Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move to the USA / Florida

Wanting to move to the USA / Florida

Old Jun 30th 2018, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move to the USA / Florida

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Because the US has plenty of fast food workers and nurses there already, they don't need foreign ones. Essentially, what they want are highly skilled (engineers, doctors, etc), and qualified (a degree as a minimum, a masters or PhD gives even more chance of a visa) people, and they can afford to be picky.

Nobody has given it to you yet, so have a look at the list of possible visas here and you can see how tough most of them are to qualify for - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...ork_in_the_USA

If you see any routes that may work for you, just shout and somebody will be happy to give you more info. It may also be worth asking about your expected salary in the US, as without the safety net of the UK's benefit system and the NHS it could be tough.

Good luck.
Post # 4!

To th OP, it's hard because that's the way the US wants it, purse and simple. It doesn't matter what YOU want, the country is VERY selective as to who they allow to immigrate and you have no say in the matter.

Certainly at a minimum, they want people who can ADD to the population and not take jobs away from citizens, so it's made very hard.

There is no 'form you can fill in to see if you qualify'. You have been directed to a Wiki no less than three times now, so I respectfully suggest you read it through and come back and ask any relevant questions when you have done so.
Old Jun 30th 2018, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

watchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura about

I feel sorry for people who come to the USA on holiday and then want to move here and live in some place like Florida
I don't really want to spoil the OP's dreams but it's not so nice when you actually get here and try to live. I have known so many good people who have found out the hard way. I drive a truck for a living and make dam good wages compared to others in the same industry, I have seen so many guys move to Canada to drive trucks, mainly because although there are scammers who offer driving jobs in the USA to UK drivers they are never going to get a job driving in the USA because truck driving is not a skilled job, nor is working at McDonalds I am afraid to say. The chances of this person getting a green card are about as rare as rocking horse poop. Truck drivers who wanted to do it choose the Canadian option because being British they can easily get residency sponsored by the companies that hire them, each company has job fares in the UK and hire the drivers and assist them in getting residency for Canada, those drivers can then enter the USA for deliveries etc.
Sorry to ruin this for you but I very much doubt you will get a green card unless your partner / spouse is a US citizen, my wife is. Good luck in your quest anyway.
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
This has to be a troll. Can't spell his "employer's" name?
This is what I thought too . . .
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 5:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

HU

McDonalds has a University.
Old Jul 8th 2018, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
HU

McDonalds has a University.
As does Disney, but what help that is to the OP is neither here nor there.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thomasthomas

how come it’s sooo hard to get in has it always been like this and we’re do fill in a form to see if u can get accepted
The USA is being overwhelmed with illegal immigration from Central America
Old Jul 15th 2018, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster
If illegal immigration disappeared tomorrow, I doubt it would become easier to emigrate legally.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 4:57 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

That seems unlikely. The entire population of Central America is only about 43 million, and their land area 200,000 square miles. Compare that with the US population of about 325 million and a land area of 3.9 million square miles.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 5:03 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt we will see the OP ever again.

This thread has taken almost the identical path to all others from posters in a similar situation. I play a mental game of bingo when I see such thread titles and see how close I get to a full house of the following squares on my bingo ticket in my mind:

- Florida (bonus point for Orlando)
- low-skilled jobs
- partner
- “would love to”/“desperate to” move
- mentioning of bad weather in the U.K.
- been there x times and “love the lifestyle”
- convinced that, despite being given the link to all the possible visa types numerous times, there must be a “secret” way of getting here that we have not revealed to them
- belief that being a hard-working, good person is all that is required to qualify for a visa/green card
- not interested in making this a long-term goal - wanting to be on the plane next week
- original poster goes MIA without even the courtesy to thank those who have taken the time to respond (probably because the responses are not the ones he wanted to hear so he deems them as unhelpful when in fact they are the most helpful pieces of information he will read in all this)
Old Jul 15th 2018, 5:21 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

He had no idea but does now, so good luck to him whatever he does. Florida has hurricanes and all sorts of dangerous fauna and more crime than I like (in my limited experience) so they may be better off not going.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Also hard for UK trained nurses to get registered in the US due to how UK training is done
Old Jul 16th 2018, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
That seems unlikely. The entire population of Central America is only about 43 million, and their land area 200,000 square miles. Compare that with the US population of about 325 million and a land area of 3.9 million square miles.
We have nowhere to put 43 million Central Americans, we've outsourced our jobs to China and Mexico. American corporations have an insatiable appetite for slave labor. Why feed it, the rich get richer and everybody else gets poorer.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 3:27 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Trolley McTrollface
Old Jul 16th 2018, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

We have nowhere to put 43 million Central Americans, we've outsourced our jobs to China and Mexico. American corporations have an insatiable appetite for slave labor. Why feed it, the rich get richer and everybody else gets poorer.
Why do many Americans assume that the whole world wants to relocate to the US? It probably comes as a great surprise that a large proportion of those who live in shitholes have absolutely no desire to come here.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Why do many Americans assume that the whole world wants to relocate to the US? It probably comes as a great surprise that a large proportion of those who live in shitholes have absolutely no desire to come here.
I don't know - why did you come?

Your claim is as unsubstantiated as jeepster's about 43 million Central Americans.

This thread doesn't need to become yet another unhinged right/left hysteria-fest on immigration.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.