Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Weather the storm, stay positive

Weather the storm, stay positive

Old May 9th 2017, 8:05 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weather the storm, stay positive

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
No way -- because we weren't staring at those little devices in our pockets and on our desks non-stop, we had a lot more time to party!!!
And it was the 70's, baby
Old May 9th 2017, 8:07 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
And it was the 70's, baby
But we were still basking in the glow of the 60s!
Old May 9th 2017, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Bloody awful.

I'd put 'finding someone to carpool with to make use of free express lanes' top of the list of things to do on arrival.
good idea, i will let him know. for the past 8 years, he has the luxury that only need to drive for 15 minutes to work. but for me, before i changed my job to a local company 2 years ago , I have to commuter to London Waterloo from Sunbury by south west train for 8 years. it made me so miserable .Somehow the train always broken down on the coldest day or hottest day!
Old May 9th 2017, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S.Susan
We are planning to live in Dublin or Pleasanton. my husband will have to travel to San Jose to work . people here already warned me that the motor way 680 is awful , sounds like even worse than M25 in London .
I'm just up the road from you in Walnut Creek - a lovely town! Pleasanton/Dublin is also very nice. Be sure to check out Danville! 680 between Pleasanton and San Jose is terrible at the times I travel it. There is one person on this forum who moved there, and said her husband was able to get down to San Jose in good time, at some Un-Godly hour in the morning. I found that, if I don't leave the south by 2pm, I'm looking at a virtual parking lot through Milpitas/Fremont. And it's not tolerable again until 8pm. Let's hope your experience is different.
Old May 9th 2017, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I'm just up the road from you in Walnut Creek - a lovely town! Pleasanton/Dublin is also very nice. Be sure to check out Danville! 680 between Pleasanton and San Jose is terrible at the times I travel it. There is one person on this forum who moved there, and said her husband was able to get down to San Jose in good time, at some Un-Godly hour in the morning. I found that, if I don't leave the south by 2pm, I'm looking at a virtual parking lot through Milpitas/Fremont. And it's not tolerable again until 8pm. Let's hope your experience is different.
oh my godness ! I doubt my experience will be different.
Old May 10th 2017, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S.Susan
oh my godness ! I doubt my experience will be different.
They have created several toll lanes on the southbound section of 680; basically, what used to be 'carpool' lanes are now 'carpool or pay'; I don't see anything similar happening on the northbound side, but maybe that's to come. If it comes, then you may be able to get north faster.