British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What is the best place to live in the USA? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-best-place-live-usa-844243/)

202 Oct 1st 2014 11:29 am

What is the best place to live in the USA?

A forum thread for anyone to share their opinion on the topic of USA States and where is the best place to move to. Best weather, best shops, best houses, best culture etc. :amen:

Pollyana Oct 1st 2014 11:43 am

Re: What is the best place to live in the USA?

Originally Posted by 202 (Post 11424422)
A forum thread for anyone to share their opinion on the topic of USA States and where is the best place to move to. Best weather, best shops, best houses, best culture etc. :amen:

Moved from the Immigration forum to somewhere more appropriate :)

202 Oct 1st 2014 11:45 am

Thank you!

andrewlohnes Oct 1st 2014 12:01 pm

Surely it all depends on personal preference? Do you like the heat or the cold? Are you religious or not? Are you rich or poor? Etc.

202 Oct 1st 2014 12:04 pm

Well I love the heat, I'm not religious and I'm not rich or poor to be honest I'm average.

fozzyb Oct 1st 2014 12:11 pm

Depends on where you can find an employer to sponsor your visa...

202 Oct 1st 2014 12:12 pm

Oh thank you fozzyb, I'm just trying to look at a range of nice places but yeah I'll bear that in mind as well

andrewlohnes Oct 1st 2014 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by fozzyb (Post 11424465)
Depends on where you can find an employer to sponsor your visa...

Visa?? Just get on a plane and go, no? :p

202 Oct 1st 2014 12:19 pm

You need money...from a job...to get a job...you need...a...visa...okay?? :)

andrewlohnes Oct 1st 2014 12:21 pm

Well you've said on another thread that you want to live by the coast, so that narrows it down a bit.

robin1234 Oct 1st 2014 12:21 pm

Another variable (among many) is whether the person moving to this ideal spot is looking for a job or not. (He or she could be retired, independently wealthy, or runs an internet based business.)

Where I live, houses are cheap and plentiful. I just saw a nicely maintained three bedroom house, built in 1856, with a good sized yard; $37,000. Shopping is OK so long as you like Lowes, Tractor Supply and Walmart. Surprisingly, the cultural offerings are good; we have a thriving music school at our branch of the state university, so there are frequent free concerts and world class visiting artists. Shakespeare festival coming up this weekend. Ottawa with its museums and National Arts Centre etc. is just an hour north of here. Also non stop service to LHR from Ottawa.

But jobs? Either Burger King or Dunkin Donuts, or buy some (very cheap) land and become a farmer...

202 Oct 1st 2014 12:22 pm

Yeah I do but if I can't then I'll have to look at additional areas. :)

202 Oct 1st 2014 12:24 pm

Robin1234 I think I'll get a degree first but that area sounds good

robin1234 Oct 1st 2014 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by 202 (Post 11424487)
Robin1234 I think I'll get a degree first but that area sounds good

I was being flippant when I said jobs are Burger King etc. Like many rural areas, there are plenty of better paid professional and management level jobs, usually filled by national or international searches (professor, school teacher, librarian, assistant district attorney, county bureaucrats and planners etc. etc.)

As you allude to, you can become eligible for those positions if you get an advanced degree and an employer chooses to sponsor you. For instance, colleges and universities regularly bring in a proportion of their new faculty members from abroad.

Jerseygirl Oct 1st 2014 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by 202 (Post 11424422)

You are asking extremely broad questions...questions that have been asked and answered hundreds of times before. Asking questions such as best houses, best shops etc is likely to get you replies that you aren't going to like. Please read through old threads before opening threads...take a look at the Wiki...use BE's Search engine...Google etc...then come back and ask questions.

As stated in your first thread...BE is a forum for adults. Please bear this in mind when posting. Thanks.