British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   We're off at last (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/were-off-last-896936/)

sarasota chic May 19th 2017 7:15 am

We're off at last

After a very stressful couple of weeks following the job in Shreveport falling through we are finally flying out to the USA next Wednesday. Not to Shreveport or Phoenix but to Wichita Falls Texas. I've landed a job at United Regional Hospital with a far better package than at Shreveport.
We are now looking at accommodation which will most likely be as a civilian on Sheppards Air Force Base which is run by Balfour Beatty!
Is there any peeps on here that live in Wichita Falls if so can you give me a low down on the area.

lizzyq May 19th 2017 8:02 am

Re: We're off at last

So glad to hear that you are finally on your way, it really has been a rollercoaster ride for you over the last few weeks. I have no local knowledge to offer you, but wish you all the best.

sarasota chic May 19th 2017 8:19 am

Originally Posted by lizzyq (Post 12255900)
So glad to hear that you are finally on your way, it really has been a rollercoaster ride for you over the last few weeks. I have no local knowledge to offer you, but wish you all the best.

Thank you 😀😀

ian-mstm May 19th 2017 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by sarasota chic (Post 12255883)
We are now looking at accommodation which will most likely be as a civilian on Sheppards Air Force Base which is run by Balfour Beatty!

I've no idea about the area, but living on an AFB might be a bit... well, loud! Have you considered some of the nearby towns?

Ian

Pulaski May 19th 2017 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 12256022)
I've no idea about the area, but living on an AFB might be a bit... well, loud! Have you considered some of the nearby towns?

Ian

Actually that looks like a pretty cool location - it is a training base, with a lot of non-flying training, as well as a uniquely international NATO training center.
Per Wikipedia:

[Sheppard AFB] is a uniquely manned multinational organization with a USAF wing commander and an Italian Air Force operations group commander in the top two leadership positions. Command and operations officers' positions in the flying training squadrons rotate among the participating nations, while the commander of the 80th Operations Support Squadron is always from the USAF.

Officers from all 13 participating nations fill subordinate leadership positions throughout the wing. Nine nations--Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Italy, The Netherlands, Norway,Turkey, Spain and the United States—provide instructor pilots based on their number of student pilots. Canada, Greece and Spain do not have student pilots in training, but do provide one instructor pilot. The current non-active signatory nations, the United Kingdom and Portugal, do not send student pilots nor do they provide instructor pilots, but retain the right to do so at any time. As an example of this totally integrated structure, an American student pilot may have a Belgian instructor pilot, a Dutch flight commander, a Turkish section commander, an Italian operations officer, and a German squadron commander.

ddsrph May 19th 2017 8:16 pm

After a very stressful couple of weeks following the job in Shreveport falling through we are finally flying out to the USA next Wednesday. Not to Shreveport or Phoenix but to Wichita Falls Texas. I've landed a job at United Regional Hospital with a far better package than at Shreveport.
Is there any peeps on here that live in Wichita Falls if so can you give me a low down on the area.

There has been a lot of reorganization and base consolidation in recent years and probably in this case making a lot of base housing unneeded for military families. It looks nicely kept from photos and I would guess the company leasing it from Air Force for civilian use has a strict contract for maintenance and general upkeep. If the rent is right it should be a great place to live.

scrubbedexpat097 May 19th 2017 11:26 pm

Yay! From my coastal part of Texas, welcome!!:thumbsup:

(We are abut 500 miles from you)

sarasota chic May 20th 2017 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 12256319)
Yay! From my coastal part of Texas, welcome!!:thumbsup:

(We are abut 500 miles from you)

Thank you how do you find Texas? Are the people friendly? I'm looking forward to having a decent steak!!

sarasota chic May 20th 2017 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by ddsrph (Post 12256251)
There has been a lot of reorganization and base consolidation in recent years and probably in this case making a lot of base housing unneeded for military families. It looks nicely kept from photos and I would guess the company leasing it from Air Force for civilian use has a strict contract for maintenance and general upkeep. If the rent is right it should be a great place to live.

The rent is $1215 per month for that you get all the utilities and lawn care, you only have to pay for cable. The area is very safe and has plenty of amenities including a pool etc.

scrubbedexpat097 May 20th 2017 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by sarasota chic (Post 12256732)
Thank you how do you find Texas? Are the people friendly? I'm looking forward to having a decent steak!!

Very friendly. You will be totally loved with your accent ( as long as you aren't mistaken for Australian).

Texas has the best when it comes to steaks and BBQ. Enjoy:nod:

Just remember, it is not the UK and some things take a while to get used to. We have been here 28 years now, we had some glitches to start with but we persevered and now live a fairly easy comfortable life.

Good luck. If you have questions or rants we are here for you:thumbsup:

sarasota chic May 20th 2017 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 12256744)
Very friendly. You will be totally loved with your accent ( as long as you aren't mistaken for Australian).

Texas has the best when it comes to steaks and BBQ. Enjoy:nod:

Just remember, it is not the UK and some things take a while to get used to. We have been here 28 years now, we had some glitches to start with but we persevered and now live a fairly easy comfortable life.

Good luck. If you have questions or rants we are here for you:thumbsup:

Thank you Sugarmooma.😀😀

md95065 May 20th 2017 8:10 pm

Congratulations and good luck!

Time to update your signature line ...

Britexmom May 21st 2017 12:44 am

That's a good deal on the rent with utilities included, some summer months my electric bill can run at $400 due to the constant need for the AC to be on.

zzrmark May 23rd 2017 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 12256744)

Are Texans that fussy? People who mistake me, initially, for an Ozzie are usually just as 'gushing' about luurving my accent as those who get it right first time (so easy to mistake a Wes'country drawl, with a lingering hint of Kent, for an Oz twang :huh: ) !!

OP: Congratulations from Sarasota. :thumbup:

scrubbedexpat097 May 23rd 2017 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by zzrmark (Post 12259090)
Are Texans that fussy? People who mistake me, initially, for an Ozzie are usually just as 'gushing' about luurving my accent as those who get it right first time (so easy to mistake a Wes'country drawl, with a lingering hint of Kent, for an Oz twang :huh: ) !!

OP: Congratulations from Sarasota. :thumbup:

No. It's when they carry on talking about Australia and asking about why did you leave there even after you have said you're from the UK.:lol:

Mind you after 28 years of denying being an Aussie my other half now just goes along with it;)