Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visiting New York!

Visiting New York!

Old Jan 30th 2007, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting New York!

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Poor thing probably hasn't thawed out yet...

Probably not, have you had to turn your heating on at home to thaw out a bit luv?
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 12:29 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrandonBrit
So Liz, are you back in sunny AZ all safe and sound? Did you have a wonderful time? You could have come a bit further north and had a cuppa with me luvey

Waiting on your fun weekend details.
We had a great time. Sorry it's taken me so long to write this, things have been manic.

Arrived Friday lunchtime, by the time we'd got the bus to the hotel & checked in, it was 4pm, so we got out & managed to get to Grand Central Station, Rockefeller Centre, Radio City Music Hall, Times Square (had a drink in Planet Hollywood) & went up the Empire State Building. We finished the night off with a few drinks in the bar of our hotel...lovely stuff!

The next day we went to The New York Public Library, The Moondance Diner (featured in Spiderman 2 & Friends - we had a great breakfast there), Ground Zero, The Statue of Liberty (didn't get off there), Ellis Island (went & looked at the info/stats, very interesting), the Stock Exchange (had my photo taken with the Bull!!!), China town (had some Chinese food, yum!), Little Italy (had some pizza, yum - much better than expected!).

Then we met up with Hayley & Paul at an Irish bar just off Times Square. We had a great time, more good food, drank a plenty & got very merry. The bill was about $600 altogether, which was a bit of a shock, but well worth it! We took loads of photos, which I will get around to posting sometime soon. We finally got back to the hotel at about 4:30am.

We got a few hours kip & forced ourselves to get up at a decent time, checked out & they kept our bags for us, which was handy as we still had a few hours to kill. So we went to Central park, 5th Avenue (but didn't do any shopping!), Brick Lane Curry House, back to the hotel to get our bags, then off to the airport.

Our hotel was excellent & we will definitely use it again, superb location & reasonable prices. I highly recommend it.

A fab, much needed little holiday!
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 12:31 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not, have you had to turn your heating on at home to thaw out a bit luv?
My heating is on too much as it is, our gas bill was $156 this month, it's usually $20! :curse:
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 12:46 am
Another gloomy day!

hayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Partystar
We had a great time. Sorry it's taken me so long to write this, things have been manic.

Arrived Friday lunchtime, by the time we'd got the bus to the hotel & checked in, it was 4pm, so we got out & managed to get to Grand Central Station, Rockefeller Centre, Radio City Music Hall, Times Square (had a drink in Planet Hollywood) & went up the Empire State Building. We finished the night off with a few drinks in the bar of our hotel...lovely stuff!

The next day we went to The New York Public Library, The Moondance Diner (featured in Spiderman 2 & Friends - we had a great breakfast there), Ground Zero, The Statue of Liberty (didn't get off there), Ellis Island (went & looked at the info/stats, very interesting), the Stock Exchange (had my photo taken with the Bull!!!), China town (had some Chinese food, yum!), Little Italy (had some pizza, yum - much better than expected!).

Then we met up with Hayley & Paul at an Irish bar just off Times Square. We had a great time, more good food, drank a plenty & got very merry. The bill was about $600 altogether, which was a bit of a shock, but well worth it! We took loads of photos, which I will get around to posting sometime soon. We finally got back to the hotel at about 4:30am.

We got a few hours kip & forced ourselves to get up at a decent time, checked out & they kept our bags for us, which was handy as we still had a few hours to kill. So we went to Central park, 5th Avenue (but didn't do any shopping!), Brick Lane Curry House, back to the hotel to get our bags, then off to the airport.

Our hotel was excellent & we will definitely use it again, superb location & reasonable prices. I highly recommend it.

A fab, much needed little holiday!
We had so much fun with you guys! Haven't laughed that much in ages!
Glad you had a good time!
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 12:52 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by hayley82
We had so much fun with you guys! Haven't laughed that much in ages!
Glad you had a good time!
I laughed so hard, my face hurt, thanx very much for everything!
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 12:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

So pleased you enjoyed your trip to NYC Liz. Sorry I couldn't make it over to see you guys...perhaps next time.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a fab time Liz, glad you got to do the tourist things, we did the tourist stuff a few years back and it was brilliant....

600 bucks for a night on the town? But if you enjoyed yourselves it was well worth it

Re the heating bills.... astronomical here my woman.. I'd rather run the A/C for six months during an AZ summer than the heat here in a NE winter...they charge friggin; delivery charges here... you seem to pay more for that than the usage
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 3:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...they charge friggin; delivery charges here... you seem to pay more for that than the usage
tell me about it...though being a tight wad and not having the heat up, we're still using a stack of oil..
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
tell me about it...though being a tight wad and not having the heat up, we're still using a stack of oil..

We're tight wads too Bob But that bill comes every month and seems to get higher and higher, gas and electricity! Never been in a place before where they charge 'delivery' charges.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 3:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

We're tight wads too Bob But that bill comes every month and seems to get higher and higher, gas and electricity! Never been in a place before where they charge 'delivery' charges.
It's a scam, but in most places you get a choice in carriers so there's competition...around here in the burbs, there's only one carrier, and they get away with charging the earth...have to say though, not doing the dishes by hand every day and using the dish washer once a week has saved a bundle on both the electric and oil bills.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

And.... they say they read the meter each month, I just can't gigure how they get in my fenced back garden when I'm home most of the time (as I don't have a life) and have two dogs who are in and out and would let me know if anyone drives up the end of this lane....but we've checked the numbers and they're correct, but they're clever people getting by me and the dogs each month...I'd invite them in for a cuppa if I saw them.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 12:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

And.... they say they read the meter each month, I just can't gigure how they get in my fenced back garden when I'm home most of the time (as I don't have a life) and have two dogs who are in and out and would let me know if anyone drives up the end of this lane....but we've checked the numbers and they're correct, but they're clever people getting by me and the dogs each month...I'd invite them in for a cuppa if I saw them.
Our electric is read by them driving past at 20mph ..with some beam aimed at the house which apparently tells the meter to transmit and the meter send the reading back to the van..
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Our electric is read by them driving past at 20mph ..with some beam aimed at the house which apparently tells the meter to transmit and the meter send the reading back to the van..
Well I never, there good at inventing job's where you dont even have to get off your fat arse over here ain't they I mean't the bloke in the van.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 1:06 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Well I never, there good at inventing job's where you dont even have to get off your fat arse over here ain't they I mean't the bloke in the van.
But he can now read 10000 meters in a day instead of the old 500 a day ...
cut the meter reading staff by 80%
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
But he can now read 10000 meters in a day instead of the old 500 a day ...
cut the meter reading staff by 80%
Bet it ain't cut the cost of your bills though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.