Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK mortgages for US properties

UK mortgages for US properties

Old Apr 25th 2004, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Britfrombristol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK mortgages for US properties

I was just wondering whether any of you have had any experience in funding the purchase of your US home with a UK based lender.

Given the rise in house prices in the UK and the fact that my American wife and I are thinking of moving to the US next year (I have a Green Card by way of marriage to a USC), my wife and I have been thinking about buying now whilst we are still living in England as my Sterling related income would purchase us a very nice house in northern Florida. I have an appointment with my bank this week, but I was just wondering whether anyone here has used their UK income to fund the purchase prior to moving over.

Thank you in advance.

Britfrombristol
Old Apr 26th 2004, 2:03 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest how will you pay the british bank when your in the USA?

If you buy a house with sterling now you will get a fantastic amount of dollars for your pound but when you start paying off your UK debt from dollars you will paying $1.80 for every pound plus the cost of transferring the money. It doesn't seem too clever too me that in a year you will earn North Florida wages and have to pay a UK bank in pounds.

The rate of interest in the US at the moment is very small, you can get a 30 year fixed rate mortgage for 5%, why would you pay UK mortgage rates (which I suspect are higher)

If you don't pay your mortgage how will the UK bank get its money back, it can't reposess a property abroad, I doubt if a UK bank will give you money, especially if you already have a green card and are planning to leave the country (and thus have no colleteral in the UK, like your UK house).

I really don't think you have thought this through very well, go away, cancel your meeting with the bank, do some research, then decide what you can and can't do before doing it. I suspect you will have to get your mortgage with an american mortgage company.

Patrick

Last edited by Patrick; Apr 26th 2004 at 2:47 am.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

There are US financial firms that will give you a mortgage based on an overseas rate. A friend of mine has as US issued mortgage based on UK interest rates. The name of the company evades me now, although I'm sure it was one of the big firms. Do an internet search.

There are also British based brokers of US mortgages that deal only with Florida properties - mainly properties bought for the vacation rental market. One I am familiar with is Pilgrim Direct Finance. (Google it) They are licensed Florida mortgage brokers but based in the UK - Rutland actually - and serve Brits who want to buy property property in Florida.

I disagree with a lot of what Patrick says - having bought and sold property in Florida before whilst being based in the UK - but what I do agree on is that it would probably be best to deal with a US mortgage firm.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 2:53 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC
I disagree with a lot of what Patrick says - having bought and sold property in Florida before whilst being based in the UK
Just out of interest, did you buy Florida property in the UK, then emmigrate to Florida and then have to pay back the mortgage from a US wage? Thats the thing I think is totally dumb, not that they want to buy a house in Florida, I know there are companies that finance holiday/second/rental homes in Florida but these companies usually use your UK house as the collateral (if you don't pay they repossess your UK house and get the money from back from that) these people are not buying it as a holiday/second/rental home to move there in a year. Slightly different scenerio, again I don't think you have thought this through very well. And don't even get me started on lying to the bank. The only way around it, that I see is, is if you are 100% paying off your loan before you move to Florida with proceeds from your UK house sale.

Patrick
Old Apr 26th 2004, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK mortgages for US properties

Originally posted by Britfrombristol
Given the rise in house prices in the UK and the fact that my American wife and I are thinking of moving to the US next year (I have a Green Card by way of marriage to a USC), my wife and I have been thinking about buying now whilst we are still living in England as my Sterling related income would purchase us a very nice house in northern Florida.
Britfrombristol
Hi,
Just wondering where in North Florida you were looking as I live in North West Florida, since last Oct and it is lovely....
If near by and you need a realator let me know.....
Suzie
Old Apr 26th 2004, 4:08 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

There are US financial firms that will give you a mortgage based on an overseas rate. A friend of mine has as US issued mortgage based on UK interest rates. The name of the company evades me now, although I'm sure it was one of the big firms. Do an internet search.

There are also British based brokers of US mortgages that deal only with Florida properties - mainly properties bought for the vacation rental market. One I am familiar with is Pilgrim Direct Finance. (Google it) They are licensed Florida mortgage brokers but based in the UK - Rutland actually - and serve Brits who want to buy property property in Florida.

I disagree with a lot of what Patrick says - having bought and sold property in Florida before whilst being based in the UK - but what I do agree on is that it would probably be best to deal with a US mortgage firm.
The important distinction between the OP's situation and your comments is that the OP plans to reside in the US year round since he has a Green Card.

There's a huge difference, for lenders anyway, between mortgage owners of US holiday property who live in the US part of the year against Brits with US permanent resident status who live in the US on a permanent basis.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by NC Penguin
The important distinction between the OP's situation and your comments is that the OP plans to reside in the US year round since he has a Green Card.

There's a huge difference, for lenders anyway, between mortgage owners of US holiday property who live in the US part of the year against Brits with US permanent resident status who live in the US on a permanent basis.
Yes, you are absolutely right.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

Heather142 will become famous soon enoughHeather142 will become famous soon enough

I was just wondering whether any of you have had any experience in funding the purchase of your US home with a UK based lender.

Given the rise in house prices in the UK and the fact that my American wife and I are thinking of moving to the US next year (I have a Green Card by way of marriage to a USC), my wife and I have been thinking about buying now whilst we are still living in England as my Sterling related income would purchase us a very nice house in northern Florida. I have an appointment with my bank this week, but I was just wondering whether anyone here has used their UK income to fund the purchase prior to moving over.

Thank you in advance.

Britfrombristol

We used our UK mortgage to get an advance loan, to purchase our house in Tucson, some years back now. It was easy and the bank did not ask any questions at all regarding the US property.

We are moving out to Tucson this summer (yes, I know how hot it gets down there) and are putting the UK property on the market this month. We should still make a tidy amount on the UK property.

Good luck with the bank interview.

Heather
Old Apr 26th 2004, 11:43 pm
Pagan Sex God

Yes, you are absolutely right.
So why did you disagree with me when that was the gist of what I was saying, idiot!

Patrick
Old Apr 27th 2004, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Patrick
So why did you disagree with me when that was the gist of what I was saying, idiot!

Patrick
When one has the grace to acknowledge another as being right, one doesn't expect the other to turn around and call him an idiot.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

So why did you disagree with me...
Because so much of what you said was wrong. For example, your perception that transferring money from country A to country B is difficult. It is not. Similarly your perception that the OP would only receive US income was presumptuous; but that is poverty talking, so it can be forgiven.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 10:38 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Blah, blah, blah. My self-important opinion is blah, blah, blah. I really don't think you have thought this through very well, go away, cancel your meeting with the bank, do some research, then decide what you can and can't do before doing it.
You obviously do not have any experience in this matter, only an opinion.

When someone does come along with something more than an opinion (ie experience) you resort to name calling. How old are you? Twelve?