Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Using US credit cards in the UK

Using US credit cards in the UK

Old Dec 31st 2012, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute
Default Using US credit cards in the UK

Does anyone have any recent experience of using US credit cards (which don't have a PIN, of course) in the UK for things like car hire and hotels? Have they been accepted or are they problematic? Thanks.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 7:59 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Using US credit cards in the UK

My last trip back to the UK was in 2011. Not sure about car hire and hotels since I booked those online. I was able to use my card in Asda but I did have an issue with it in a bar when I was trying to buy a round of drinks.

To make matters worse, I had old UK cash that was no longer legal tender. I arrived on Good Friday, so I couldn't get any cash until the following Tuesday! Had to borrow some cash from a friend.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 8:10 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I had no problems using mine when we visited in August. I always said it's a swipe card not a chip and pin when I handed it over. The only places that wouldn't accept it were a chinese restaurant and Comet.

I used it for a car and hotel that I had pre booked on line.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Only ever had a problem in a small village supermarket (I think it was an Asda) and they weren't able to accept it so had to pay in cash.
Car hire and hotels were all fine.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I've noticed some automated ticket machines and the like only work with chip and pin cards now. You can get reloadable travel cards that have a chip and pin from a lot of places now.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul32x
Have they been accepted or are they problematic?
If you want to improve your chances of having the cards accepted, be sure to call the card's issuing company and let them know that you'll be travelling to the UK and will be making foreign purchases. Give them a time frame! I've never had a problem when doing that.

Ian
Old Dec 31st 2012, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you want to improve your chances of having the cards accepted, be sure to call the card's issuing company and let them know that you'll be travelling to the UK and will be making foreign purchases. Give them a time frame! I've never had a problem when doing that.

Ian
Excellent advice, and, you may have to pay a surchage on foreign purchases. Mine is 3%.

Jim.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

I often travel to UK and have found that my US card works in all normal places, but I get so shocked when they actually check the signature.

Where it often fails, and I resort to my UK card is for automated machines like a railway ticket. They expect the card to have a PIN, may be some way around it but I'm normally in a hurry.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I've had no problem using my US card.
However I kept my Nationwide account open and every year when I go home I put some traveling dosh into it.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 1:18 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

No problems using it earlier this year but I've just received my new card and it has chip and pin on it now (plus a tag that you attach to your phone so that you can just wave it at a compatible reader) so should be the same as everyone else there.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 1:26 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
That.

Also, I have "Please see picture ID" written in the signature block of my US VISA (note the caps) and MasterCard debit cards. If they ask, I show them my passport, no trouble.

The worst thing is coming back to the US and automatically saying "US card, no PIN" to clerks at Kroger and Wal-Mart...
Old Jan 1st 2013, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
That.

Also, I have "Please see picture ID" written in the signature block of my US VISA (note the caps) and MasterCard debit cards. If they ask, I show them my passport, no trouble.

The worst thing is coming back to the US and automatically saying "US card, no PIN" to clerks at Kroger and Wal-Mart...
If your card isn't signed they can refuse it until you sign it. It is not valid until signed and writing see id is not sufficient.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Usually inform my card issuer, even so if I hit the shops I get a call and a temporary block on the card. So make sure your card issuer has an up to date number where they can reach you in the uk, preferably a mobile.

Only place I had a problem with a non-chip card was a petrol station, they wanted additional id. I think it raised an eyebrow that a Brit was using a non-Brit card and id (my only id on me was my Virginia driving license). It still went through ok.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 2:03 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I was over in nov/dec and no issues in most places, just told them it was a foreign card and then had to sign for it.

I too phoned up my cc company and gave them my dates of travel. No issues.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 4:29 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

Not sure if still applies but under the T&C's of their agreement with Visa/MC they still have to accept no chip/pin cards. In Nov 2011 I had to call Visa in the US who called Visa in the UK who then called the shop!

In Nov 2012 only one store had an issue, but they accepted it in the end and it went through. You're right tho', A Brit using a US card in the UK does raise eye-brows. I do have a UK Natwest account but as this trip was a sudden one, didn't have time to send money over in advance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.