British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What to bring? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-bring-647384/)

MadRad Jan 4th 2010 7:10 pm

What to bring?

Hi,

OH and I are moving to Colorado in late February/early March. It's just the two of us, and we'll be going into a fully furnished rental when we arrive. We are allowed approximately 200kgs of air freight, reminder of our stuff won't be shipped until after our UK house is sold so realistically we're looking at six months or so down the line.

What would you recommend bringing with you at the early stages to help you settle in and feel at home? Apart from our clothes, nothing else is actually essential, but I'd rather not get out there and think I wish I'd brought my x/y/z.

Any tips?

Thanks!

lansbury Jan 4th 2010 8:34 pm

Re: What to bring?

If you have a desk top computer, bring the hard drive(s) from it so you will have access to the data on them.

Wintersong Jan 4th 2010 9:31 pm

If you are likely to be using UK recipe books, bring your measuring spoons/jugs etc. The measurement units are different so, unless you want to spend all your time googling conversions, bring the stuff :D

lisa67 Jan 4th 2010 10:31 pm

hot water bottle! :)

avanutria Jan 4th 2010 11:14 pm

I brought some family keepsakes because I would have been crushed if they'd been damaged or lost in the shipping.

Juswus Jan 4th 2010 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Wintersong (Post 8218456)
If you are likely to be using UK recipe books, bring your measuring spoons/jugs etc. The measurement units are different so, unless you want to spend all your time googling conversions, bring the stuff :D

that's a really good one....yes I hate having to down tools and get on the computer when I'm in the middle of cooking soemthing!

Bring Monster Munch (especially pickled onion flavour). You can make a fortune selling them for outrageous prices to us lot :thumbsup:

Good luck with the move. :)

tonrob Jan 4th 2010 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Juswus (Post 8218661)
that's a really good one....yes I hate having to down tools and get on the computer when I'm in the middle of cooking soemthing!

Bring Monster Munch (especially pickled onion flavour). You can make a fortune selling them for outrageous prices to us lot :thumbsup:

Good luck with the move. :)

Do they still have artificial sweeteners in POMM? I was gutted when they started adding them... :(

Juswus Jan 4th 2010 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 8218670)
Do they still have artificial sweeteners in POMM? I was gutted when they started adding them... :(

I don't know:unsure:
when did they start adding them? It's been 2 years since my last Monster Munch (sounds like an AA meeting:lol: )

joto Jan 4th 2010 11:36 pm

Bring any kitchen utensils that you like using. New ones take a bit of getting used to. Possibly bedding if the rental doesn't provide any and also towels. Bring foodstuffs that you can't live without but check that they are allowed to be imported. Bring cold weather clothes and some for warmer weather as well. You never know what the climate is going to throw at you here.

md95065 Jan 4th 2010 11:42 pm

Definitely agree on the kitchen utensils - it will make you feel more "at home" - just don't bother with anything that require electrical power.

Some bedding might also be a good idea but be aware that bed sizes are different and UK fitted sheets won't "fit" ...

Also definitely bring personal items that you care about - pictures, for example.

tonrob Jan 5th 2010 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Juswus (Post 8218674)
I don't know:unsure:
when did they start adding them? It's been 2 years since my last Monster Munch (sounds like an AA meeting:lol: )

I had a bag in Drayton Manor in 1995 when I first noticed them. Was absolutely gutted. Not had any since but maybe the Nutrasweet 'swirl of death' backlash may have changed things for the better...?

Bob Jan 5th 2010 1:12 am

Warm coat and clothes, till you get decent gear over here.

Also bring over any decent curtains you have....sure you can get nice curtains over here, but by hell anything that's decently insulated costs an arm and a leg and/or a bit ugly.

Same goes for duvet and cases for them.

And bring a can/bottle opener so you don't have to faff around the first couple of nights.

Tarkak9 Jan 5th 2010 1:24 pm

agree with joto and bob

Although it will be heading into Spring when you get here, don't let it fool you; it still can be cold one day and mild the next. Expect snow in March.
The altitude and dryness is something to get adjusted to so drink plenty of water and use skin moisturizer!
With your rental, before unpacking anything... do a comprehensive walkthrough... preferably with the LL or management company present - take pics of the place especially if you find blemishes/damage no matter how small and trivial, make copies for yourself and the LL/management.
Welcome to Colorado! Whereabouts will you be moving to?

BritishGuy36 Jan 5th 2010 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by MadRad (Post 8218141)
What would you recommend bringing with you at the early stages to help you settle in and feel at home?

Brown sauce
Proper biscuits
Your British sense of humour (you'll need it)
Lots of money

Jaxbar Jan 5th 2010 3:05 pm

Yorkshire pudding tins, for mince pies!

Tea

Spices, I have finally have almost run out of my indian spices that used to cost about 50p and now a tiny package is $5.00!

Any packet sauces that you like (but not with meat products in)

Chocolate/crisps/biscuits

And very important ...go out and visit all the places you love, take pictures imprint the memores in your mind, you will be glad you did.

Oh and bring some England flags over for the world cup!!