Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Welfare benefits in the USA ?

Welfare benefits in the USA ?

Old Sep 4th 2010, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

dooper will become famous soon enough
Default Welfare benefits in the USA ?

This is just a hypothetical question...it isnt about me !

If you were a female with a child in the US and you left your husband/split up/got divorced..would you get any kind of state aid in the form of cash/housing/medical whatever..?

Presumably there are regulations to make your husband pay but what would he be compelled to pay for?
Old Sep 4th 2010, 1:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welfare benefits in the USA ?

I was in that situation 30 odd years ago. The court awards child support payments based on what the father can afford. In my case the judge said during the session, I will not authorize these payments until you go to social services and sign on because it is a known fact that fathers will stop paying after a while and you will be back here in court.

So the arrangement was that his payments went to thru the court and the court sent it to social services and I got a "welfare" check for that amount each month. The judge was correct. Deadbeat stopped paying 8 months into the order. SS then went after him for reimbursement and they did get it.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dooper
If you were a female with a child in the US and you left your husband/split up/got divorced..would you get any kind of state aid in the form of cash/housing/medical whatever..?
Is the female in question an illegal alien? A USC? A PR? Someone waiting for adjustment to PR?

This is just a hypothetical question...
Of course!

Ian
Old Sep 4th 2010, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

dooper will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Is the female in question an illegal alien? A USC? A PR? Someone waiting for adjustment to PR?

Of course!

Ian
The person in question now has USC.

OK its a real person I'm talking about but it isnt me or anyone I'm associated with...I'm just curious as to how a certain situation might work out.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I'm aware, there's no such thing as cash support.

If the hypothetical woman/child make too much money, they will not qualify for any aid. If they are considered poor, then they would likely qualify for Medicaid, possibly food stamps, and a housing subsidy (look up Section 8). Also, if the child is young enough (and mom doesn't make much $$), mom may qualify for the WIC program (helps pay for milk/formula/cereal/juice/etc that the child may need).
Old Sep 4th 2010, 4:59 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Theres one off TANF payment too if she qualifies
Old Sep 4th 2010, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dooper
Presumably there are regulations to make your husband pay but what would he be compelled to pay for?
Typically, the amount of child support depends on the percentage of custody each parent has, and their relative incomes. So without knowing more specifics, it's a difficult question to answer.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 3:52 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

It would all depend on her income level and what state she is living in. Many of the states have a standard form with which you apply for all the available programs in one form. But it is entirely income based, and in the first year they might have some problems as they have 'split' income up until the point of the divorce from the time with the husband and that might count against her.

Many folks planning a divorce first plan their finances, if they have the time and patience. Some states have separation requirements I think (i.e. you have to be legally separated first before a divorce) and during that time many folks are advised to sort out things financially so they can handle when they are on their own.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 9:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
As far as I'm aware, there's no such thing as cash support.

If the hypothetical woman/child make too much money, they will not qualify for any aid. If they are considered poor, then they would likely qualify for Medicaid, possibly food stamps, and a housing subsidy (look up Section 8). Also, if the child is young enough (and mom doesn't make much $$), mom may qualify for the WIC program (helps pay for milk/formula/cereal/juice/etc that the child may need).
All depends on the state, but in MA, to get that Section 8, there's something like a 2 year waiting list. To get help for childcare, there's a 5-7 year wait.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I volunteer with a charitable group which provides some absolute basics to school-age children in need.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:15 am
Just Joined

Nicole5446 is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends on the state...in CA, if her income AND property levels (car, stocks, savings - NOT house) are low enough, she will qualify for emergency cash aid (called Calworks). The child support division will also be required at the time of application to go after the husband for child support if she files for aid (as they want the money back that they are paying!)
Old Sep 10th 2010, 2:54 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, heavily dependent upon the state. No such word as welfare any longer - there's food stamps, AFDC, WIC, TANF, and a lot of alphabet soup. Some "assistance" is available here in Austin that is not elsewhere in Texas, for example. There are usually advocacy groups that can handle this kind of enquiry - if nowhere else, the women's shelter is a place to start.