British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   We're off at last (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/were-off-last-896936/)

ChocolateBabz May 31st 2017 5:26 pm

Re: We're off at last

Hi from Pearland, TX (not too far from sugarmooma). Let's see what do I know about Wichita Falls? I drove through once singing Wichita Lineman which apparently is about Wichita, Kansas, but it's the thought that counts right LOL.

Nutmegger May 31st 2017 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz (Post 12263578)
Hi from Pearland, TX (not too far from sugarmooma). Let's see what do I know about Wichita Falls? I drove through once singing Wichita Lineman which apparently is about Wichita, Kansas, but it's the thought that counts right LOL.

I think one should take advantage of any excuse to sing Wichita Lineman! I love joining in on that song! :thumbsup:

scrubbedexpat097 May 31st 2017 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz (Post 12263578)

Ha. I did the same thing. I mean, who wouldn't as soon as you see the signs it just pops into your head:nod:

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12263601)
I think one should take advantage of any excuse to sing Wichita Lineman! I love joining in on that song! :thumbsup:

Everytime we go to Galveston I turn into Glenn Campbell and as for trips through Amarillo,it's one major song fest.

Of course M has no appreciation for my amazing talent . He prefers my singing when I'm behind him on the tryke. With helmets on and the wind blowing he is totally deaf to my musical renditions;):lol:

ian-mstm Jun 1st 2017 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 12263796)
Everytime we go to Galveston I turn into Glenn Campbell and as for trips through Amarillo,it's one major song fest.

Whenever Sheila and I drove to visit my stepson in Lubbock, we'd start singing Gene Pitney songs when we entered Oklahoma!

Ian

scrubbedexpat097 Jun 1st 2017 12:41 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 12263818)
Whenever Sheila and I drove to visit my stepson in Lubbock, we'd start singing Gene Pitney songs when we entered Oklahoma!

Ian

I'm only 24 hours from Tulsa;)

ChocolateBabz Jun 1st 2017 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 12263827)
I'm only 24 hours from Tulsa;)

We also enjoyed Prefab Sprout on our way through Albuquerque, glad we are not the only ones who set our road trips to music.

scrubbedexpat097 Jun 1st 2017 3:09 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz (Post 12263861)
We also enjoyed Prefab Sprout on our way through Albuquerque, glad we are not the only ones who set our road trips to music.

A good excuse to go through California so you can sing "Do you know the way to San Jose":thumbup:

(and yes I did that one as well).

The best one was singing Let's go to San Francisco when we were on our way back from Alcatraz on the ferry.
Even my daughter joined in...and M ignored us!

zzrmark Jun 1st 2017 11:42 am

At this time of year in this state The Proclaimers always come to mind when looking for anything resembling culture (not the yoghurt variety!).

If I were feeling malicious I could just console myself with the fact that many forum members will have Agadoo from Black Lace as their day's earworm. :rofl:
Did I just say that? :thumbdown:

Nutmegger Jun 1st 2017 1:51 pm

I've always wanted to drive across old Route 66, as I can reel off all the towns from the song!

MsElui Jun 1st 2017 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12260605)
I never understand that - I get asked where I'm from/ if I am British an average of once a week, or more. I might get asked if I am Australian once or twice a year on average.

my accent is commented on most days if I am out of the house. The Australian question comes up AT LEAST weekly and always has done (wqe have been in ohio for 7 and not texas for 3 years)

ddsrph Jun 13th 2017 12:21 am

Originally Posted by sarasota chic (Post 12256738)
The rent is $1215 per month for that you get all the utilities and lawn care, you only have to pay for cable. The area is very safe and has plenty of amenities including a pool etc.

How is the move to Texas working out? Is the base housing going to be a good place to live?

sarasota chic Jun 13th 2017 2:58 am

Originally Posted by ddsrph (Post 12271627)
How is the move to Texas working out? Is the base housing going to be a good place to live?

The move has gone okay had a few hiccoughs but have been here almost 3 weeks now, the house on the base is very nice all utilities included in the rent we just pay for cable, the base is safe and quiet so ideal as I'm going to be working nights.