Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

We are nearly there...at the beggining! I-130

We are nearly there...at the beggining! I-130

Old May 15th 2012, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

eddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really nice
Default We are nearly there...at the beggining! I-130

Hello to you all!

So my Journey is set to begin towards the end of July. We have the rings, the wedding is booked in Houston - all I have to do is fly over there, get the marriage license....and then the real journey begins!

I am here to gain a bit of help, and also share my experience post marriage - so I can hopefully be of help to someone else further down the line.

Now, I wanted to check I am thinking things through properly (no not the marriage, of that I am certain!!)

1. I-130 - Once we are married, and I have my marriage certificate "by Apostille" my wife then fills out the form I-130 and we pay the $420. I presume we file to the lockbox facility in Chicago as my wife is from Texas?

2. Does the G-325a (one for each party)
Recent PP photo (one for each party)
Proof of US Citizenship (photocopy of PPPP, NC, BC) have to be filed at the same time?

3. At what point do I need to look at criminal reports, is this something I can get rolling now? (naturally it is 100% clean)

4. At what point do I need the doctors examination - can I pre-empt this by going now or do I have to do it in a certain time frame?

5. At what point do the forms DS-230 (Part I), DS-230 (Part II), I-864 come into play?

Thanks! I am sure there will be more to come....counting the days to July 16th
Old May 15th 2012, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice
Default Re: We are nearly there...at the beggining! I-130

HI Ed and welcome to the fun journey of immigration

I imagine the first thing to ask is where do you live? Are you in the UK or the US?
Old May 15th 2012, 6:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddfsf
1. I-130 - Once we are married, and I have my marriage certificate "by Apostille" my wife then fills out the form I-130 and we pay the $420. I presume we file to the lockbox facility in Chicago as my wife is from Texas?
You don't need anything "by Apostille", to my knowledge. You will receive a certified copy of the marriage certificate, and your USC wife includes a photocopy of that with the I-130 package. The package gets sent to the address listed on www.uscis.gov, Forms, I-130 cover page.

2. Does the G-325a (one for each party)
Recent PP photo (one for each party)
Proof of US Citizenship (photocopy of PPPP, NC, BC) have to be filed at the same time?
Read the I-130 instructoins found at www.uscis.gov, Forms, I-130. The answer to this question is in there.

3. At what point do I need to look at criminal reports, is this something I can get rolling now? (naturally it is 100% clean)
You will need a police report by the time you're ready to book your medical overseas. The police report is good for 1 year. You can start getting the police report after the I-130 gets filed, maybe 3 or 4 months into the process.

4. At what point do I need the doctors examination - can I pre-empt this by going now or do I have to do it in a certain time frame?
You have to do the medical during a certain time frame. You will need your LND case number in order to book the medical, which you won't have until after the I-130 gets approved (NVC will assign the LND case number).

5. At what point do the forms DS-230 (Part I), DS-230 (Part II), I-864 come into play?
Just prior to your visa interview overseas.

Rene
Old May 15th 2012, 6:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsWaring
I imagine the first thing to ask is where do you live? Are you in the UK or the US?
I can't say for sure, but since he's going to "fly over there" to get married, I would assume he's in the UK right now.

Rene
Old May 15th 2012, 7:03 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

When the I-130 has been approved, and the National Visa Center has received the approved I-130 from USCIS.

See the NVC Immigrant Visa Processing web pages at travel.state.gov

Regards, JEff

Old May 15th 2012, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

eddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrsWaring
HI Ed and welcome to the fun journey of immigration

Hi Mrs Waring! indeed I am a Brit looking to take his place in good ol' Texas
Old May 15th 2012, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You don't need anything "by Apostille", to my knowledge. You will receive a certified copy of the marriage certificate, and your USC wife includes a photocopy of that with the I-130 package. The package gets sent to the address listed on www.uscis.gov, Forms, I-130 cover page.

Read the I-130 instructoins found at www.uscis.gov, Forms, I-130. The answer to this question is in there.

You will need a police report by the time you're ready to book your medical overseas. The police report is good for 1 year. You can start getting the police report after the I-130 gets filed, maybe 3 or 4 months into the process.

You have to do the medical during a certain time frame. You will need your LND case number in order to book the medical, which you won't have until after the I-130 gets approved (NVC will assign the LND case number).

Just prior to your visa interview overseas.

Rene
Hi Rene, Thanks for all that! more reading to be done. It was when speaking to the court offices in Houston that they made mention of "Apostille" - perhaps just an added sales point which they do automatically?
Old May 15th 2012, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

I can't say for sure, but since he's going to "fly over there" to get married, I would assume he's in the UK right now.

Rene
You got it!!
Old May 15th 2012, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
When the I-130 has been approved, and the National Visa Center has received the approved I-130 from USCIS.

See the NVC Immigrant Visa Processing web pages at travel.state.gov

Regards, JEff
Appreciated Jeff, well now I know which direction to point myself in - I will start working on the police report - as it lasts for a year it makes sense getting it now as we are to be married soon.

Wow, I know it's going to be a tough journey - but to think I could be in Texas next year.....can you tell I'm excited?
Old May 15th 2012, 7:56 pm

Appreciated Jeff, well now I know which direction to point myself in - I will start working on the police report - as it lasts for a year it makes sense getting it now as we are to be married soon.
Personally, I'd wait on the police report until you're a few months into the I-130 waiting period. You aren't getting married for a couple of more months, and the Immigrant Visa process itself can take up to 10 months, so you don't want to risk having your police report expire before you're actually done with the process.

Rene
Old May 15th 2012, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Personally, I'd wait on the police report until you're a few months into the I-130 waiting period. You aren't getting married for a couple of more months, and the Immigrant Visa process itself can take up to 10 months, so you don't want to risk having your police report expire before you're actually done with the process.

Rene
I see the sense in that, thanks again Rene
Old May 15th 2012, 8:04 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who is in exactly the same boat (filing at the end of the month) I can understnad all the questions - however check out the wiki here, it's an excellent source of informaition.
Old May 15th 2012, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
As someone who is in exactly the same boat (filing at the end of the month) I can understnad all the questions - however check out the wiki here, it's an excellent source of informaition.
Appreciate the heads up, in fact this is where my head has been buried for the past couple of hours...Good luck to you!
Old May 16th 2012, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Morning all, I have just read the section relating to documentation required for the G-325a and in particular the affidavits.

Now I am no lawyer, and words like that are a tad scary.

Am I right in thinking statements from family/friends would be ok? or do I have to obtain something which has an official stamp?

Thanks!
Old May 16th 2012, 9:58 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you use the 'magic language' at the end of the document, it does not have to be witnessed:

"I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the foregoing is true and correct. Executed on [date]"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.