Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Washington DC

Washington DC

Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:21 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Washington DC

Originally Posted by mdyoung
Not sure, but if you find one let me know!!!!
Call the embassy, I would think the people working there would know if anyone does.[/QUOTE]

Calling the embassy now costs and arm and a leg LOL. But mmmmmm fish and chips *drools* i could be tempted to call the line for fish and chips LOL
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:30 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
Call the embassy, I would think the people working there would know if anyone does.
Calling the embassy now costs and arm and a leg LOL. But mmmmmm fish and chips *drools* i could be tempted to call the line for fish and chips LOL[/QUOTE]

LEt us know if you find one... put their address, phone number ,website, and whether they deliver (to TN !!!) on here !
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:35 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
LEt us know if you find one... put their address, phone number ,website, and whether they deliver (to TN !!!) on here !

LOL, If i ever find a very decent and authentic chippy in the states, i will publisize it like crazy lol. *prays for a decent chippy* (preferably in indy LOL).
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:37 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I was just wanting some advice, Hubby and i are going to washington dc for a wk, during the day he will have to be doing training for work, but i get to explore washington. I know most of the big monuments to see, but was wondering if anyone would have some advice here, going to be mostly on foot using public transport (don't know much about the system yet). Any advice or ideas for things to do would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
My sister (lives there) says the Holocaust Museum is a must see.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:39 pm
Renegade who has it made

Originally Posted by Leslie66
My sister (lives there) says the Holocaust Museum is a must see.

I was thinking about that one too!

Im going to have to make myself an itinerary of things to do on each day and figure out whats close to each other and what train stop and line to go to etc lol. But i really am appreciating all the advice, its making me even more excited LOL
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:50 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
The zoo is also a nice place (if it's warm enough) and it's free too !
The zoo's free - the parking there isn't! You just have to hope that the animals wanna come out on display though but I guess that's the same with every zoo.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 9:05 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
The zoo's free - the parking there isn't! You just have to hope that the animals wanna come out on display though but I guess that's the same with every zoo.
There is a Metrorail stop about three blocks away from the zoo. Must be the longest escalator in the world that brings you up to street level.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:19 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdyoung
There is a Metrorail stop about three blocks away from the zoo. Must be the longest escalator in the world that brings you up to street level.
I take it you've not been to Wheaton on the Red line...

NC Penguin
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:29 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for the replies. I definitely want to visit the smithsonian institutes, will definitely be getting a look at that. I know that there are areas in dc that can be fairly sketchy, as long as i know where i am and where im going, im not too worried about it. But i definitely plan to have fun! I definitely would like to get a metro card per day or for the wk, so i could just ride it wherever if i had to, would definitely be useful. Seeing the british embassy im actually wondering if i should get an errand done LOL. I need to get my passport changed into my married name, I know i would have to send it to dc, maybe i could go hand deliver while im there lol, make me feel a bit better about that lol. I definitely plan to be walking a bunch in dc (help me lose any weight i put on with delicious food LOL). But is good to know that the transport system is decent (one thing ive missed about london is the transport lol). Ooh, one thing which im not sure if anyone would know, but are there any decent fish and chippies in washington? Im still craving it badly lol i tried it out in florida at epcot and was quite a let down lol. Figure if theres in dc id definitely get to it LOL
For food suggestions, I would recommend reading and/or posting on Chowhound's DC & Baltimore area board.

The DC area has a great number of ethnicities living there and this is reflected by the highly diverse restaurant scene so it'd be a shame not to dine out at Vietnamese, Korean, Nicaraguan, Ethiopean, Korean restaurants, for example.

Don't forget there's a Chinatown in DC and there's Metro stops nearby.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 4th 2006, 10:38 pm
Renegade who has it made

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
For food suggestions, I would recommend reading and/or posting on Chowhound's DC & Baltimore area board.

The DC area has a great number of ethnicities living there and this is reflected by the highly diverse restaurant scene so it'd be a shame not to dine out at Vietnamese, Korean, Nicaraguan, Ethiopean, Korean restaurants, for example.

Don't forget there's a Chinatown in DC and there's Metro stops nearby.

