I might also add a wee stash of Irn Bru!

Think I'll pass on the England flag though - I'm Scottish and I hate football!!

Sadly, what I'd really love to bring is my two guinea pigs, but I don't think I can. They don't seem to fall under the pet passport scheme, which means that whilst I could take them across, I couldn't bring them back without putting them into quarantine. And they're both over 5 years old, so I think the journey would be an awful lot for them to cope with. I'll be heartbroken to leave them behind, but I know my mum will look after them well.

Last edited by MadRad; Jan 5th 2010 at 7:51 pm. Reason: Further info
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:18 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby brought over a pillowcase....lol that was his comfort thing...I suggest lots and lots of lil food items that you probably will not find here unless you go to a Cost Plus world Market or you can find a specialty section in the grocers.

Lots and lots of pictures ( which you can mail beforehand )

your favorite bath towel?
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:28 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint
Hubby brought over a pillowcase....lol that was his comfort thing...
I swear by my own pillow or pillow case when traveling. With airline pillows going from miniscule to nonexistant, having something (clean) to put your head on and big enough that you can stuff things into it (i.e. a coat, extra sweater / blanket) means you get a really nice pillow for your flight. Makes a load of difference, so much so that we often take a pillow as our carry on item.

Of course I do a lot of 14 hour flights, so it might be more necessary than for a short hop over the Atlantic.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint

Lots and lots of pictures ( which you can mail beforehand )
Aye, do the tourist thing of all the places you fancy going but haven't bothered in the past, as well as the dorky stuff, local park, pub or whatever places you like locally that might mean anything to you. It's kind of nice having a little photo album with friends and places if you get home sick, or just to show new friends/neighbours or your kids if you have young ones.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:14 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Your British sense of humour (you'll need it)
No leave it behind us Americans only have humor
Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:32 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

I agree - bring a kitchen scale.

the other thing I've had difficulty getting is chewing gum (!) I don't like sticks and prefer the little coated chunks - but the only ones I can get here taste like germaline.

Yuck!