British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   We're off at last (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/were-off-last-896936/)

Pulaski May 24th 2017 12:15 am

Re: We're off at last

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 12259114)
No. It's when they carry on talking about Australia and asking about why did you leave there even after you have said you're from the UK. .

Personally I would recommend saying that you're from England (or Wales, Scotland, or Northern Ireland if applicable), or Britain.

When visiting the US (not Texas) my mother told someone once that she was from the UK, and after my mother walked away the person she had been talking to remarked to someone nearby that she spoke remarkable English for someone from the Ukraine! :lol:

scrubbedexpat097 May 24th 2017 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12259125)
Personally I would recommend saying that you're from England (or Wales, Scotland, or Northern Ireland if applicable), or Britain.

When visiting the US (not Texas) my mother told someone once that she was from the UK, and after my mother walked away the person she had been talking to remarked to someone nearby that she spoke remarkable English for someone from the Ukraine! :lol:

Actually we do say England, I was being lazy and not typing it out;)

The weird thing is when we go back to England in June for a visit the first thing everyone will say is "ohh you sound so American":rolleyes:

Keoman May 25th 2017 9:18 pm

I'll be settling in Texas next year, visas pending! But have visited over there plenty of times. When I'm asked if I'm Australian, I reply nope better, I'm British 😂

Pulaski May 25th 2017 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Keoman (Post 12260595)
I'll be settling in Texas next year, visas pending! But have visited over there plenty of times. When I'm asked if I'm Australian, I reply nope better, I'm British � ����

I never understand that - I get asked where I'm from/ if I am British an average of once a week, or more. I might get asked if I am Australian once or twice a year on average.

zzrmark May 25th 2017 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12260605)
I never understand that - I get asked where I'm from/ if I am British an average of once a week, or more. I might get asked if I am Australian once or twice a year on average.

Must have something to do with your northern (English) dialect. Yorkshire/Lancashire can hardly be mistaken for anything antipodean.

Pulaski May 25th 2017 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by zzrmark (Post 12260612)
Must have something to do with your northern (English) dialect. Yorkshire/Lancashire can hardly be mistaken for anything antipodean.

That was my working theory for a while, but others from Yorkshire have reported being frequently/ mostly mistaken for Australians. Now I wonder if it's my demeanor? :unsure:

scrubbedexpat097 May 25th 2017 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12260621)
That was my working theory for a while, but others from Yorkshire have reported being frequently/ mostly mistaken for Australians. Now I wonder if it's my demeanor? :unsure:

It's because you are special;):lol:

aless02 May 26th 2017 7:19 am

I think Australian is just the default for people that can't figure out your accent. When I moved to the UK, I got asked if I was Aussie on an almost daily basis...

dj6372 May 26th 2017 9:25 am

Celebration day today, I met a new start at work and he asked if I was from the UK, yes indeed, promote this man!!

ian-mstm May 26th 2017 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12260621)
Now I wonder if it's my demeanor? :unsure:

More likely your misdemeanor! :eek:

Ian

sarasota chic May 31st 2017 1:15 am

Only a couple of people have asked if I'm from Australia, but when I'm asked where I'm from I do say England. I must say the people here in Wichita Falls are very friendly the sir force base we are living on is cool.😀😀

scrubbedexpat097 May 31st 2017 2:06 am

Originally Posted by sarasota chic (Post 12263134)
Only a couple of people have asked if I'm from Australia, but when I'm asked where I'm from I do say England. I must say the people here in Wichita Falls are very friendly the sir force base we are living on is cool.😀😀

:thumbsup:

Yeah, you made it! Glad all is going well so far:fingerscrossed:

Pulaski May 31st 2017 2:26 am

Originally Posted by sarasota chic (Post 12263134)
..... I must say the people here in Wichita Falls are very friendly the sir force base we are living on is cool ....

That was the word I used in post #5 above. :lol:

I am glad to hear that it's all going well so far. :)

sarasota chic May 31st 2017 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 12263146)
:thumbsup:

Yeah, you made it! Glad all is going well so far:fingerscrossed:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

sarasota chic May 31st 2017 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12263152)
That was the word I used in post #5 above. :lol:

I am glad to hear that it's all going well so far. :)

Thank you.:thumbsup: