Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is the best place to live in the USA?

What is the best place to live in the USA?

Old Oct 1st 2014, 11:29 am
Just Joined

202 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is the best place to live in the USA?

A forum thread for anyone to share their opinion on the topic of USA States and where is the best place to move to. Best weather, best shops, best houses, best culture etc.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 11:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the best place to live in the USA?

Originally Posted by 202
A forum thread for anyone to share their opinion on the topic of USA States and where is the best place to move to. Best weather, best shops, best houses, best culture etc.
Moved from the Immigration forum to somewhere more appropriate
Old Oct 1st 2014, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Thank you!
Old Oct 1st 2014, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Surely it all depends on personal preference? Do you like the heat or the cold? Are you religious or not? Are you rich or poor? Etc.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Well I love the heat, I'm not religious and I'm not rich or poor to be honest I'm average.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on where you can find an employer to sponsor your visa...
Old Oct 1st 2014, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

Oh thank you fozzyb, I'm just trying to look at a range of nice places but yeah I'll bear that in mind as well
Old Oct 1st 2014, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fozzyb
Depends on where you can find an employer to sponsor your visa...
Visa?? Just get on a plane and go, no?
Old Oct 1st 2014, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

You need money...from a job...to get a job...you need...a...visa...okay??
Old Oct 1st 2014, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Well you've said on another thread that you want to live by the coast, so that narrows it down a bit.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 12:21 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Another variable (among many) is whether the person moving to this ideal spot is looking for a job or not. (He or she could be retired, independently wealthy, or runs an internet based business.)

Where I live, houses are cheap and plentiful. I just saw a nicely maintained three bedroom house, built in 1856, with a good sized yard; $37,000. Shopping is OK so long as you like Lowes, Tractor Supply and Walmart. Surprisingly, the cultural offerings are good; we have a thriving music school at our branch of the state university, so there are frequent free concerts and world class visiting artists. Shakespeare festival coming up this weekend. Ottawa with its museums and National Arts Centre etc. is just an hour north of here. Also non stop service to LHR from Ottawa.

But jobs? Either Burger King or Dunkin Donuts, or buy some (very cheap) land and become a farmer...
Old Oct 1st 2014, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Yeah I do but if I can't then I'll have to look at additional areas.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Robin1234 I think I'll get a degree first but that area sounds good
Old Oct 1st 2014, 12:32 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 202
Robin1234 I think I'll get a degree first but that area sounds good
I was being flippant when I said jobs are Burger King etc. Like many rural areas, there are plenty of better paid professional and management level jobs, usually filled by national or international searches (professor, school teacher, librarian, assistant district attorney, county bureaucrats and planners etc. etc.)

As you allude to, you can become eligible for those positions if you get an advanced degree and an employer chooses to sponsor you. For instance, colleges and universities regularly bring in a proportion of their new faculty members from abroad.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 12:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 202
You are asking extremely broad questions...questions that have been asked and answered hundreds of times before. Asking questions such as best houses, best shops etc is likely to get you replies that you aren't going to like. Please read through old threads before opening threads...take a look at the Wiki...use BE's Search engine...Google etc...then come back and ask questions.

As stated in your first thread...BE is a forum for adults. Please bear this in mind when posting. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.