Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

WEP what counts towards it.

WEP what counts towards it.

Old Jan 27th 2014, 5:47 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default WEP what counts towards it.

NUN said something in another thread about WEP can only be calculated on the UK State pension derived from earnings. This prompted the following question, so I started a new thread rather than hijack another.

My wife receives a UK State pension and only has 27 years in SS. Her UK pension is calculated as follows:-

1) NI contributions deducted from her wages.

2) Some extra years we purchased while she was working in the UK, and

3) When I claimed my pension, hers was increased to 60% of mine.

So does all of it count towards WEP or only that part derived from 1) NI contributions deducted from her wages. If it is only 1 can we obtain from the UK pension office how much that part is?
Old Jan 27th 2014, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WEP what counts towards it.

Originally Posted by lansbury
NUN said something in another thread about WEP can only be calculated on the UK State pension derived from earnings.

My wife receives a UK State pension and only has 27 years in SS. Her UK pension is calculated as follows:-

1) NI contributions deducted from her wages.
2) Some extra years we purchased while she was working in the UK, and
3) When I claimed my pension, hers was increased to 60% of mine.

So does all of it count towards WEP or only that part derived from 1) NI contributions deducted from her wages. If it is only 1 can we obtain from the UK pension office how much that part is?
Hi Lansbury....
Giving your post a bump - since it remains unanswered and I, too, have a similar question. It's the following:
If one
1) already receives SS in the States based upon fewer than 30 years of contributions, and subsequently.....
2) starts receiving a UK State Pension which is based on a spouses NI contributions (rather than their own)......
....will WEP be factored into future SS payments?
Again, keep in mind - the UK State Pension eligibility was based not on their earnings - but on those of the spouse.
Any thoughts anyone?
Old Jan 27th 2014, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Folks, this is waaaaaay beyond my knowledge level.

I will guarantee one thing, if you ask your local SSA office they will 1) not know the correct answer, or 2) give you the wrong answer.

In your position(s), it would be worth writing the SSA in Baltimore (International) for a reasonably correct answer (unless someone here has direct experience of this). The address is:

Social Security Administration
Office of International Programs
P.O. Box 17741
Baltimore, Maryland 21235-7741
U.S.A.

There is a general toll free number, but I don't believe it is dedicated to international issues 1-800-772-1213. They may be able to give you an Email address for International queries.

Bear in mind two things: (and I'm really going far out into left field here)

WEP is applied to your work record only. You are WEPed on work you performed that was not covered by US SSA contributions.

Secondary (spouse) pensions are not WEPed. If WEP is to be applied, it only is on the primary recipients pension and their work record.

Both of the above statements may be, in fact, totally incorrect (no better than a local offices answer). My opinion is a pension that is increased due to entitlements from a spouses UK pension should not be WEPed for that additional amount. But again, this is a guess from way out in left field.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 12:29 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks OAP I didn't expect a definitive answer, but the address you gave is helpful and I will write and ask them. If I get an understandable answer I'll post the information on BE.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theOAP
Bear in mind two things: (and I'm really going far out into left field here)
WEP is applied to your work record only.
Secondary (spouse) pensions are not WEPed. If WEP is to be applied, it only is on the primary recipients pension and their work record.
But again, this is a guess from way out in left field.
Thanks OAP .....and if you're right - I like it "out in left field"

Lansbury.......I just found this site and wonder whether it's worth emailing them with our queries......do you think it looks legit?
http://socialsecurityadviceonline.co...d=94&Itemid=84
Old Jan 28th 2014, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Thanks OAP I didn't expect a definitive answer, but the address you gave is helpful and I will write and ask them. If I get an understandable answer I'll post the information on BE.
Please do, it is a very interesting scenario.

I have a record of the years I worked and paid NI, and all the years where I paid NI contributions, with after-tax money, so if SS will accept a percentage of UK OAP for earning years, and the UK can provide that percentage that would very good to know.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by MMcD
Lansbury.......I just found this site and wonder whether it's worth emailing them with our queries......do you think it looks legit?
http://socialsecurityadviceonline.co...d=94&Itemid=84
Well the 2 people who they profile on their site seem to have worked for the SSA, so I guess there is no harm in asking. If it doesn't cost money, and any advice given should be verified if possible.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

klm09 is an unknown quantity at this point

I worked in the UK from 1969 until 1994 when I moved to the US and became a citizen an worked in the US, In 2007 I became disabled and I now get 1)US Social Security disability, 2)UK government disability and a 3)small private pension from the years when I worked in the UK.

Do any of my UK disability earnings and pension count toward WEP. If so, will it reduce my US Social Security disability income or only my Social Security income when I turn 65 in 4 years?

Thanks so much in advance to anyone who can assist.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 2:14 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

For some reason I totally missed this thread up till now. This discussion is timely for me, I've decided provisionally to apply for my SS sometime in the next six to eight months, when I'll be 64 plus a few months. Then sometime in the next three years, I'll start to receive a small UK defined benefit pension and my British state pension, which is partly the result of voluntary class II NICs.

When you apply for SS do you at that time declare foreign pensions that you'll receive in the future, with an estimate of their monthly payments? Or do you wait till you switch on the foreign pensions before you tell the SS people?

Anyway, hopefully in due course I'll get insights into these issues which I'll share if useful!