Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Welfare Question

Welfare Question

Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:11 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welfare Question

Originally Posted by cpltony
I've noticed this also.
People in Oklahoma can buy beer and lobster on the food stamps....and they do.
My wife and I shop smart. We buy lots of items that can be mixed and matched for different meals. Like mash potatos, salads and frozen vegetables.
One thing they do over here (and I'm not knocking it, but it costs so much more) is buy everything for one meal.

We lived with our inlaws when I first emigrated and to help us move out and get out on our own my wife went on food stamps for about 6 months. Mainly because our employer would not let us shop for groceries anywhere else and his prices were too high for min wage employees. Alva, Oklahoma.....what can I tell you.
We hated doingit, but it got us where we are today which is self sufficient, empowered and out on our own. Isn't that what its supposed to do?

Anyway, our food stamps lasted us for a lot longer than it did the others.
My mother bought me up to be economical, I now am truly thankful for that.

But in a nutshell, yes. Some people it seems look for help more than they'll look on how to help themselves.

You cannot buy alcohol, tobacco, prepared foods, or non-food items with food stamps period.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:17 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
This is a very dodgy reply IMO. Did you manage to buy beer with you food stamps Or is this some urban myth? Is Oklahoma some utopian dreamworld where the government pay for your beer? Where do I sign? I'm there!!! If this is true please show a link.
No, you can't buy beer, cigs, pet foot, candy, toiletries, vitamins, etc. with food stamps. You can only buy regular food with them. If the odd person buys lobster on their birthday, it doesn't mean everyone is doing it. These people are living below the poverty line. There is also the WIC program, for pregnant women and small children. They get free formula, baby food, juice, eggs, cereal, cheese, etc. Food pantries are private organization charities. They help people who are down on their luck.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:32 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
No, you can't buy beer, cigs, pet foot, candy, toiletries, vitamins, etc. with food stamps. You can only buy regular food with them. If the odd person buys lobster on their birthday, it doesn't mean everyone is doing it. These people are living below the poverty line. There is also the WIC program, for pregnant women and small children. They get free formula, baby food, juice, eggs, cereal, cheese, etc. Food pantries are private organization charities. They help people who are down on their luck.
Of course, if you're a corporate welfare recipient, you can buy Lear jets and bubbly with it. But corporations are special people.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:36 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Of course, if you're a corporate welfare recipient, you can buy Lear jets and bubbly with it. But corporations are special people.
Luck of the draw!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:38 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cpltony
I've noticed this also.
People in Oklahoma can buy beer and lobster on the food stamps....and they do.
My wife and I shop smart. We buy lots of items that can be mixed and matched for different meals. Like mash potatos, salads and frozen vegetables.
One thing they do over here (and I'm not knocking it, but it costs so much more) is buy everything for one meal.

We lived with our inlaws when I first emigrated and to help us move out and get out on our own my wife went on food stamps for about 6 months. Mainly because our employer would not let us shop for groceries anywhere else and his prices were too high for min wage employees. Alva, Oklahoma.....what can I tell you.
We hated doingit, but it got us where we are today which is self sufficient, empowered and out on our own. Isn't that what its supposed to do?

Anyway, our food stamps lasted us for a lot longer than it did the others.
My mother bought me up to be economical, I now am truly thankful for that.

But in a nutshell, yes. Some people it seems look for help more than they'll look on how to help themselves.

I think the "company store" system is illegal in the U.S. They cannot tell you where to shop.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:40 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I think the "company store" system is illegal in the U.S. They cannot tell you where to shop.
Yes -- but is Oklahoma in the U.S.?
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:40 pm
Queen of my house

Do you have a freezer? When we make a large meal we freeze what we don't eat. You can actually freeze mash potatos. We also freeze curry and spag bol. In fact, there is no end to the amount of food stuffs one can freeze and eat later.
I do this also so I do not have to go through the prep stage 2X. I double the recipe when I do lasagne, meatballs, etc.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:43 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Yes -- but is Oklahoma in the U.S.?
As far as I'm concerned, no. I've never been there and I have no desire to. I've only read about the Okies....
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:17 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory

Yes, tell me about it. We get 60 dollars a month for a family of three (food card or ghetto visa as it is commonly referred to here). It all depends on the family income of course. Mrs Sod is far too ashamed to use it. Screw that! Not me mate!!! I flourish the card at the register and say - put it on uncle sam love, he's buying dinner tonight!!!

There is such a terrible stigma attached to welfare of any kind in this country. People work and work and then, when the shit comes down, are too ashamed to take welfare. That is a bunch of BS as far as i am concerned.

I read a blog recently, by some nob head working a register at wal-mart, bitching about people buying crisps and pop on the ghetto visa. He said, apparently, to a customer: I am paying for you to eat that!!! The girl left in tears and he felt good about it. I would love some little f ucker to say that to me. I live for the day. The police will be called I guarantee!!! :curse:
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, tell me about it. We get 60 dollars a month for a family of three (food card or ghetto visa as it is commonly referred to here). It all depends on the family income of course. Mrs Sod is far too ashamed to use it. Screw that! Not me mate!!! I flourish the card at the register and say - put it on uncle sam love, he's buying dinner tonight!!!

There is such a terrible stigma attached to welfare of any kind in this country. People work and work and then, when the shit comes down, are too ashamed to take welfare. That is a bunch of BS as far as i am concerned.

I read a blog recently, by some nob head working a register at wal-mart, bitching about people buying crisps and pop on the ghetto visa. He said, apparently, to a customer: I am paying for you to eat that!!! The girl left in tears and he felt good about it. I would love some little f ucker to say that to me. I live for the day. The police will be called I guarantee!!! :curse:
Charming.... NOT!

Edit - meaning the cashier

Last edited by Tracym; Jan 7th 2008 at 3:42 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:27 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Charming.... NOT!
Lost me there Tracy. When did being poor become a disease? Or am I mis-understanding that?
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:27 pm
Septicity

Charming.... NOT!
Silly Sod or the Walmart cashier?
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:28 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just curious, what is the criteria for receiving welfare? I guess it varies state by state, do you get X amount if you earn less than X amount per year? Is there a cut off date? Like I said just curious, some parts of the system I'm completely in the dark about
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Lost me there Tracy. When did being poor become a disease? Or am I mis-understanding that?
Nonono sorry, I meant the cashier for sure! How cruel of him.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:41 pm
Bugger Off!

Nonono sorry, I meant the cashier for sure! How cruel of him.
Sorry tracy, was a bit confused.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.