Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visit US Embassy for H1B + H4...how long?

Visit US Embassy for H1B + H4...how long?

Old Jan 12th 2004, 8:34 pm
spiggle meister

Location: Manchester-Surrey-Coventry-Hampshire-West Yorkshire, now Woodland Hills,CA!
crazi_daizi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visit US Embassy for H1B + H4...how long?

We have our appointment next wednesday morning at 9am, how long are we likely to be there ? We kinda need to know as we're booking tickets to get there and come back etc...
Old Jan 12th 2004, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

When we went down this time last year we were there for around four hours - most of which was spent standing in a line outside the embassy and it was bloody freezing with the wind whipping around the corner. Dress warm!!!!

I would certainly give yourself the whole day - you can always do a bit of sightseeing or go for a meal before your train.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 8:39 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Husband went last Spring: 3 hours

I went last June: 41/2 hours.

Take a good book or a few magazines, sandwiches and a drink. The vending machine was out of order when I was there.

Your number comes up in some weird sort of 'lottery' system, so you see people who arrived ages after you did getting called to the counter for their interview before you do. Very annoying! I didn't dare to go to the loo in case my number came up and I missed it, then having to go to the back of the queue again!!

I was at the counter for less than 5 minutes for the 'interview'....
Old Jan 12th 2004, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Hey crazi daizi - is your hubby in games by any chance?

I only ask as my hubby is and asked me if I could remember how long our appt was earlier as he had seen someone post a question on an industry only board. Same day, same time, just thought there might be a chance given the mass exodus of game developers from the UK at the moment.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 9:09 pm
spiggle meister

Location: Manchester-Surrey-Coventry-Hampshire-West Yorkshire, now Woodland Hills,CA!

yeah he is! he's been posting similar stuff on the chaos engine?
Old Jan 12th 2004, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ha ha, that's the one, small world.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 9:18 pm
spiggle meister

small indeed! yeah I believe we are one of many peoples from the UK being recruited by games companies, probably due to the fact that all the UK companies seem to be going into liquidation! my hubby has been made redundant twice in the last 15 months hence us seeking somewhere a bit more job secure! where does yoour other half work?
Old Jan 12th 2004, 9:23 pm
spiggle meister

Originally posted by Englishmum
Husband went last Spring: 3 hours

I went last June: 41/2 hours.

Take a good book or a few magazines, sandwiches and a drink. The vending machine was out of order when I was there.

Your number comes up in some weird sort of 'lottery' system, so you see people who arrived ages after you did getting called to the counter for their interview before you do. Very annoying! I didn't dare to go to the loo in case my number came up and I missed it, then having to go to the back of the queue again!!

I was at the counter for less than 5 minutes for the 'interview'....

grrrrr thats annoying after waiting so long! ive heard random tales of not being allowed to take my handbag or phone - visions of me juggling with forms passports books and keys!
Old Jan 12th 2004, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

He's working for a company in Dallas.

The games industry in the UK is hurting right now. Quite a few people my husband used to work with are looking for jobs out here at the moment.

I did get to take my bag into the embassy. They just had a brief look in it and put it through the x-ray machine.

They made my hubby remove his shoes but that seems to be standard now as well.

I second what Englishmum said about supplies - pack chocolate and a book and whatever you do put on comfy shoes with thick soles. My feet were practically frozen solid by the time we got into the embassy.

Old Jan 14th 2004, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light
Red face

Originally posted by snorkmaiden
Hey crazi daizi - is your hubby in games by any chance? [..] mass exodus of game developers from the UK at the moment.
Suddenly, I feel a little less intrepid, heading out to the new world to write games like no one has written games before, then finding everyone else has already gone! Maybe the embassy should have a special line just dealing with us game developers?

I phoned this morning to make my appointment - now scheduled for 22nd Jan!
Old Jan 14th 2004, 11:24 am
spiggle meister

Originally posted by Scorchio
Suddenly, I feel a little less intrepid, heading out to the new world to write games like no one has written games before, then finding everyone else has already gone! Maybe the embassy should have a special line just dealing with us game developers?

I phoned this morning to make my appointment - now scheduled for 22nd Jan!
day after us!