Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Washington DC

Washington DC

Old Jan 5th 2006, 11:56 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Washington DC

Originally Posted by mdyoung
One other thing that I think is nice is to ride the glass elevator to observation deck of the bell tower of the Old Post Office building. Gives you a nice view of the city.
That sounds awesome to do!!!

Originally Posted by ms_bhon
re: metro to Georgetown- you can get off at the stop at Foggy Bottom and walk (west, if I recall). Should only take you about 8-10 minutes. There's a lush in Georgetown as well, on M Street, if you're missing it (a UK based toiletry company).

There's also a really good Burmese restaurant in Chinatown. It's on the second floor. It's called "burma". It's on 6th street. here's a review

Also, if you're museum-ing it, and want a fab lunch- walk a couple of blocks north of the mall to 7th and E to Jaleo. Really authentic and super yummy tapas. jaleo

Another on the yummy but not too expensive list is Malaysian Koptiam

and as far as staying in "NW", that's pretty true, except for the Capitol Hill area, which is, I believe, in "SW". A few pubs, bars, restaurants over there as well.

Adams Morgan is great for ethnic eating, particularly Ethiopian.

As far as museum, people have covered most of what I was going offer already. Lots to see and do, and it's all free!
have fun.
Thank you very much, i definitely think i need to do a lot of research on places to eat, your suggestions seem great! THANKS!!

Originally Posted by SGTROD
I really enjoyed the International Spy Museum.
It's at 800 F Street NW. Tickets are $15.
Definitely on my list of things to go see lol!
Old Jan 6th 2006, 12:13 am
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely on my list of things to go see lol![/QUOTE]
Eh how long are you going for
Old Jan 6th 2006, 12:38 am
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clydegirl
Definitely on my list of things to go see lol!
Eh how long are you going for [/QUOTE]

LOL gonna be in dc for a wk, 5 days where i get to do whatever i want during the day lol (ie hubby is busy haha), gonna need a lotta things to keep me busy lol
Old Jan 6th 2006, 12:42 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

LOL gonna be in dc for a wk, 5 days where i get to do whatever i want during the day lol (ie hubby is busy haha), gonna need a lotta things to keep me busy lol

Well, we expect a full report once you've returned!!
Old Jan 6th 2006, 12:45 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by Leslie66
and lots of pics.....
Old Jan 6th 2006, 4:15 pm
Renegade who has it made

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Haha you will get it lol

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
and lots of pics.....
LOL i don't even know how to put pics up on here but if i have good ones id see what i could do lol
Old Jan 6th 2006, 4:54 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
Haha you will get it lol

LOL i don't even know how to put pics up on here but if i have good ones id see what i could do lol
LOL.... it's no worries.. either upload them to the member's photo gallery or when you type a post, there is a section at the bottom to manage attachmetns - you can put them in here via that too....
Old Jan 6th 2006, 5:06 pm
Renegade who has it made

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
LOL.... it's no worries.. either upload them to the member's photo gallery or when you type a post, there is a section at the bottom to manage attachmetns - you can put them in here via that too....
Ahhhh, will have to see lol. im not sure whether i should carry around my camera or not on my own and look too much like a tourist. I normally would always have my camera on me with my hubby (mostly cos i make him carry it LOL).
Old Jan 6th 2006, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
Ahhhh, will have to see lol. im not sure whether i should carry around my camera or not on my own and look too much like a tourist. I normally would always have my camera on me with my hubby (mostly cos i make him carry it LOL).
You say you're from London so you probably know the deal about how to blend in with locals. In any case, DC is a tourist destination so just take precautions so you won't become a "victim"!
Old Jan 6th 2006, 5:40 pm
Renegade who has it made

Originally Posted by Celsius
You say you're from London so you probably know the deal about how to blend in with locals. In any case, DC is a tourist destination so just take precautions so you won't become a "victim"!
Yea i know, generally never carry large amounts of money and valuables and know where you're going lol.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 12:40 am
Just Joined

Dually is a jewel in the roughDually is a jewel in the roughDually is a jewel in the roughDually is a jewel in the roughDually is a jewel in the rough

Holy cow - look at all these recommendations!

Just another word - you'll be fine in DC - I live here in Baltimore - right up the road from DC and I've been here 5 years - DC is safer than Baltimore (check out the stats on the internet if you need to). Use all the usual precautions, you'll be fine.

I have to agree with the person who posted about the National Space & Aeronautics Museum - it's actually very very good. My friend is the Director of Fundraising at the Holocaust Museum - can't go wrong if you're into that kind of thing. And like folks said - the International Spy Museum.

