Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

using UK driving license

Wikiposts

using UK driving license

Old Sep 16th 2011, 12:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: using UK driving license

Originally Posted by PANUK
Just out of interest I checked with the DVLA the validity of UK licenses once resident in the USA and got the following response:

------
I can confirm that the latest issued driving licence will be the valid licence.
Therefore if you obtain an American licence that will be your current licence .

Was any reference to the Road Traffic Act or other relevant legislation given? If not, then the fact it was written by someone working for the DVLA doesn't automatically make it true. It doesn't say so on the DVLA website either.

Although in the USA it's a moot point because most states don't allow you to use an overseas licence indefinitely.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Untrue.

Lots of people believe this but there is no evidence from the DVLA website or the law that revokes the licence of a GB licence holder (no such thing as a "UK" licence anyway). Lots of people living in Australia with temporary visas use GB licences which they are allowed to do as long as the licence has not expired.
You have to have your correct home address on it and I don't think it can be an overseas one.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 12:23 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You have to have your correct home address on it and I don't think it can be an overseas one.
The won't put a non-GB address on a GB licence, but that doesn't give you any basis to conclude that the licence becomes invalid.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ng/DG_10023103

Most driving licence jurisidictions have a similar policy.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
The won't put a non-GB address on a GB licence, but that doesn't give you any basis to conclude that the licence becomes invalid.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ng/DG_10023103

Most driving licence jurisidictions have a similar policy.
But you will be no longer living at the address on your licence.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 4:27 am
JAJ
Retired

But you will be no longer living at the address on your licence.

Which doesn't mean the licence becomes invalid. Of course, if you can refer us all to the law which revokes such licence, one will be open to correction.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JAJ
Which doesn't mean the licence becomes invalid. Of course, if you can refer us all to the law which revokes such licence, one will be open to correction.
It was my understanding that this is the case, but I don't have the law to quote. However I think you are reading a lot into the information on the link you gave to extrapolate that the licence is valid
Old Sep 17th 2011, 4:34 am
JAJ
Retired

It was my understanding that this is the case, but I don't have the law to quote. However I think you are reading a lot into the information on the link you gave to extrapolate that the licence is valid
I am not saying definitively that the licence is valid. You're the one saying it's not, based only on your opinion with no evidence to support it.

I can tell you that in Australia, people can (and do) use GB licences for years as this is allowed by Australia provided they're on temporary visas. Are you telling me their licences have been revoked by GB law because they don't have their Australian addresses on their licences?
Old Sep 17th 2011, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JAJ
I am not saying definitively that the licence is valid. You're the one saying it's not, based only on your opinion with no evidence to support it.

I can tell you that in Australia, people can (and do) use GB licences for years as this is allowed by Australia provided they're on temporary visas. Are you telling me their licences have been revoked by GB law because they don't have their Australian addresses on their licences?
I'm really not that bothered about it, I just think people should be aware that their UK licence may not be valid if they've moved.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 6:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really not that bothered about it, I just think people should be aware that their UK licence may not be valid if they've moved.
If I was an insurance company looking for a reason not to pay out...
Old Sep 17th 2011, 6:56 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
If I was an insurance company looking for a reason not to pay out...
And insurance companies employ whole teams of people for that very purpose...