Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Weather the storm, stay positive

Weather the storm, stay positive

Old May 8th 2017, 6:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weather the storm, stay positive

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Every part of New Jersey I have been to is awful. What more can I say?
You have obviously seen very little of NJ.
Old May 9th 2017, 2:01 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You have obviously seen very little of NJ.
That is true. I'm simply commenting on what I see each time I come here for business.
Old May 9th 2017, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

That is true. I'm simply commenting on what I see each time I come here for business.
Then try to get out more before commenting. Hanging out in the swamps of Secaucus or the industrial section of NJ (Newark/Kearny) is not seeing that state. Of course, the industrial section does provide energy to NYC and NJ as well as providing massive employment...no industrial section is attractive no matter what country you live in.

Princeton and Lambertville where I visit frequently, are absolutely beautiful. And that's the tip of the iceberg.
Old May 9th 2017, 1:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you should have said that your experience of NJ was extremely limited.
Old May 9th 2017, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
... Don't limit yourself to looking for other ex-pats -- Americans are a friendly bunch ...
When I first came here, there was no internet to speak of, no forums, etc. I happened to be working with a bunch of other ex-pats, but the best thing I ever did was break away from them and start socializing with 'the locals'. I found my particular ex-pat associates to be a bunch of moaning, groaning whiners! They were always talking about what was wrong here ... beer's too cold, weather's too hot, etc ... so I cut myself off from them and life got better!

YMMV ...
Old May 9th 2017, 7:33 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
When I first came here, there was no internet to speak of, no forums, etc. I happened to be working with a bunch of other ex-pats, but the best thing I ever did was break away from them and start socializing with 'the locals'. I found my particular ex-pat associates to be a bunch of moaning, groaning whiners! They were always talking about what was wrong here ... beer's too cold, weather's too hot, etc ... so I cut myself off from them and life got better!

YMMV ...
When I came here there was no Internet, period! I did "total immersion" in my new milieu and to this day I believe it was the best thing that could have happened in terms of my settling in and "getting on with it." It was only many years later that I was invited to a dinner to meet some ex-pats from the UK and was immediately reminded why my life here has been so satisfactory!
Old May 9th 2017, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute

YMMV ...
thanks for you suggestion. I have noticed you are in bay area, that's where we are moving to . I am feeling much positive this week and just need to get the last hurdle -packing ! then we will be there next month , enjoy the sunshine !!
Old May 9th 2017, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
When I came here there was no Internet, period! I did "total immersion" in my new milieu and to this day I believe it was the best thing that could have happened in terms of my settling in and "getting on with it." It was only many years later that I was invited to a dinner to meet some ex-pats from the UK and was immediately reminded why my life here has been so satisfactory!
I came in 1983, when did you arrive?

I say 'no internet to speak of ...' because there was the 'ARPANET', which pre-dates the Internet.

We had no internet, no email, no skype, and back then long distance calls were expensive and you made them sparingly. You wrote letters, on paper placed in envelopes, to family back home (!!!!!) and waited 2 weeks for a reply.
Old May 9th 2017, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by S.Susan
thanks for you suggestion. I have noticed you are in bay area, that's where we are moving to . I am feeling much positive this week and just need to get the last hurdle -packing ! then we will be there next month , enjoy the sunshine !!
The Bay Area is a great place to come to - lots of cosmopolitan / diverse areas, great food options, lots of well-educated folks (due to both the high-tech environment and the presence of Stanford, UC Berkeley, etc). If you can cope with the congestion and high cost of living, you'll be fine! Where in the Bay Area are you headed?
Old May 9th 2017, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute

The Bay Area is a great place to come to - lots of cosmopolitan / diverse areas, great food options, lots of well-educated folks (due to both the high-tech environment and the presence of Stanford, UC Berkeley, etc). If you can cope with the congestion and high cost of living, you'll be fine! Where in the Bay Area are you headed?
We are planning to live in Dublin or Pleasanton. my husband will have to travel to San Jose to work . people here already warned me that the motor way 680 is awful , sounds like even worse than M25 in London .
Old May 9th 2017, 7:56 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

I say 'no internet to speak of ...' because there was the 'ARPANET', which pre-dates the Internet.

We had no internet, no email, no skype, and back then long distance calls were expensive and you made them sparingly. You wrote letters, on paper placed in envelopes, to family back home (!!!!!) and waited 2 weeks for a reply.
And worked 26 hours a day down at t'mill, no doubt
Old May 9th 2017, 7:56 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

1972. Yes, I corresponded with my family by letter, with a long distance call (that had to be booked in advance) at Christmas and on birthdays!
Old May 9th 2017, 7:58 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by Wintersong
And worked 26 hours a day down at t'mill, no doubt

No way -- because we weren't staring at those little devices in our pockets and on our desks non-stop, we had a lot more time to party!!!
Old May 9th 2017, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

omg , cant imagine life was like this before...at least you can talk to you family on daily basis now if you like .
Old May 9th 2017, 8:04 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S.Susan
We are planning to live in Dublin or Pleasanton. my husband will have to travel to San Jose to work . people here already warned me that the motor way 680 is awful , sounds like even worse than M25 in London .
Bloody awful.

I'd put 'finding someone to carpool with to make use of free express lanes' top of the list of things to do on arrival.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.