Reload this Page >

VWP, buying a car in the USA

VWP, buying a car in the USA

Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Mantas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default VWP, buying a car in the USA

Hello,

I'm going to the USA for 3 months(WVP),is it possible to buy a car and register it under my name,I have a valid European driving license(translated in English).

Thank You.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VWP, buying a car in the USA

re you planning to drive it over here in the US? Insurance might be a problem rather than buying it.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mantas
Hello,

I'm going to the USA for 3 months(WVP),is it possible to buy a car and register it under my name,I have a valid European driving license(translated in English).

Thank You.
Buying a car is the easy part. Getting it registered, titled, insured, and plated is going to be much harder as a tourist. Those procedures are state-dependent, so start checking the web sites of the Departments of Motor Vehicles of the states you plan to visit. It's likely to be more trouble than it's worth.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Mantas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lisa67
re you planning to drive it over here in the US? Insurance might be a problem rather than buying it.
I'm planning to drive it only within the US(most of the time within Illinois),as far as insurance they told me they would cover me with my European license,I'm just wondering if there might be any problems registering the car under my name
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:47 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

What do you plan to do with the car when your 90 days are up?
Old Oct 19th 2010, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Needs to be registered to an in-state street address (so, no box#'s) that you can prove (by DL + utility bill) that you are also attached to - so the short answer is no, you can't.
I am aware of visitors who have asked US based friends to do this on their behalf - and have been asked personally to step up to the plate - but then you become liable for all the tickets/fines/fleeing and evadings etc. etc. - so, all in all, a pretty crap idea, really.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 10:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not worth it...not just cost of car, massive insurance, but title/registration/plate/inspection, you've also got sales tax and town excise tax and then ball ache of selling the thing.

All in, it'll be cheaper to look at a long term rental.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 10:24 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know of any company offering three month insurance policies either; usually it's a six month term.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Just rent mate, if you have an Amex the insurance (not liability) will be 18$ or something for a 30 day period.

I doubt you are going to be able to buy and then sell the car without incurring some sort of a loss. Remember, it will be a forced sale when you leave.