Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

wanting to move to usa enquiry about visas

wanting to move to usa enquiry about visas

Old Oct 24th 2007, 11:12 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wanting to move to usa enquiry about visas

Originally Posted by surly
Arsenal Season Ticket holder, I'd keep that quiet around here. Too many MU fans.
I have to keep it quiet in the UK too. I was in Heathrow watching the Man U - Arsenal match in the BA Lounge. When Van Nistelrooy hit the bar on his bs penalty a few years ago, I jumped up in glee and started screaming some choice words at the television. The others in the lounge were all shocked to find an Arsenal fan in their presence. I then realized I was very alone (but happy).

Here's the lovely video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWXq_-LdxHk
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:17 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

How do you end up here by chance?
My husband was going to emigrate from the Netherlands to Canada. I'm an Anglophile USC; he was on BE looking for immigration-to-Canada advice and to practise his English. We met online, ended up marrying, and now he's here. He does happen to be a truck driver cos he likes doing it but could do just about anything he set his mind to do.

There is a higher percentage of Brits here due to marrying in rather than emigrating with their family, than there is in Canada and Australia, but that's because of the fact that it's next to impossible to immigrate here based upon one's job unless one is transferred or exceptionally skilled. The ONLY easy way in is through marriage.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:54 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

How do you end up here by chance?
Like Mister snowbunny, my UKC DAH had no interest in moving here off his Greek island until after we'd married.
He likes it plenty now, though.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

sasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bill_S
I thought you'd already given up on the USA as impossible... from one of your posts in the NZ forum:

we did try to get into the USA
but had no luck there as was almost impossible. We are looking for a better life for our grown up children and have heard new zealand is the place to be.

I don't know what to make of this one... sincere or troll?

Bird family, you have no chance of getting to the USA. What happened to Canada and NZ?
Thanks for your reply. MY husbands dream has always been america. how ever your right i have made enquiries in other countries as america seemed out of the question. But you know what its like when someone tells you something and we had to follow this up about the 3 months temporary work visa and i thought who better to ask than bristish expacts for advice.
I have applied to NZ and i hope we have success there just waiting to hear from them. Didnt realise I was gonna get so many sarcastic replies though to
my america question. I have looked into NZ very carefully and done as much research as I can but sometimes its nice to get a bit of help to things I dont know about. thanks for your reply
Old Oct 25th 2007, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

sasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the roughsasha 1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by snowbunny
My husband was going to emigrate from the Netherlands to Canada. I'm an Anglophile USC; he was on BE looking for immigration-to-Canada advice and to practise his English. We met online, ended up marrying, and now he's here. He does happen to be a truck driver cos he likes doing it but could do just about anything he set his mind to do.

There is a higher percentage of Brits here due to marrying in rather than emigrating with their family, than there is in Canada and Australia, but that's because of the fact that it's next to impossible to immigrate here based upon one's job unless one is transferred or exceptionally skilled. The ONLY easy way in is through marriage.
thanks for your reply
Old Oct 25th 2007, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Please read the above linked page. None of the occupations you mention are eligible for work-based visas; unlike Canada and Australia, work-based visas are very difficult to qualify for.
thank you for your comments
Old Oct 25th 2007, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
I'm not even going to read all the past posts. She's been trying this on to every English speaking country under the sun by the looks.

bird family: there is no US Green Card in your future. However, I encourage your husband to let the agent at the airport know his plans when he arrives.
thank you for your reply. yes your right we have made a lot of enquiries thats how serious we are in getting out of this country. My husband first dream has always been america. although i have now submitted forms for nz after lots of research. I was just following up something someone told him about this 3 months temporary visa to make sure for his piece of mind.
thanks
Old Oct 25th 2007, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Hi,

Whoa.

I think you have been seriously misinformed. I'm not sure where to start.

It is extremely difficult to get into the USA. Can you divorce your husband and marry an American? That is probably easier than the other options that exist (seriously).

First, read the links provided.

Second, the 'tempory 3 month visa'--what is that? Who told you there was such a thing? You can come in for 3 months on the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) but taking any sort of employment is not only illegal but would *seriously* jeopardize your chances of coming over legally in the future.

While there may be a high demand for crane operators or scaffolders or plumbers or whatever, there are generally no work visas at all for those type of occupations. Nil. None. Zilch. Nothing. It is difficult enough to get in as a computer scientist with a university degree and a solid job offer and a company willing to pay all the visa fees.

The only situation I could think of is if your husbands company was an international construction firm that had offices in the US and the UK, and then was able to transfer him over for a bit to work on a project in the US. That or you have the financial resources to open a new construction company in the US (i.e. > $500,000 or so).

But I really think you should read the above links and get some rock solid information from whoever was telling you stuff like 'three month temporary visa'.

Good luck
thank you for your advice i didnt think it was right just following up something someone told my husband
Old Oct 25th 2007, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

I have never seen a Brit write "hisself" nor say the word.

I had a Bird friend from Somerset and he is of the finest quality.
thanks for your reply himself then typing error
Old Oct 25th 2007, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

Which brings up an interesting (to me) question. We seem to have an assortment of truck drivers, hairdressers, electricians and such here. Which is not exactly rocket science or is just about everyone here due to a USC spouse?

Sort of ironic though, a lot of people that make fun of those wanting to come and their chances are themselves dissatisfied with their lives here.
thank you for your reply
Old Oct 25th 2007, 5:43 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Er...what was wrong with my reply, then?
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Er...what was wrong with my reply, then?
not sure how/why she left you out,
Old Oct 25th 2007, 11:45 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Having read your posts on other parts of this great forum, you'll be happy to hear that I don't think you're a troll.

Your greatest hope for living in America is that your unmarried or unshackled children (I'm afraid I can't be bothered to read through again and work out which ones these are--but I'm sure you will know!) will marry a USC and then go and live in America. They will be able to sponsor you to come and live here, too, around four or so years after they start living here--providing they keep off the weed, don't get caught battering their USC spouse, and pay their taxes. You'll be happy to hear, I'm sure, that they'll also be able to sponsor their siblings, but the time frame for this is more likely around the fifteen year mark. I'm afraid I couldn't work out whether I'd missed anyone else in the extended family unit (and as I said I'm far to calm at the moment to go back and read it again), but if I did I'm afraid the outlook for them might not be so rosy as yours, and they should perhaps start considering another country to emigrate to.

thank you for your reply
Old Oct 25th 2007, 11:54 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
American passport, Arsenal Season Ticket holder.
wow. god shat on you.......
Old Oct 25th 2007, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bird family
thank you for your reply. yes your right we have made a lot of enquiries thats how serious we are in getting out of this country. My husband first dream has always been america. although i have now submitted forms for nz after lots of research. I was just following up something someone told him about this 3 months temporary visa to make sure for his piece of mind.
thanks
You've obviously heard of the American Dream. It's a dream for many US born Americans too.

I'd love to know about this 3 months temporary visa that allows foreigners to work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.