Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Very low - what should we do ?

Very low - what should we do ?

Old May 16th 2011, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very low - what should we do ?

So, isn't that the equivalent of CNN/MSNBC/whatever for the main news and KSTU or whatever for the local?
Err, no... The kind of news that ZDF, France 3, BBC, etc, etc, etc has is editorially-based, irrespective of whether the news is local/national/international. Yes, it get's broken down into local news for some time after (30 minutes at 6 and 10 minutes at 10), but primarily, the news is classified by it's importance, not by it's location.

Both BBC News at 6 and BBC News at Ten attract around 6 million viewers (about 25% audience share).

19/20 on France 3 is the equivalent in France also with huge viewing figures (5 million viewers, or 23% audience share)

CNN and MSNBC are all well and good, but they tend to focus on one or two top stories and then do them to death. Local is far too local. Living in such a large country, it is amazing how little I know of what is going on in the next City down the road, no idea what is happening across the Sierra. You never quite feel like that in Europe.
Old May 16th 2011, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02
CNN and MSNBC are all well and good, but they tend to focus on one or two top stories and then do them to death. Local is far too local. Living in such a large country, it is amazing how little I know of what is going on in the next City down the road, no idea what is happening across the Sierra. You never quite feel like that in Europe.
So how much does the news in Germany tell you about what's going on in, say, the Czech Republic? That would be a rough equivalency in European terms...
Old May 16th 2011, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

So how much does the news in Germany tell you about what's going on in, say, the Czech Republic? That would be a rough equivalency in European terms...
If there were an event in the Czech Republic or anywhere else, then yes, it would be covered. And it could be the first item on the news.

I only heard about the opening of the flood-gates on the Mississippi through the BBC News website - it hasn't been mentioned at all on our KTVU. That is in the same country.
Old May 16th 2011, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
German news seemed good when I was living there, although that's going back a bit. Germans are usually very well-informed on current affairs when you speak to them.
Old May 16th 2011, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Lakersdarge is an unknown quantity at this point

For TV, I didn't notice anyone mention The Daily Show. Truthful, razor sharp, and often asks some really important questions but always in an extremely funny way. Consistently excellent, and perhaps the only source of sanity on TV during the years 2001-2008. It's a format and style that the UK has often tried and failed to emulate. And I think going on Jon Stewart's show is the closest that a politician over here can get to doing a Paxman interview. And with Stephen Colbert on The Colbert Report, you've got one of the three funniest people in the world in my opinion (others being Steve Coogan and Will Ferrell) at the height of his powers, doing some of the most brilliant satire I've ever seen. For other comedy (hey, it's good for cheering you up when you're homesick!), I would recommend watching Community, Eastbound and Down, and Louie.

As for other non comedic TV, on basic cable and premium cable TV, there have been some really well made programs in the last few years- amazingly well acted, written, and directed adult oriented dramas. Personally, I'm most excited for the new season of Breaking Bad starting in a few months.

Also, Netflix is your friend. Really good cheap way to get quality entertainment, as long as you do a little research beforehand to make sure its worth watching, and don't just randomly pick stuff from them.

Last edited by Lakersdarge; May 16th 2011 at 9:32 pm.
Old May 16th 2011, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Also, Real Time with Bill Maher is good.
Old May 16th 2011, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Also, Real Time with Bill Maher is good.
Agree - would be much better to put that on instead of the local news.
Old May 16th 2011, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Deeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud of

Back in my younger days national & world news was usually on at 6 followed by local news at 6:30. I think the times might be different now but has that format changed?
Old May 16th 2011, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Deeks
Back in my younger days national & world news was usually on at 6 followed by local news at 6:30. I think the times might be different now but has that format changed?
Back in my younger days you got Nationwide

I had to look it up after writing that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationwide_(TV_programme)

that's weird, the link doesn't seem to work, anyway the article reminds us that

"The light entertainment was quite similar in tone to That's Life!. Eccentric stories featured skateboarding ducks and men who claimed that they could walk on egg shells. (In fact, the show's tendency to sidestep serious matters in favour of light pieces was famously spoofed in an episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus, where the show, instead of reporting on the opening of the Third World War, chose to feature a story about a "theory" that sitting down in a comfortable chair rests one's legs). Richard Stilgoe performed topical songs."

Last edited by Sally Redux; May 16th 2011 at 9:41 pm.
Old May 16th 2011, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I only heard about the opening of the flood-gates on the Mississippi through the BBC News website - it hasn't been mentioned at all on our KTVU. That is in the same country.
A continent-sized country, something many of your posts seem to overlook. Local TV stations like KTVU don't see it as their primary role to provide you with much news about what's happening outside of their area. I am not sure why you perceive this as an issue; it's not as though there aren't other sources of news about what's happening nationally or internationally. I've certainly watched plenty of coverage from US stations of what's going on in Louisiana.

And this from someone who isn't exactly a big fan of the US media btw...
Old May 16th 2011, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
A continent-sized country, something many of your posts seem to overlook. Local TV stations like KTVU don't see it as their primary role to provide you with much news about what's happening outside of their area. I am not sure why you perceive this as an issue; it's not as though there aren't other sources of news about what's happening nationally or internationally. I've certainly watched plenty of coverage from US stations of what's going on in Louisiana.
I think more to the point is that the local stations are absolutely dire and tell you practically nothing about what is going on in the local area either. I just put them on sometimes to laugh at their silly hair and all the mistakes they make trying to read things out.
Old May 16th 2011, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think more to the point is that the local stations are absolutely dire and tell you practically nothing about what is going on in the local area either
Exactly ! If the local news was of any value, then I'd understand why it usurped national/international events. 9 times out of 10 it is utter rubbish.

Any one remember "The Fast Show" news and weather ?
Old May 16th 2011, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Exactly ! If the local news was of any value, then I'd understand why it usurped national/international events. 9 times out of 10 it is utter rubbish.
It's not "usurping" national/international news though. That is supplied at a different time (all networks except for Fox) or place (Fox, which I don't believe has any network-wide news service except for cable-only Fox News).

I do agree the quality of local-affiliate local news is dire.

Last edited by Giantaxe; May 16th 2011 at 10:08 pm.
Old May 16th 2011, 10:16 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

We get great local news KCRA and news10, Gooddaysacramento which covers Modesto all are very informative no complaints I guess different areas different scenerios!!
Old May 16th 2011, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Any one remember "The Fast Show" news and weather ?
Yes that's it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.