British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Welfare Question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/welfare-question-504145/)

Ash UK/US Jan 7th 2008 2:47 am

Welfare Question

I want to start out by saying I am in no way making fun of people on welfare, I am a little confused and asking an honest question.

Do people on welfare really have that hard of a time feeding themselves in US?

The other day one of the girls I work with was telling me about her husband (a deer hunter). She was telling me that the place they pay to process the deer so it can be eaten also runs a program where hunters can donate a deer and it will be given to people in need. She said that while her husband was there a guy came in to ask if anyone had donated a deer.

A commercial that runs on the radio station I listen to asks people to donate food/money to the food pantry. They have a guy on there telling how he lost his job and would go to the food pantry to collect food to feed his family.

A few times a year there is also the postal food drive (mail man collects the food left out).

I know they have similar projects for the eldery around Christmas time in the UK but it seems more wide spread here. I guess what I also find confusing is seeing people at the store paying with food stamps buying high end food items that even I wouldn't pay for, for my family.

cpltony Jan 7th 2008 2:57 am

Re: Welfare Question

I've noticed this also.
People in Oklahoma can buy beer and lobster on the food stamps....and they do.
My wife and I shop smart. We buy lots of items that can be mixed and matched for different meals. Like mash potatos, salads and frozen vegetables.
One thing they do over here (and I'm not knocking it, but it costs so much more) is buy everything for one meal.

We lived with our inlaws when I first emigrated and to help us move out and get out on our own my wife went on food stamps for about 6 months. Mainly because our employer would not let us shop for groceries anywhere else and his prices were too high for min wage employees. Alva, Oklahoma.....what can I tell you.
We hated doingit, but it got us where we are today which is self sufficient, empowered and out on our own. Isn't that what its supposed to do?

Anyway, our food stamps lasted us for a lot longer than it did the others.
My mother bought me up to be economical, I now am truly thankful for that.

But in a nutshell, yes. Some people it seems look for help more than they'll look on how to help themselves.

:Huey Jan 7th 2008 3:00 am

Originally Posted by cpltony (Post 5750089)
I've noticed this also.
My wife and I shop smart. We buy lots of items that can be mixed and matched for different meals. Like mash potatos, salads and frozen vegetables.
One thing they do over here (and I'm not knocking it, but it costs so much more) is buy everything for one meal.

We lived with our inlaws when I first emigrated and to help us move out and get out on our own my wife went on food stamps for about 6 months. Mainly because our employer would not let us shop for groceries anywhere else and his prices were too high for min wage employees. Alva, Oklahoma.....what can I tell you.
We hated doingit, but it got us where we are today which is self sufficient, empowered and out on our own. Isn't that what its supposed to do?

But in a nutshell, yes. Some people it seems look for help more than they'll look on how to help themselves.

Surely it's cheaper to mash your own potatoes?

cpltony Jan 7th 2008 3:02 am

Originally Posted by :Huey (Post 5750098)
Surely it's cheaper to mash your own potatoes?

Well we tried buying the smallest bag of potatoes....for just the two of us we couldn't use a whole bag before they went bad. And its cheaper to buy instant than buying the single potatoes.
We do buy the singles......just only once during our regular grocery trip though.

:Huey Jan 7th 2008 3:28 am

Originally Posted by cpltony (Post 5750107)
Well we tried buying the smallest bag of potatoes....for just the two of us we couldn't use a whole bag before they went bad. And its cheaper to buy instant than buying the single potatoes.
We do buy the singles......just only once during our regular grocery trip though.

I guess they are quite pricey here.

lapin_windstar Jan 7th 2008 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US (Post 5750062)
Do people on welfare really have that hard of a time feeding themselves in US?...the place they pay to process the deer so it can be eaten also runs a program where hunters can donate a deer and it will be given to people in need. She said that while her husband was there a guy came in to ask if anyone had donated a deer.

How big an income do you think the average welfare recipient has? What's the ratio of donated deer to poor people?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Househo..._United_States

Rete Jan 7th 2008 12:42 pm

I've noticed this also.

You lost me on this one. Why would it cost most to buy for one meal as opposed to doing a large weekly shopping? You still have to buy everything for the meal regardless of when or how you do the shopping.