Obviously, you're going to be fine with plenty to do.

Hey, and thanks to whomever posted that great other fish & chips place!
Old Jan 7th 2006, 7:16 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

You've got some excellent suggestions and recommendations, so many that there really isn't too much I can add (and I grew up outside DC!), but here are a couple of things:

• I don't recall if you said WHEN you are going, but if it's rather soon I suggest bringing a good hat/scarf/gloves along with you. DC can be colder than many out-of-towners expect it would be, especially if you're going to be doing a lot of walking. Starting in March/April it starts warming up, though.

• I definitely recommend the Holocaust Museum -- BUT, consider yourself warned about its emotional impact, plus how much time it will take to see it. The Holocaust Museum is like a history book on display, set up chronologically by level and is not the sort of museum you'll want to just breeze through. There are displays to see (photographs, videos, artifacts) as well as hear (radio and television addresses). On top of that, it is emotionally draining. Don't get me wrong -- it is definitely worth seeing and experiencing. But it is very difficult to see and experience. When I visited the Holocaust Museum several years ago, I remember walking out of it feeling extremely depressed and saddened by what I had seen. Most people I saw leaving the museum the same time I did had the same blank looks on their faces that I had on mine. It is an important museum, critical to understanding what happened back then, but not something to be taken lightly.

• Although also a somber experience but probably less so than the Holocaust Museum is a visit to Arlington National Cemetary. It even has its own Metro stop. It's worth it to go on one of the little tours they give; Mark's family enjoyed going there when they visited us a couple of years ago. It's actually a very beautiful, serene place.

~ Jenney
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:38 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark

• I definitely recommend the Holocaust Museum -- BUT, consider yourself warned about its emotional impact, plus how much time it will take to see it. The Holocaust Museum is like a history book on display, set up chronologically by level and is not the sort of museum you'll want to just breeze through. There are displays to see (photographs, videos, artifacts) as well as hear (radio and television addresses). On top of that, it is emotionally draining. Don't get me wrong -- it is definitely worth seeing and experiencing. But it is very difficult to see and experience. When I visited the Holocaust Museum several years ago, I remember walking out of it feeling extremely depressed and saddened by what I had seen. Most people I saw leaving the museum the same time I did had the same blank looks on their faces that I had on mine. It is an important museum, critical to understanding what happened back then, but not something to be taken lightly.
Unless you are Jewish I can't understand why anyone would want to go to the Holocaust Museum on their vacation. When not pop in on a few funerals while you're at it.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 11:06 pm
Renegade who has it made

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
You've got some excellent suggestions and recommendations, so many that there really isn't too much I can add (and I grew up outside DC!), but here are a couple of things:

• I don't recall if you said WHEN you are going, but if it's rather soon I suggest bringing a good hat/scarf/gloves along with you. DC can be colder than many out-of-towners expect it would be, especially if you're going to be doing a lot of walking. Starting in March/April it starts warming up, though.

• Although also a somber experience but probably less so than the Holocaust Museum is a visit to Arlington National Cemetary. It even has its own Metro stop. It's worth it to go on one of the little tours they give; Mark's family enjoyed going there when they visited us a couple of years ago. It's actually a very beautiful, serene place.

~ Jenney

I figured it might be pretty chilly when we go, very beginning of feb lol. I had read about the holocaust museum and about it being something to go see, my husband said that perhaps i shouldnt as it might not be in the right mood, esp if im on my own. Im not Jewish, but i like to learn things i may not know, so does interest me, but i think u may well be right on it being emotionally draining, so i think i will see how it goes when im there for that one lol.

Mdyoung: my hubby said the similar thing as you LOL, was rather amusing.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 11:26 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdyoung
Unless you are Jewish I can't understand why anyone would want to go to the Holocaust Museum on their vacation. When (sic) not pop in on a few funerals while you're at it.
You don't have to be Jewish to appreciate the profundity and historical relevance of the Holocaust. Jews weren't the only ones affected by the Holocaust, after all. Even if that wasn't the case, it doesn't matter: the Holocaust Museum provides a way to be reminded of the importance of the human spirit and perserverance in the most desperate and darkest of times.

As for "popping in on funerals" -- that is not what I suggested doing. Arlington National Cemetary is a historic site, as well as being the final resting place for some of the greatest Americans in our history.

If you can't understand either of these points, then I feel sorry for you.

~ Jenney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.