Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Vonage - likes/dislikes

Vonage - likes/dislikes

Old May 23rd 2007, 11:04 am
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vonage - likes/dislikes

With us all making calls back to the UK, does anyone have Vonage and what do you like/dislike about it or any problems.

I know only of a couple of people who have this and so far seem happy with it particularly the huge savings.
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:22 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vonage - likes/dislikes

its excellent (I have a sister in France too so it makes it even cheaper, shame they can't extend it to New Zealand so i could natter to me other sister). Only downside I've seen with our cable internet connection is teh call quality drops off if your 'downloading' large files. I just have to switch off the download which hardly a great issue.
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:26 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynne
With us all making calls back to the UK, does anyone have Vonage and what do you like/dislike about it or any problems.

I know only of a couple of people who have this and so far seem happy with it particularly the huge savings.
We use it and it's great. Obviously with all the taxes the bill is never $24.99 but providing we don't call any 0845 type numbers then we usually have a low bill.
We also pay an extra $5 to have a UK local number for people to call us at local rates.

Our cable went down the other day, something had chewed through the cable and so we didn't have any Vonage service for two days but we have cell phones.
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:36 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
We also pay an extra $5 to have a UK local number for people to call us at local rates.
wheres that in the options??? or is it not a vonage thing
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:26 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I dislike the fact that they may not be in business soon due to verizon patents....
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lynne

I use it and am generally happy with the service for personal use.

I also use it for business purposes and an far less happy with the service from that perspective. My work involves a lot of conference calls that include US and overseas participants. Occasionally toll free numbers are impossible to connect to and several times in the past couple of months voice quality during the day has dropped to the point where the service is unusable. This may be related to using toll free numbers. I started using toll numbers (which are free in the US) and the quality seems to be better, but then I've only been using the toll numbers for about a week.

With regards to the patent issues, I wouldnt worry about that too much - usually the parties in such disputes end up settling.
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:45 pm
The OC

MancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really nice

I have Vonage and Love it. Free calls back to the UK are great. I also setup a virtual number in Manchester (0161) so people could call me at local rates.

If you are technically savvy, you can wire the Vonage service into the existing telephone wiring in you home. I bough a cordless 3 handset phone from Costco so didn't need to use wires.

If you are going to go with Vonage send me a pm. If I refer you we both get 2 months free!!
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I dislike the fact that they may not be in business soon due to verizon patents....
What...........please explain/give a link...........
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:31 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul S
wheres that in the options??? or is it not a vonage thing
Not sure. It is a Vonage thing but I can't remember where on the website I have seen it. They told me about it in an email just after we signed up. We have been with them since the end of last year. Perhaps they don't do it anymore.
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure. It is a Vonage thing but I can't remember where on the website I have seen it. They told me about it in an email just after we signed up. We have been with them since the end of last year. Perhaps they don't do it anymore.
they all have that option....lingo make it a bit more obvious though.

one plus about vonage, is when you want to cancel the service, they tend to be better at it than lingo where they cut the service as soon as you ask for it to be cancelled, so it can't be done in advance (and yes I know you can move the cable thing with you if you move, but cable isn't everywhere).
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:04 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

We have been with them since the end of last year. Perhaps they don't do it anymore.
we took it up last summer. Must go have a dig on the webby and see what i can find......
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:05 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
What...........please explain/give a link...........
take a gander here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vonage
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:20 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

We use it and it's great. Obviously with all the taxes the bill is never $24.99 but providing we don't call any 0845 type numbers then we usually have a low bill.
Our cable went down the other day, something had chewed through the cable and so we didn't have any Vonage service for two days but we have cell phones.
Can't you do that through BE for free? I am sure I did when I signed on here. It is a different number but it routes to your phone and only costs the UK caller local UK rates. Am I mistaken?
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MancMan
I have Vonage and Love it. Free calls back to the UK are great. I also setup a virtual number in Manchester (0161) so people could call me at local rates.

If you are technically savvy, you can wire the Vonage service into the existing telephone wiring in you home. I bough a cordless 3 handset phone from Costco so didn't need to use wires.

If you are going to go with Vonage send me a pm. If I refer you we both get 2 months free!!
Its 2 months for you and 1 for who you refer. But both now also get a $50 visa card.
I had email this morning from them.
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute

Had it since last Sept. Call home almost every day. And can now keep in touch more with friends and other family members instead of just by email.
Works out to about just over $30 with fees and tax.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.