Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

VW Jetta Sportswagen - petrol or diesel?

VW Jetta Sportswagen - petrol or diesel?

Old Aug 19th 2011, 9:40 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VW Jetta Sportswagen - petrol or diesel?

Oh, and I forgot the most important thing. Drive the two models.
I can guarantee that the diesel will put a huge grin on your face due to the torque the engine delivers. They are so much fun to drive.

I tried out the Honda Civic, Accord, Toyota Camry, Corolla, Mazda 3, 6. None of them came close.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 9:51 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My daughter's had 2 Jettas (petrol) and has had no problems with them. Had a nasty bump in the new one and walked away unharmed. Hubby bought a new Merc last fall...almost went for a diesel but decided against it in the end. We hope to go on an extended across country road trip and didn't want to run out of gas stations who sold diesel. Although I like to support UK or US goods...you can't beat German cars. Yeah I know the Jetta is built in Mexico.
LOL, that's funny. On a road trip, you can get over 700 miles on a tank.
And you can always find diesel. Part of the fun is driving in with the big rigs, and filling up with their pumps. A few years back, before they became more prevalent, I'd occasionally have clerks turn off the pumps, trying to protect me from 'damaging' my car. "Sir, that's diesel." "Well, yes, I would hope so".
Old Aug 20th 2011, 12:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
LOL, that's funny. On a road trip, you can get over 700 miles on a tank.
And you can always find diesel. Part of the fun is driving in with the big rigs, and filling up with their pumps. A few years back, before they became more prevalent, I'd occasionally have clerks turn off the pumps, trying to protect me from 'damaging' my car. "Sir, that's diesel." "Well, yes, I would hope so".
Out your way perhaps...not as common out on the East coast...hardly ever see it up in Maine unless on the interstate....down here in MA, it's more common, but far less common in Boston and the burbs compared to the western farmland.

The servicing and inspection is still a hassle.

If you can find a garage that services and do the annual inspection though, then go for it, there's no difference in performance these days anyway, little bit weirder to drive, but that's something I guess you get used to pretty quickly with the revs and torque.