Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Vets gone mad?

Vets gone mad?

Old Mar 10th 2005, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vets gone mad?

Last summer I was in the park walking my dog when I came across a woman and her 10 year old son with their Great Dane puppy. The puppy had this montrous contraption on its head where some pig had cut its ears and then attached what looked like a splint to make the ears stand up. I couldnt stop staring as the puppy was the cutest most innocent looking creature but it had ended up looking like the hammer house of horror. The woman actually looked quite embarrassed when I asked her about it. Her reply. 'Well he's my son's dog and he was given the choice whether he wanted him to have the operation or not!!!!!' like a 10 year old boy should be given a choice like that. You can just imagine it: 'would you like your puppies ears to stick up in the air Son oh and what super action hero would you like next'

Incidently the Great Dane kennel club does has no specific requirement for the ears either way.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 2:25 am
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

I expect the stupid, high strung, Americans will insist on circumcising dogs next...
Old Mar 10th 2005, 3:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden

I think before I moved here I would have agreed with you and thought it was unfair to keep a cat indoors, mainly because that is still fairly uncommon in the UK, but having read up on it a bit I feel comfortable with my decision to have cats and keep them inside.
Aye, that's fair enough, different conditions and all that, so keeping them indoors is one thing, but I still can't see why people de-claw...if it is such a problem, people probably shouldn't be allowed cats, and just get a hamster or something??
Old Mar 10th 2005, 11:53 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, that's fair enough, different conditions and all that, so keeping them indoors is one thing, but I still can't see why people de-claw...if it is such a problem, people probably shouldn't be allowed cats, and just get a hamster or something??
I wish people wouldn't call it de-clawing. It isn't de-clawing. It's amputation
Old Mar 10th 2005, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

Originally Posted by sibsie
I wish people wouldn't call it de-clawing. It isn't de-clawing. It's amputation
Yep it's a barbaric practice - the toes are actually cut off. Imagine you having your finger cut off at the first joint - that is what they do to the cats. After that the cat can become a problem with not using a litterbox because it hurts them to dig. The cat pees and poops in the house and the owner (who is stupid anyway cos she/he had the poor animal declawed) either throws the cat out (and declawed cats should never ever go outside again as they can't defend themselves or climb) or takes them to a shelter. There are many, many declawed cats in shelters. Declawing is banned in almost all other civilised countries. If someone is so precious about their carpets or furniture then they should not have a cat.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Well said sibsie and Alison! Karma on it's way
Old Mar 10th 2005, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I never realised all that about de-clawing. I dont have a cat but if I did i wouldnt have it done anyway I would never want to put an animal in a position where it could not defend itself. When we got our dog (Welsh springer spaniel) her tail was already docked, we were so gutted. They have the most beautiful tails, all feathered. Still sad about that now.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

We adopted two cats just last week, from a cat rehoming organisation operating out of our local petsmart, and we were asked if we had any plans to de-claw them. Of course we wouldn't, but I was relieved to hear the woman doing the adoptions was just as appalled by the concept as I was. She said she refuses to let anyone take one of her cats if they say they plan to de-claw them. She said that earlier she had a woman and daughter getting quite snotty with her because she refused them a cat on these grounds.

My wife's best friend routinely de-claws her cats, and just recently mutilated her new-born son, so she's right up there in my good books!
Old Mar 10th 2005, 3:08 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's the vets that have gone mad actually. It's the pet owners. The vets are just doing what the customers want.

I wonder if it ever crosses the minds of cat owners before they get their cat declawed, what the cat wants/prefers?

This would make an excellent Gary Larson cartoon.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 10th 2005, 3:19 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

I wonder how many of the posters on this board defending animals so vehemently, think it's perfectly okay to stick a sharp knife into the head of a baby and pull it from it's mother's womb.

Stirring the shit.
*ducking for cover*
Old Mar 10th 2005, 3:42 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

I think its all terrible, and down here in the south epople have an awful habit of getting pit bulls (like its a social status or something) and tying them to a tree or something outside in all weather even hurricanes(!) on a very short chain or rope. Its absolutely heartbreaking.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 4:15 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
"Most Americans"?? This IS happening in California -- I'd hardly call that "most Americans"!!

~ Jenney
Please read my post again. The reference to "most Americans" relates to their appearance which you can't deny is true...

It's probably also true to say that most American catowners get their cats de-clawed.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 10th 2005, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

TheWilliamsons is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Vets gone mad?

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Please read my post again. The reference to "most Americans" relates to their appearance which you can't deny is true...

It's probably also true to say that most American catowners get their cats de-clawed.

NC Penguin
We have two cats and a Border Collie and theres no way Id let any one touch them. Our neighbours have a cat thats been de-clawed and its like a dog lets you into the house and the sinks its teeth in. Im sure that hes never gotten over having its claws ripped out so now takes to bitting anyone and everyone. I hate it when they ask me to look after him hes got an evil streak LOL Its cost us the price of a second hand car to get them to the USA but my pets are worth every penny and would never leave them.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

grapefruit&milk is an unknown quantity at this point

NC Penguin
YIKES! No offense taken (or intended) but this is very far from the truth. Perhaps people who keep their pets exclusively indoors might still get cats declawed, but I know the stigma towards declawing is rapidly growing. Decades ago it was commonplace to declaw a cat BOTH front and back claws, now I'm pretty sure back claws are almost never removed. My own pet growing up had his front removed and we now regret it in hindsight--however, he's now 18 years old and still pretty healthy and prefers life outdoors. And the only people I personally know, growing up in the US, who still declaw cats are those who know the cats are going to be indoors and have very small children. I haven't run into a declawed cat in ages.

Declawing is also still legal in Canada as well. Too bad, I must admit, but when a single municipality like W. Hollywood makes it illegal, the vets--even if they fundamentally disapprove of the practice--are likely to see a lot of their business go south since declawing is $$$. I hate to see what seems like such greed among vets but if it completely jeopardizes their practice I suppose I can see from their perspective too....grudgingly.

And I, too, love the little bone one member threw in, if nothing to show that there is NO moral authority on a matter like this... I'm no big pro-lifer, but thanks Pigtails for thickening the broth!
Old Mar 10th 2005, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

ScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really nice

NC Penguin

We are looking for a new apartment at the moment and i have been horrifed to find the number of places that won't allow us to rent with them because out 2 cats aren't de-clawed. After suggesting that they were promoting animal cruelty by having this rule I was even told that the cats like it as it's just like them having their toenails clipped. I can barely believe there are people out there who actually think this is true!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.