Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Vonage - likes/dislikes

Wikiposts

Vonage - likes/dislikes

Old May 28th 2007, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vonage - likes/dislikes

We also have Lingo. Had it for 2 years, largely very happy with it. At the time we signed up for it, Vonage didn't do the free calls to Europe thing. As far as I know, Lingo still has more countries you can call for free than Vonage; might be worth considering if you ring elsewhere in Europe.

Edit - Just checked, Lingo includes 21 countries free, also including Aus/NZ. Vonage has just 7.

Last edited by Dan725; May 28th 2007 at 3:32 am.
Old May 28th 2007, 3:35 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I have used Vonage for almost 2 years now and it works great. We have 4 lines here, 2 for home (tel and fax) and 2 for my small home business.
We also have 2 virtual phone numbers added to the home line, one is a UK number and one is a number local to Sue's parents. To add a virtual number you follow this link:
https://secure.vonage.com/vonage-web...r/purchase.htm

It costs a one time fee of $9.99 to add the number and then $4.99 per month. You can follow the above link, or log in to your account and select 'add-ons' and then follow the links that way

Originally Posted by Paul S
wheres that in the options??? or is it not a vonage thing
Old May 28th 2007, 5:23 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I have none of the above and my phone bill is always
less than $20 a month

Even the pigeon seed bill is only $10 a month ..
Old May 29th 2007, 2:19 am
Mun
Just Joined

Mun is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been using Vonage since last September and had no major trouble with it. The Linksys wireless router isn't great, call quality can be a bit flaky at times, and sometimes people have trouble getting through, but those aside it's good stuff.

Considered moving to Lingo, but had a lot of trouble with getting their hardware to work with my existing network, and the technical support was downright awful. Would recommend staying away from them, unless you have a lot of patience dealing with incompetent call centre staff!

Overall though, Vonage is well worth $30 odd per month.
Old May 30th 2007, 11:35 am
Resident Hambone

K2JLX has a spectacular aura aboutK2JLX has a spectacular aura aboutK2JLX has a spectacular aura about

I've had Vonage since last December, no complaints, very good audio, I like the online account management and the fact your voice mails are emailed to you (for me when I am not home, its great since I am usually always within arms reach of the internet).
Old Jun 4th 2007, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I was just talking to Vonage - 911 works through them now, in the U.S. for most locations.

One rep said they won some court appeal recently - but I sure can't find that news. Anyone know anything about it?
Old Jun 4th 2007, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by K2JLX
I've had Vonage since last December, no complaints, very good audio, I like the online account management and the fact your voice mails are emailed to you (for me when I am not home, its great since I am usually always within arms reach of the internet).

Lingo has all that too. Just sayin'.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am sooooo mad at Verizon I can't stand it anymore. So I'm being brave and going with Vonage.

The setup period sounds like a bit of a pain, and I have to change my alarm system to not use the phone line, so I hope it's worth it...