NC Penguin
Actually u brought me to another food group i wanted to ask about and that is chinese food, indy does not have any real decent chinese food, so maybe if i could find a highly recommended yet reasonably priced one in washington would be good to try. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old Jan 4th 2006, 11:17 pm

I take it you've not been to Wheaton on the Red line...

NC Penguin
No the zoo is as far as I have gone on the Red Line. I live in Baltimore County, MD, so normally I come in from New Carrolton or Beltsville. If going to Wheaton I would drive. In fact I'm taking my stereo amp to the Crown service center on Veirs Mill Rd right off Georgia Ave. Saturday.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 11:46 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Actually u brought me to another food group i wanted to ask about and that is chinese food, indy does not have any real decent chinese food, so maybe if i could find a highly recommended yet reasonably priced one in washington would be good to try. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
I've only been to DC's Chinatown a couple of times but I recommend Full Kee in Chinatown, whose food is cheap (generally speaking) and delicious.

Here's details about the place-
http://www.washingtonian.com/dining/...fullkeedc.html

It's very close to the junction of H ST. NW and 5th St. NW.

As with genuine Chinese restaurants, the decor is somewhat dodgy looking, but the diners are on the whole Asian, a good sign, and there's a line.

If you're not that familiar with DC, I also highly recommend one of those little foldout maps. I think they're made by Map Group Inc. Handy size and has places of interest and Metro stops identified.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 5th 2006, 12:04 am

If you're not that familiar with DC, I also highly recommend one of those little foldout maps. I think they're made by Map Group Inc. Handy size and has places of interest and Metro stops identified.
The best maps are the ADC book maps you can buy at 7-11, but those are bit large to be hauling around town if walking. If you are taking about the type I'm thinking about, those good because they are laminated and small enough to stick in a pocket or purse.

This place will have either:

ADC Map & Travel Center
1636 I (Eye) Street N.W.
Washington, DC 20006
Tel: 800/544-2659
Old Jan 5th 2006, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Me, hubby, son and daughter all loved our trip to Washington DC. We spent 4 extremely busy days there (Thanksgiving 2004) and didn't manage to see everything we wanted to. I think we'll be taking another trip there this Spring.

I recommend an Old Town Trolley Bus Tour, we got free tickets when we stayed at the Hyatt. It's a hop on, hop off service and it takes you to most of the touristy and not so touristy places, we used it to get to Georgetown. The drivers also give a running commentary about interesting places on the route, some of which was quite amusing.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 1:35 am
Just Joined

Dually is a jewel in the roughDually is a jewel in the roughDually is a jewel in the roughDually is a jewel in the roughDually is a jewel in the rough

For fish & chips - no "true" chippies but here are some places I can really recommend in terms of getting some "decent" fish & chips out of some pubs here

The Royal Mile Pub -owned by a Scots family - this is about 12 miles from the city centre, so you'd need to take a taxi if you were *truly* interested in having a great Scots time. It's in a suburb of DC called Wheaton on the Maryland side (if it's not in the city centre, then it's on the VA or MD "side")

http://www.royalmilepub.com/hours.htm

If you want to stick with the city center, there's an Irish pub called the Dubliner on Massachusetts Avenue down the road literally from Union Station (the big train station) near the Capitol Building too - believe it or not as commercialized as this place comes across, it has good food

http://www.dublinerdc.com/

And I haven't tried this place, it just opened up in 2003, and I have no idea who owns it, but a place called The Flying Scotsman on Constitution Avenue

http://www.flyingscotsman-dc.com/food.htm

----

Also if you do decide to visit the Embassy, they'll tell you that they're near the Naval Observatory (the what?!) haha

Here are public transit directions (trust me, you'll never find them on the website) and you'll never get them out of the folks at the Embassy -or at least I didn't

Public Transit: The Naval Observatory is accessible via MetroBus from Metro's Red line Friendship Heights, Tenleytown-AU, Dupont Circle, and Farragut North stations and the Farragut West station which is on the Orange and Blue lines. The N2, N4, and N6 MetroBus connects at these stations and travel past the Naval Observatory along Massachusetts Avenue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.