Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What American things do the Brits like?

What American things do the Brits like?

Old Jul 26th 2011, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of
Default Re: What American things do the Brits like?

Originally Posted by TimberHut
'if I'd wanted a bottle of cough syrup I'd have bleedin' asked for some'

Root Beer is strange stuff. You either really like it - or can't stand it.
Root Beer really is an acquired taste - very sweet to some. But put some ice cold RB in a big frosted mug, add a couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream and - voila - you have a "black cow" - really refreshing on a hot day 'cause the ice cream dulls the over-sweetness of the RB! I'd think British ice cream would go great in a "black cow".
Old Jul 26th 2011, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Root Beer really is an acquired taste - very sweet to some. But put some ice cold RB in a big frosted mug, add a couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream and - voila - you have a "black cow" - really refreshing on a hot day 'cause the ice cream dulls the over-sweetness of the RB! I'd think British ice cream would go great in a "black cow".
I find root beer is drinkable if you add a spirit to it. Vodka goes quite well with it.

Otherwise - I'll give it a miss. Nasty stuff.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Love Buckees! Stop there every time we go to San Antonio
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SalopianFunk
Coming from Houston, surely you have to bring someone back a cowboy hat.
Or boots...those things are lovely
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

American cigarettes for the smokers. Something like Lucky Strikes or better still a brand that has an American spelling on the pack. The reverse of this is bring back some UK cigarettes for your American smoker friends. Rothmans and Dunhill are good brands to get.
Lucky Strikes are pretty iconic, that or American Spirit, the rest are meh.

Speaking of Brit smokes, the local BJ's sell Benny Hedges...any one still smoke those? Always school bike rack fodder those
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Root Beer is lovely, if it's proper root beer, the home made style stuff...the big branded stuff like MUG etc all taste like piss though if you get them from a fastfood joint dispenser.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I've ever taken food back to the UK. I take Juicy Couture stuff back for my niece. Perfume or Estee Lauder/Clinique goodies for the females...much cheaper than the UK. Monet costume jewellery is also much, much cheaper in the US. Sometimes I will take clothing.

The guys are the most difficult...a bottle from the duty free or clothes for them.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 6:46 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
.......and make sure you use their restrooms. They are the best in the WHOLE of the US.
Is Luling just off I-10? Now you've made me want to "stop by" on my way home from work just to use the restrooms!

I'm thinking peanut brittle, jalapeno jelly, salsas of all kinds, pralines, Mexican coconut candy....
Old Jul 26th 2011, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Is Luling just off I-10? Now you've made me want to "stop by" on my way home from work just to use the restrooms!

I'm thinking peanut brittle, jalapeno jelly, salsas of all kinds, pralines, Mexican coconut candy....

Yep, New Brunfels to Luling on I10 is about 30 min drive.Can't miss it, it seems like everyone stops at Buc'cees. Although there are quite a few in Texas and most of the food you mentioned they sell
Old Jul 26th 2011, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helwardman
Love Buckees! Stop there every time we go to San Antonio
Old Jul 26th 2011, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
Root Beer is lovely, if it's proper root beer, the home made style stuff...the big branded stuff like MUG etc all taste like piss though if you get them from a fastfood joint dispenser.
You've got that right! The stuff you buy in the stores is really garbage. The place that used to have the best root beer was A&W, which was a hamburger stand but their mainstay beverage was their root beer. I'm sure it doesn't taste the same as it once did since they've no doubt changed the ingredients to keep it down pricewise (or increase their profits). Proper root beer is crisp, sharp and tastes truly of the root its made from.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 12:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Speaking of Rootbeer though....pretty sure you can't get in the UK, Moxie!

It is awesome

Don't see as much of it out of Maine these days though, but it is out there...
Old Jul 28th 2011, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Anyway - it should be called root soda. Not root beer.

Surely it is contravening the Trade Description Act?
Old Jul 28th 2011, 4:46 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway - it should be called root soda. Not root beer.

Surely it is contravening the Trade Description Act?
Hmm.. what about spruce beer, ginger ale and ginger beer?
Old Jul 28th 2011, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robin1234
Hmm.. what about spruce beer, ginger ale and ginger beer?
Yep - those as well. Ban the lot of 'em!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.