Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"We only hire US citizens"

"We only hire US citizens"

Old Apr 22nd 2004, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
Gemaine it may be, but as illegal here in the US as it is in the UK. In this topsy-turvy world it is illegal for a haulage company interviewing applicants for a long distance trucking job to ask a single parent what arrangements they have for taking care of their children.

Yeppers .. its illegal to ask if you have children and if you are married ...let alone arrangements for the kids. I doubt very much that a single parent who didn't have arrangements for children would be applying for a long distance trucking anyway, but this personal stuff is none of the interviewer's business.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 8:03 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pilgrim22
Boy, you'd have done well on the old quiz show "Mastermind", with a Specialized Subject of "Stating the Bleeding Obvious"!
So if they (low fare airline) only employ Permanent residents and citizens, why did you mention you only had an EAD at the time then.................

Last edited by manc1976; Apr 22nd 2004 at 8:10 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by manc1976
So if they (low fare airline) only employ Permanent residents and citizens, why did you mention you only had an EAD at the time then.................
Employers are nots permitted to discriminate against anyone with an EAD, regardless of EAD expiration date, and regardless of the person's status as a non-immigrant, permanent resident or citizen.

The only exceptions relate to jobs requiring security clearances. It may be the case that airline jobs require security clearance, I don't know.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 10:36 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC
Employers are nots permitted to discriminate against anyone with an EAD, regardless of EAD expiration date, and regardless of the person's status as a non-immigrant, permanent resident or citizen.

The only exceptions relate to jobs requiring security clearances. It may be the case that airline jobs require security clearance, I don't know.
Yes, I believe that they do, for obvious reasons
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by lairdside
Yes, I believe that they do, for obvious reasons
I would imagine that staff interacting - for want of a better word - with aircraft and passenger baggage and so on would undergo security clearance. But airlines also employ accountants. He didn't state what the job he applied for was, so I don't know.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 12:28 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

I would imagine that staff interacting - for want of a better word - with aircraft and passenger baggage and so on would undergo security clearance. But airlines also employ accountants. He didn't state what the job he applied for was, so I don't know.
Good point. Although, even an office worker could potentially have access to "sensitive" information in the course of their duties.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 2:13 am
Carrot Cruncher

pilgrim22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by manc1976
Because they did not make it clear at the time that they only employed such people. Their website, and company policy, stated that they employ people who are legally entitled to work in the country - correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't an EAD legally entitle the holder to ANY employment in the USA?

Pardon me for being brutally honest about my immigration situation, esp. 6 months after 9/11 and applying for a job at an airline.

p22

PS I applied for a job in their IT dept, for those who are curious - security clearance was not required, although they wanted 10 years of job and residence history on the application form. Trying to remember where i was in college 10 years ago was a challenge....

Last edited by pilgrim22; Apr 23rd 2004 at 2:18 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 6:35 am
Moderated

matt_in_philly is an unknown quantity at this point

But they don't hold anything against you, if you, just as a permanent resident, want to join the Army and go kill people in their own country whose names you can't even pronounce. The name of the country is another story.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Steff
NC-Penguin,
I know that the last job he applied for was a "data transciber" for some company called USIS. I just read on their web site that they are a private company but sometimes investigate for the government, so maybe that was why they told him that they only hire US citizens

He has applied for a couple other office assistant jobs and they also asked if he was a citizen (but did not say they only hire US citizens). I forget what companies they were for but they weren't related to the government or anything top secret! Just crappy normal office jobs! I will ask him exactly what they were when he gets home.
Companies usually only advertise for US Citizens if security clearance is required for the position.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Not all of them. I have a 2 friends in Philly who are green card holders who work for US Air as ticketers and they did not have to have security clearance.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Also, if companies are government contractors, and work in defense and related industries, it's probably a requirement that they be American citizens, purely for security reasons.

It's not meant to be discriminatory because as Duncan points out, the UK exercises similar rules.

To OP- Please describe the kind of job and employer that your spouse was applying for and to.
I work for a government contractor on a Naval Base and had no problems getting the job, mind you my employer is my brother-in-law. But I never went through any security checks, just an identity pass which I show when i come in every morning
Old Apr 25th 2004, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
I remember being asked by Comair (a Delta carrier) if I had a "Green Card" already when I was looking for employment back in 2000. At that time I had an EAD but according to their rules, they could only employ Green Card holders.

I'm guessing the reson behind that was they are about to invest a load of money in training you and they don't want to lose you should there be a problem with your immigration status.

These days, just about all of the employment ads for pilots (yes I'm a pilot) say "must be authorized to work in USA" or something to that effect. Unfortunately, some are also saying must be a US Citizen only. They might have some government contracts I suppose..or it's a convienent way of not employing non-americans post 9-11. Especially in a "job recovery market".

Luckily, I'm in a company which has hired several immigrants over the years and is well established.

Good luck for those job-hunting.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

reallykool is an unknown quantity at this point

actually i think these ads are placed by companies who are sponsoring some's GC and advertising as a part the LC process.
just my 2 pence!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pilgrim22
I see a lot of job postings say that they only consider USC's and Green Card holders.... I think this is mainly so they don't have to sponsor visas (H1-Bs and the like).
Old Apr 27th 2004, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE]Originally posted by reallykool
actually i think these ads are placed by companies who are sponsoring some's GC and advertising as a part the LC process.
just my 2 pence!

Originally posted by pilgrim22
I see a lot of job postings say that they only consider USC's and Green Card holders.... I think this is mainly so they don't have to sponsor visas (H1-Bs and the like).
e

I agree that this may well be the case. It is still illegal.