Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

We are nearly there...at the beggining! I-130

We are nearly there...at the beggining! I-130

Old May 16th 2012, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

eddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really nice
Default Re: We are nearly there...at the beggining! I-130

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I understand your situation, and USCIS will as well. I also filed my I-130 promptly after marriage, it's a common situation.

Regards, JEff
You said it right there - I think after a while, reading too much can give you a false impression perhaps of the USCIS. I am looking at approaching this as simply as possible (I work better that way!)
Old May 20th 2012, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

eddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really nice

We might have hit a snag....My Fiancee's company has just been bought out and as such she is due to be made redundant. This will not change the fact we are getting married, but would this affect the I-130 process at all?
Old May 20th 2012, 8:25 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

No - although how will she now support you?
Old May 20th 2012, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Well, we never looked at her supporting me. Once married I will return to the UK as I have a full time job here - and will continue to save for when the green card finally comes through.

I am going this route so I can apply for work as soon as my GC is available. I have had companies express interest, just not willing to go the extra "sponsorship" mile

(She is now looking for other work)
Old May 20th 2012, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by eddfsf
We might have hit a snag....My Fiancee's company has just been bought out and as such she is due to be made redundant. This will not change the fact we are getting married, but would this affect the I-130 process at all?
It won't affect the I-130, but it might affect the Immigrant Visa application. You will need to demonstrate that you have means of support when you enter the US. If your wife has no income you'll either need a lot of assets/savings (3x the income requirements), an income that will continue from the same source after you move or a Joint Sponsor.

James
Old May 20th 2012, 11:29 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we never looked at her supporting me. Once married I will return to the UK as I have a full time job here - and will continue to save for when the green card finally comes through.

I am going this route so I can apply for work as soon as my GC is available. I have had companies express interest, just not willing to go the extra "sponsorship" mile

(She is now looking for other work)
She will be supporting YOUR APPLICATION though
Old May 20th 2012, 11:49 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Once married I will return to the UK as I have a full time job here - and will continue to save for when the green card finally comes through.
It doesn't work like that. You won't get a green card until you arrive in the US with your immigrant visa. However, in order for you to get an immigrant visa, she must first submit an I-864 on your behalf... and she must be able to prove sufficient income or assets on that form. If she has insufficient income/assets, she'll need someone to act as a joint sponsor.

Your income can be counted only if it will continue from that source once you're in the US. If it won't, you will need assets at 3x the income level.

... and all of this must be done before you ever get an immigrant visa.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; May 20th 2012 at 11:52 am.
Old May 20th 2012, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JSL8610
It won't affect the I-130, but it might affect the Immigrant Visa application. You will need to demonstrate that you have means of support when you enter the US. If your wife has no income you'll either need a lot of assets/savings (3x the income requirements), an income that will continue from the same source after you move or a Joint Sponsor.

James
Ah I see, - well in this economy it is a worry but she has no plans to be out of work for a length of time.

I have savings - but what is "3x the income requirements"? Again, our focus is both to be working
Old May 20th 2012, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
She will be supporting YOUR APPLICATION though
Yes, but that means?
Old May 20th 2012, 12:15 pm
Often not so civil...

Yes, but that means?
See above.
I have savings - but what is "3x the income requirements"
My understanding is the income requirement is $18000 PA

So 3x that is around $54000.
Old May 20th 2012, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It doesn't work like that. You won't get a green card until you arrive in the US with your immigrant visa. However, in order for you to get an immigrant visa, she must first submit an I-864 on your behalf... and she must be able to prove sufficient income or assets on that form. If she has insufficient income/assets, she'll need someone to act as a joint sponsor.

Your income can be counted only if it will continue from that source once you're in the US. If it won't, you will need assets at 3x the income level.

... and all of this must be done before you ever get an immigrant visa.

Ian
Thanks again Ian, you are a schooled man! Ok, well I understand that and naturally she does not want to be out of work for a long period of time. She is in an industry which is buoyant.

So much to do!
Old May 20th 2012, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
See above.

My understanding is the income requirement is $18000 PA

So 3x that is around $54000.
Thanks, well there is a chance that my current company would be happy with me working for them in the States from home. We work with many US distributors and I could look at that avenue - The minimum is easily covered which is a god send!
Old May 20th 2012, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Ah I see, - well in this economy it is a worry but she has no plans to be out of work for a length of time.

I have savings - but what is "3x the income requirements"? Again, our focus is both to be working
Look up Form I-864P on the USCIS website (or Google). Find your household size (just you and your wife?) and look in the 125% column. For two of you, the income requirements are $18,912. You would therefore need at least $56,736 in savings/assets.

If your income will indeed continue from the same source after you move, you may be able to use that instead.

James
Old May 20th 2012, 1:50 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Plans are meaningless, for immigration purposes one needs a bird in hand, so to speak. Birds in the bush, no matter how numerous, are useless.

Although the unemployment rate in the USA is slowly improving, it's still uncomfortably high and the long-term unemployment rate is worsening, so you and your wife need to be very realistic in figuring out how you are going to meet the public charge requirements.

When my wife wanted to immigrate I was out of work. I waited to file the petition until I had found a job and was working again.

Regards, JEff

Old May 20th 2012, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Plans are meaningless, for immigration purposes one needs a bird in hand, so to speak. Birds in the bush, no matter how numerous, are useless.

Regards, JEff
So you are saying we should take up Duck hunting?

More seriously though, we do not take this lightly at all! My wife has 2 degrees and has found it difficult to find work, so more than aware of the unemployment situation (well pertaining to Southern California and Texas) which is why she re-trained to work in the aviation industry. This has meant she is a valuable asset to any companies working in that sector.

I myself am aiming for a translation certification to make myself more appealing to US companies once I finally suceed this immigration process

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.