British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What American things do the Brits like? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-american-things-do-brits-like-726278/)

redglade Jul 25th 2011 6:47 pm

What American things do the Brits like?

I'm travelling back home for a couple of weeks and am at a complete loss as to what to take over as gifts for friends and family this time. I've done the bags of Reese's chocolates (mixed reception), Graham Crackers and Hershey bars to show them how to make Smores (the kids liked that), Texas hot salsa (only my brother liked that!) and scenic calenders. Now I need a new idea - what have you taken over that's been popular?

ljaw2002uk Jul 25th 2011 6:55 pm

Re: What American things do the Brits like?

Butterfinger crisps.:thumbup:

N1cky Jul 25th 2011 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by redglade (Post 9518449)
I'm travelling back home for a couple of weeks and am at a complete loss as to what to take over as gifts for friends and family this time. I've done the bags of Reese's chocolates (mixed reception), Graham Crackers and Hershey bars to show them how to make Smores (the kids liked that), Texas hot salsa (only my brother liked that!) and scenic calenders. Now I need a new idea - what have you taken over that's been popular?

Margarita mix:thumbsup:

Octang Frye Jul 25th 2011 7:02 pm

Wendy Kilbourne.

robin1234 Jul 25th 2011 7:02 pm

The only thing I used to take to my parents that was even remotely appreciated was maple syrup .. the more local & folkloric the better. Maybe they don't produce that in Texas though..

Sarah Jul 25th 2011 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by redglade (Post 9518449)

Last time I went I took a bag of southern grits from Texas for my Dad, a Creole/New Orleans cookbook for my mum. A large bag of buttermilk pancake mix with (real, obviously) maple syrup has always gone down well.
I wouldn't ever take chocolate tbh, (even though I'm partial to Reese's PB cups) unless you wanted to show them how terrible it is over here.

GeoffM Jul 25th 2011 7:12 pm

Reese's and Graham Crackers are common here already - I like the former and the wife seems to have no problem with buying the latter.

I've bought a couple of cookery books over the years - Cajun, Texan etc, stuff you won't find much of in the UK.

I can't think of anything else, sorry!

avanutria Jul 25th 2011 7:33 pm

My DH likes beef jerky. There might be some interesting local varieties in Texas.

Nutmegger Jul 25th 2011 7:40 pm

My niece's kids love to get t-shirts with US motifs -- but obviously NYC has lots to offer in that direction. In years gone by I'd take Yankees baseball caps, but I guess they aren't such a novelty in the UK these days. Do they do a "Remember the Alamo" t-shirt in Texas? :D

Bob Jul 25th 2011 7:47 pm

Pay Days?

Maple Syrup.

Local sports team baseball cap, if they're any good?

Decent beef/venison jerky, but don't know if you can bring that through customs or not?

avanutria Jul 25th 2011 8:16 pm

Hmm, yes; looks like DEFRA doesn't allow beef jerky from the US :(

Bob Jul 25th 2011 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by avanutria (Post 9518674)
Hmm, yes; looks like DEFRA doesn't allow beef jerky from the US :(

Shame really, as there's some really awesome jerky from down south, had a friend who used to get quite a bit sent up from his folks to Boston and it was lovely.

Other nasty stuff to take over, just for the novelty perhaps, packet of Twinkies?

tonrob Jul 25th 2011 8:59 pm

Tins of chipotles in adobo sauce.

Mountain Dew.

Some nice west coast IPA.

md95065 Jul 25th 2011 9:02 pm

Take back some root beer - that will stop them from asking you to bring things for them ...

Bob Jul 25th 2011 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 9518766)
Take back some root beer - that will stop them from asking you to bring things for them ...

:lol:

Though I've seen it in Sainsbury's a fair few times, even their own brand stuff....wasn't entirely terrible of an attempt.