Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

West Memphis Three to be released (Paradie Lost)

West Memphis Three to be released (Paradie Lost)

Old Aug 19th 2011, 9:29 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default West Memphis Three to be released (Paradie Lost)

Anyone ever see the documentary "Paradise Lost"? I see they are to be released.

Its so long ago that I saw the film, I am going to have to watch it again. The doc suggests that they were scapegoated just because they were differenet, a bit gothy
Old Aug 19th 2011, 9:44 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: West Memphis Three to be released (Paradie Lost)

I am glad you posted this. Yes, this is most welcome.
In my mind, finally a great travesty of justice is starting to be reversed, although they took an Alford plea.

I believe this means they can't sue the DA for wrongful imprisonment and lets the state off the hook.

It's just disgusting that it's taken this long. I know that prosecutors never apologize, but I wish that the crowd that prosecuted this went to jail.
I can't wait until November when they get to clear their names and, hopefully, Hobbs will go to jail.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Octang Frye View Post
I am glad you posted this. Yes, this is most welcome.
In my mind, finally a great travesty of justice is starting to be reversed, although they took an Alford plea.

I believe this means they can't sue the DA for wrongful imprisonment and lets the state off the hook.

It's just disgusting that it's taken this long. I know that prosecutors never apologize, but I wish that the crowd that prosecuted this went to jail.
I can't wait until November when they get to clear their names and, hopefully, Hobbs will go to jail.
This may result in vindication for more than just these young men. I know Damien's half-sister; she and her family suffered the slings and arrows of being related to a "child killer" and she lost a lot of friends and acquaintances because of it. Of course the killing took place just across the river from Memphis and the so-called perpetrators have ever been known as the "West Memphis Three". We'll all be eager to see how this ends up. We just hope the three haven't become hardened criminals who'll turn against society and try for retribution.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

The agreement required that they still admit guilt thereby allowing the authorities to continue to claim that they had convicted the correct people.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,5874148.story
Old Aug 20th 2011, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye View Post
I'm afraid OF, from the way I read it, that second trial won't happen. This plea deal is in lieu of a second trial.

I'm amazed they took the deal. Even more amazed their defense lawyer suggested it. In the eyes of the law, they are still guilty of the crime and will be until the day they die UNLESS the prosecution go after Hobbs or somebody else. So far the sign of that happening isn't good. The prosecutor has said the case is closed and only if new evidence is presented they might go after somebody else.

This isn't justice. It's a way of disposing of a case without the prosecution having egg on their face. Those felony convictions will be haunting these guys long after the freedom from jail feeling has worn off.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 1:28 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964 View Post
I'm afraid OF, from the way I read it, that second trial won't happen. This plea deal is in lieu of a second trial.

I'm amazed they took the deal. Even more amazed their defense lawyer suggested it. In the eyes of the law, they are still guilty of the crime and will be until the day they die UNLESS the prosecution go after Hobbs or somebody else. So far the sign of that happening isn't good. The prosecutor has said the case is closed and only if new evidence is presented they might go after somebody else.

This isn't justice. It's a way of disposing of a case without the prosecution having egg on their face. Those felony convictions will be haunting these guys long after the freedom from jail feeling has worn off.
I think they tool it to get (one of them) off death row. I dont understand the claim that it is closed, there is new evidence, isn't Hobbs DNA on a cord that bound one of the kids?, the DNA test are new.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
I think they tool it to get (one of them) off death row. I dont understand the claim that it is closed, there is new evidence, isn't Hobbs DNA on a cord that bound one of the kids?, the DNA test are new.
The whole thing is very odd. I understand taking the deal to get one of them off death row BUT if as all reports seem to suggest, a second trial would likely be granted by November and assuming the guy wasn't scheduled to be executed before then, once granted they couldn't carry out the death sentence until the outcome of the second trial. Also if they had an appeal in the system already, the death sentence couldn't be carried out until the outcome of the appeal.

As for the new evidence bit, I think he meant any new evidence against somebody else, not the "West Memphis Three" and they need more than just the DNA hair sample which may point to somebody else's involvement?

Last edited by Brit3964; Aug 20th 2011 at 2:15 am.