Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

VOIP costs and services in the UK?

VOIP costs and services in the UK?

Old Jun 10th 2006, 9:05 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default VOIP costs and services in the UK?

Time is getting close, so as you can imagine I'll have more questions as D-Day arrives.

I posted previously about possibly bring over my Lingo VOIP modem and US phone. I pay $20 a month for free LD all over Canada, US, Europe (landlines only in Europe). For another $10 I could add a UK number so people could call me at "local" (UK) rates and I would then have a UK and US phone number (if everything works!). So for $30/month (approx 18 GBP) I could just keep using Lingo, seems a pretty good deal.

A post on the US forum got me thinking well duh, maybe I can get similar service from a company within the UK, so ...

What is VOIP service like in the UK? (I mean where you can use a regular phone, not talk via mike/speakers and computer). All I really need is free service to US and UK, and possibly to get a US phone number. Of course, it will all depend on me having decent internet service whihc I suppose may not be a foregone conclusion ...

Does anyone have experience with any of this in the UK? All advice grapefully received!
Old Jun 10th 2006, 9:06 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VOIP costs and services in the UK?

Originally Posted by dunroving
Time is getting close, so as you can imagine I'll have more questions as D-Day arrives.

I posted previously about possibly bring over my Lingo VOIP modem and US phone. I pay $20 a month for free LD all over Canada, US, Europe (landlines only in Europe). For another $10 I could add a UK number so people could call me at "local" (UK) rates and I would then have a UK and US phone number (if everything works!). So for $30/month (approx 18 GBP) I could just keep using Lingo, seems a pretty good deal.

A post on the US forum got me thinking well duh, maybe I can get similar service from a company within the UK, so ...

What is VOIP service like in the UK? (I mean where you can use a regular phone, not talk via mike/speakers and computer). All I really need is free service to US and UK, and possibly to get a US phone number. Of course, it will all depend on me having decent internet service whihc I suppose may not be a foregone conclusion ...

Does anyone have experience with any of this in the UK? All advice grapefully received!
Aaaargh! Hey Mr and Mrs Moderator, can you move this to the UK Forum? Thank you ....

Dohhh!!
Old Jun 11th 2006, 1:12 am
Ping-ponger

Default Re: VOIP costs and services in the UK?

Originally Posted by dunroving
Aaaargh! Hey Mr and Mrs Moderator, can you move this to the UK Forum? Thank you ....

Dohhh!!
OK, ignore that request (and this thread) - I retyped it in the UK Forum.