I take it you worked for a supermarket. How did the employer know where you shopped and how is he able to get away with mandating where you do your shopping.

Silly Sod Jan 7th 2008 1:18 pm

I've noticed this also.

This is a very dodgy reply IMO. Did you manage to buy beer with you food stamps :eek: Or is this some urban myth? Is Oklahoma some utopian dreamworld where the government pay for your beer? Where do I sign? I'm there!!! If this is true please show a link.

Silly Sod Jan 7th 2008 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by cpltony (Post 5750107)

Do you have a freezer? When we make a large meal we freeze what we don't eat. You can actually freeze mash potatos. We also freeze curry and spag bol. In fact, there is no end to the amount of food stuffs one can freeze and eat later. :thumbsup:

Thydney Jan 7th 2008 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 5752458)
Do you have a freezer? When we make a large meal we freeze what we don't eat. You can actually freeze mash potatos. We also freeze curry and spag bol. In fact, there is no end to the amount of food stuffs one can freeze and eat later. :thumbsup:

I have a freezer and come the end of February it will be full of Coffee:) He's a big Angus steer sat in my pasture.

I think Tony means that the American way is to buy a home cooked meal from 'ready made' rather than ingredients.

NC Penguin Jan 7th 2008 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 5752513)
I have a freezer and come the end of February it will be full of Coffee:) He's a big Angus steer sat in my pasture.

I think Tony means that the American way is to buy a home cooked meal from 'ready made' rather than ingredients.

Hence the popularity of that Sandra Lee and her half baked cooking show...:eek:

Rete Jan 7th 2008 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 5752513)

Ahhh so, you read Chinese ;)

Tracym Jan 7th 2008 2:03 pm

I've noticed this also.

Just curious - how could your employer not allow you to buy groceries wherever you want? That sounds quite illegal to me...

To the others... as far as "buying everything for one meal" - if you buy ingredients that you'll only use for one meal, you are not buying in bulk, and hence perhaps paying more. Also, you might buy some ingredient that you wouldn't use all of, and then waste some of it. Just my guesses.

Tracym Jan 7th 2008 2:05 pm

I want to start out by saying I am in no way making fun of people on welfare, I am a little confused and asking an honest question.

The other day one of the girls I work with was telling me about her husband (a deer hunter). She was telling me that the place they pay to process the deer so it can be eaten also runs a program where hunters can donate a deer and it will be given to people in need. She said that while her husband was there a guy came in to ask if anyone had donated a deer.

A commercial that runs on the radio station I listen to asks people to donate food/money to the food pantry. They have a guy on there telling how he lost his job and would go to the food pantry to collect food to feed his family.

A few times a year there is also the postal food drive (mail man collects the food left out).

I know they have similar projects for the eldery around Christmas time in the UK but it seems more wide spread here. I guess what I also find confusing is seeing people at the store paying with food stamps buying high end food items that even I wouldn't pay for, for my family.

I had a friend who when recently divorced, had to go on welfare for a time (she and her daughter). They had food stamps. She did not seem to have a problem affording food.

However - I don't think everyone is eligible for welfare. A single, able-bodied person, for example, I believe is not. And unemployment could run out.

Also the homeless - I think (not certain) that you have to have an address to have a check sent to. I could be wrong on this, but I think I am right.

Or people who ARE employed, but quite low income - they could use food pantrys etc.

Just some examples I could think of for those who might be in need.

edit: from govt site "Welfare is government aid intended to help those with little to no income, including the working poor. Aimed primarily at families with children, older individuals, and those who are disabled"

tamms_1965 Jan 7th 2008 2:09 pm

Food pantries usually cater to those not on welfare or food stamps. (Many people just get food stamps but do not qualify for welfare because they work low paying jobs). I know in my experience volunteering at my old church, our food items went to people that were working poor. Many of these people have many kids or disabled kid/parent/grandparent living with them and there is only one breadwinner in the family. They make too much to get many benefits but do not make enough to live comfortably...they just get by. At Christmas, food pantries like to give these people something a little special that they may not normally get for themselves....turkey, ham, pie, etc.

Some people do abuse the pantries (esp. in larger cities where you're not connected with community).