Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Using US electricals in the UK - anyone done it?

Using US electricals in the UK - anyone done it?

Old Sep 11th 2011, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Using US electricals in the UK - anyone done it?

I know this is really a UK Yankee question, but I'm not registered there and it's simpler to ask here, so humour me please! I'll ask there if I have to

I have a couple of young newly wed (last month) friends who are moving with the Air Force to Cambridge area, they'll be there for 3 years I think.

I told her that I didn't think it was worth bringing her electronics, but she said "I know someone who successfully used step-down transformers to run their US appliances (blenders, microwaves, tvs etc) in the UK"

I had heard that there was a risk that even with the transformer thing you could fry the electrical and blow the fuses in your home, but the truth is I really don't know.

Anyone here with experience of doing that?
Old Sep 11th 2011, 1:29 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using US electricals in the UK - anyone done it?

Just tell her it'll burn the house down. Should put her mind at rest.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Just tell her it'll burn the house down. Should put her mind at rest.
Charming!
Old Sep 11th 2011, 1:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
Charming!
He's right though. Bought in the US travel hair dryer, hair straighteners, printer...all dual voltage...all blew when used in the UK.. The hair straighteners melted.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
He's right though. Bought in the US travel hair dryer, hair straighteners, printer...all dual voltage...all blew when used in the UK.. The hair straighteners melted.
I had that happen with a US visitor when we lived there, her hairdryer melted.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Jersey, were you using any of these items with a transformer, or just the kind of plug you buy in an airport?
Old Sep 11th 2011, 2:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

ddddddddd
Jersey, were you using any of these items with a transformer, or just the kind of plug you buy in an airport?
I didn't need to use a transformer because they were dual voltage. My laptop and notebook works OK.

I think you'll probably have problems with anything with a heater ie hairdryer...even if it's dual voltage.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 11th 2011 at 2:21 am.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Middlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the rough

A transformer works fine, just costs a lot more than a regular convertor plug. We bring our US DVD player back to the UK, and run it with a transformer, no problems.
But to be honest, if they are going to be there 3 years, its probably more sensible to buy new appliances in the UK, then switch back to the old ones when they return to the US.
There are huge carboot sales around Cambridge that are almost entirely full of stuff from the USAF bases in the area! I used to live there and my son grew up with all-American toys from these sales. Folks stay three years, take their stuff to a sale, and then head back across the pond.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 3:30 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Middlemore
A transformer works fine,
Sort of. It doesn't convert AC frequency, and some motors designed to work at only a single frequency will be much more inefficient at the wrong frequency leading to increased wear and heat production.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 3:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I (blenders, microwaves, tvs etc)
That shit just wouldn't be safe, nor work very well.

Computers will be fine.

It is a fire risk though and insurance might not cover damage caused by a transformer, and those things get hot too, especially if used constantly.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

In theory you can use a step-up/down transformer - they're easily available here in the US and increase in cost with increasing power rating - a 500W unit will be around $50-$60 plus shipping - quite heavy...

In practice though... DO NOT USE with hair driers and anything else that is designed to heat things up using direct heat - in the US these are designed to draw current at a lower voltage than similar devices in the UK... the higher voltage in the UK simply means they draw even more current in the UK... IF you are lucky, the fuse will blow - no big deal. If you are unlucky, you could burn the house down (worst extreme) - in electrical fires in the home, the single biggest cause is high currents through junction or socket boxes, leading to heat, and the rest is history.

Such a step up/down transformer is fine for low power hand held things - like pedicure thingies that her in doors uses. Most modern electronic gadgetery, eg iPad, Laptop, mobile phone etc are designed for all voltages around the world...

The safest thing to do is buy new in the UK. And I know this cost you 30% more than you'd pay in the US, but...

Good luck

Cheers

HTS
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea, all I know is that I had a very dodgy moment a couple of years ago, after buying an i-pod docking station/phone/radio, come everything else, in Florida, hoping because it had a dual voltage thingy that it would work in the UK.

How wrong could I be.......... plugged it in, turned it on and BANG!!!! Gone, cremated in 1 second flat, of course, that was just as my husband was saying "I think you better check online if you need a transformer for that..............." - TOO LATE!!! RIP little i-pod docking station, it was good while it lasted
Old Sep 11th 2011, 9:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1

...BANG!!!! Gone, cremated in 1 second flat....RIP little i-pod docking station, it was good while it lasted
So it was shit then?
Old Sep 11th 2011, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

I know this is really a UK Yankee question, but I'm not registered there and it's simpler to ask here, so humour me please! I'll ask there if I have to

I have a couple of young newly wed (last month) friends who are moving with the Air Force to Cambridge area, they'll be there for 3 years I think.

I told her that I didn't think it was worth bringing her electronics, but she said "I know someone who successfully used step-down transformers to run their US appliances (blenders, microwaves, tvs etc) in the UK"

I had heard that there was a risk that even with the transformer thing you could fry the electrical and blow the fuses in your home, but the truth is I really don't know.

Anyone here with experience of doing that?
Before you try US electrics on European current, spare a thought for Nick Rivers' (Val Kilmer, Top Secret) late manager:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbpPI...ailpage#t=205s
Old Sep 12th 2011, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
in the US these are designed to draw current at a lower voltage than similar devices in the UK... the higher voltage in the UK simply means they draw even more current in the UK
A device will draw a particular current from a 110V source. When using a step-down transformer to power the same device in the UK, the 220V is stepped down via the transformer to 110V, the device then draws it's current from the 110V secondary winding of the transformer, just as if it were being powered from the US "mains". The device draws exactly the same current from this 110V supply as it would from the US "mains".

The only way the device can draw more current is if it is allowed to i.e. by increasing the voltage supplied to it.

So if you have a correctly specified and properly constructed transformer, with the correct secondary voltage for the device you intend to power, you will have no problems powering it by this method. (By properly constructed, I mean isolated primary and secondary windings. I would never encourage use of an autotransformer for this type of application).

I think what probably has happened in the past is that people skimp when buying such a transformer and and don't purchase one with the correct power rating or secondary voltage and then have problems with appliances failing. This has then perpetuated a myth that "transformers are bad and will fry your hairdryer."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.