Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

wanting to move to usa enquiry about visas

wanting to move to usa enquiry about visas

Old Oct 25th 2007, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wanting to move to usa enquiry about visas

Originally Posted by Celsius
I'd love to know about this 3 months temporary visa that allows foreigners to work.
Theoretically there is one, the J-1. Something tells me that isn't what they were told about though and no chance of getting it.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 1:50 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
thank you for your reply
You're welcome!
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

sasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by snowbunny
They forgot the part where she parlayed that 40K GBP into $1,000,000 USD and bought a business.
thanks but dont watch it more important things to do than follow that soap:
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:37 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bird family
thanks but dont watch it more important things to do than follow that soap:
I'm glad you do!

The joke was that you CAN get a visa to the US if you have $1 million to invest. Simply arriving with 40K GBP wouldn't work. The show's producers conveniently left out reality.... but that's the point of soaps innit?
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad you do!

The joke was that you CAN get a visa to the US if you have $1 million to invest. Simply arriving with 40K GBP wouldn't work. The show's producers conveniently left out reality.... but that's the point of soaps innit?
She also wouldn't have been able to buy a one-way ticket to the US without a visa. If she did the airline wouldn't let her board.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:44 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
She also wouldn't have been able to buy a one-way ticket to the US without a visa. If she did the airline wouldn't let her board.
Yep.

It'd be funny if television programmes had to publish a credibility rating. The soaps and talkies would be near bottom, watchdog-style shows would be near the middle, and documentaries above that, but I still think it'd be hard to get near 100%. The UK documentaries get far closer than any of the US shows I've watched, though.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

sasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Celsius
You've obviously heard of the American Dream. It's a dream for many US born Americans too.

I'd love to know about this 3 months temporary visa that allows foreigners to work.
hi apparantly my husband has been misinformed. many thanks for your reply.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Theoretically there is one, the J-1. Something tells me that isn't what they were told about though and no chance of getting it.
many thanks for your reply. it was just some guy on a building site told my husband about it apparantly it wasnt right sorry for wasting everyones time.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:49 pm
Lapine Member

many thanks for your reply. it was just some guy on a building site told my husband about it apparantly it wasnt right sorry for wasting everyones time.
You don't need to apologise for a sincerely asked question!
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

I'm glad you do!

thats true , not completely blind to how hard it is to get into usa we done loads of research on this before we made our mind up to go to nz. But im not victoria beckham and so i cant buy my way in. just have to have holidays there instead. just been to phoenix arizona and then san dieago california just love the way of life over there and the warmth. and not forgetting the blue skies. never mind. thanks for your input though
Old Oct 25th 2007, 3:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

thats true , not completely blind to how hard it is to get into usa we done loads of research on this before we made our mind up to go to nz. But im not victoria beckham and so i cant buy my way in. just have to have holidays there instead. just been to phoenix arizona and then san dieago california just love the way of life over there and the warmth. and not forgetting the blue skies. never mind. thanks for your input though
Don't be misled into thinking living in a new country will be anything like your holiday experience...it's not.

Why are you so keen to leave the UK? Many expats would give there right arm to return. It's a case of the grass is always greener etc etc etc.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

I blame Cilla on Corrie...she came into 40K GBP...bought a 1 way ticket to Vegas so she can start a new live in the US.
Yeah I was laughing my butt off when I watched that one! If only it were that easy.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be misled into thinking living in a new country will be anything like your holiday experience...it's not.

Why are you so keen to leave the UK? Many expats would give there right arm to return. It's a case of the grass is always greener etc etc etc.
Many expats think it's the best thing they have done. The expats I know, very few have returned or wish to.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 6:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by surly
Many expats think it's the best thing they have done. The expats I know, very few have returned or wish to.
True. BTW I was referring to all expats that leave the UK not just the ones that move to the US.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bill_S
I thought you'd already given up on the USA as impossible... from one of your posts in the NZ forum:

we did try to get into the USA
but had no luck there as was almost impossible. We are looking for a better life for our grown up children and have heard new zealand is the place to be.

I don't know what to make of this one... sincere or troll?

Bird family, you have no chance of getting to the USA. What happened to Canada and NZ?
actually sincerely we have already started the ball rolling for nz. just following up something someone told my husband regarding usa. wasnt sure so wanted to ask for advice. sorry not a troll just someone trying to get the correct facts as you know it was our first dream to go to usa. thanks anyway for your input

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.