Reload this Page >

using UK driving license

Wikiposts

using UK driving license

Old Sep 12th 2011, 8:43 am
Just Joined

PANUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: using UK driving license

In Maine a UK license is valid for 12 months apparently. However the person that told me that (someone I spoke on the telephone to at the BMV) also said I didn't need to do a road test.

Took (and passed yippee) my written today and yep I need to do the road test as well.

Better make sure I unlearn 30 years of bad habits quickly!!
Old Sep 12th 2011, 8:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PANUK
In Maine a UK license is valid for 12 months apparently. However the person that told me that (someone I spoke on the telephone to at the BMV) also said I didn't need to do a road test.

Took (and passed yippee) my written today and yep I need to do the road test as well.

Better make sure I unlearn 30 years of bad habits quickly!!
Aye, 12 months, but getting insurance past the 6 month mark was a problem, though Concord would insure you and were very cheap too when we were there.

Road test is a joke, but it'll be simpler in a built up area, when I did it, in the middle of no where, the examiner had travelled a hour from Bangor, and I was the only one to do the test as everyone else had cancelled, it was a day after a 6foot blizzard.

So she wasn't impressed and instead of being a two min test, we drove around for 20 mins.

She marked me down for a minor fault when doing the 50 foot reverse as I didn't go in a straight line, I followed the snow bank. When asked why I got marked down as I would have hit the bank if I didn't swerve, she said I would have failed if I had crashed
Old Sep 12th 2011, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

AZ, you will have to do eye test, computer based multi choice test (read the manual on the website), quick practical test involving three point turn within some cones and a trip around the block (may vary depending on test location).
Old Sep 12th 2011, 9:38 am
Just Joined

"When asked why I got marked down as I would have hit the bank if I didn't swerve, she said I would have failed if I had crashed "

Wow - I guess she really wasn't happy!!

The insurance doesn't seem to be a problem at the moment thought I've only just been put on the insurance!

My better half just raised a point - I was given an 'instructional permit' when I passed my written test - so now I have a full UK license which is still good until January and a permit that says I need to have someone in the car with me!

Is there a possible problem here?

Many thanks

Paul
Old Sep 12th 2011, 3:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

"When asked why I got marked down as I would have hit the bank if I didn't swerve, she said I would have failed if I had crashed "

Wow - I guess she really wasn't happy!!

The insurance doesn't seem to be a problem at the moment thought I've only just been put on the insurance!

My better half just raised a point - I was given an 'instructional permit' when I passed my written test - so now I have a full UK license which is still good until January and a permit that says I need to have someone in the car with me!

Is there a possible problem here?

Many thanks

Paul
Well on the plus side, with so much snow on the road, I wasn't able to speed if I tried as I wasn't able to get above 10mph at the time

And for you, no. You don't need a driver with you on the permit, that's for those who are under 18 that moved from another state who need to take the full test as you need 3 years driving experience to swap a out of state license in Maine, or you did when I lived there.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

In Indiana, my test was a joke, aside from the eye test, and the multiple choice (which I failed the 1st time around, and got the same eye test for the 2nd go), the driving part was just driving around a couple of blocks, chatting to the examiner, no reversing or parking aside from leaving the parking bay in the mall that the DMV is locating in..
Old Sep 13th 2011, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Britishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kodokan
Technically in AZ it's 'immediately', according to the AZ DMV website (http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/azwelcome.asp), but our relo person said that within 30 days is considered reasonable (we're moving there next month). Sooner the better, definitely. Hubby will do his straight away, but I'll hold off until I have a SSN to simplify admin, as the kids won't be in school straight away anyway until we move out of temp accommodation and into a permanent rental.
Just to let you know that you do not need a SSN to get your AZ driving licence. I registered all the paperwork, did all the tests and a SSN was not required
Old Sep 14th 2011, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Eeteet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Britishbees
Just to let you know that you do not need a SSN to get your AZ driving licence. I registered all the paperwork, did all the tests and a SSN was not required
I'm on my wife's AAA indefinately and they are fine with my UK license the last year I have been visiting under VWP.

I'm going over next week with the envelope and visa in passport, for 5 weeks then coming back here (hopefully green card and SSN will have been sent by then) to sort out last bits and pieces and stuff. Should then be going back to USA permanently by Xmas. Not too fussed about green card as I know you can travel back and forth with the temp visa, do you think it's ok to wait on driving license until I go back next time, as I am fully insured on UK license ?

cheers
Old Sep 14th 2011, 2:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Eeteet
...do you think it's ok to wait on driving license until I go back next time, as I am fully insured on UK license ?

cheers
You're insured as a visitor. Once you enter and get the GC, you won't be a visitor. So ask them and see.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 2:12 am
Just Joined

Just out of interest I checked with the DVLA the validity of UK licenses once resident in the USA and got the following response:

------
I can confirm that the latest issued driving licence will be the valid licence.
Therefore if you obtain an American licence that will be your current licence .
You will be covered to drive for 1 year from date of entry into the country on a valid American licence as a visitor.[/I]
------

So it appears the UK license is valid until you get an American one. This appears to be slightly at odds with what JersyGirl was told elsewhere in the forum but I guess it doesn't really matter once I get my american license which I need to do
Old Sep 16th 2011, 2:30 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest I checked with the DVLA the validity of UK licenses once resident in the USA and got the following response:

------
I can confirm that the latest issued driving licence will be the valid licence.
Therefore if you obtain an American licence that will be your current licence .
You will be covered to drive for 1 year from date of entry into the country on a valid American licence as a visitor.[/I]
------

So it appears the UK license is valid until you get an American one. This appears to be slightly at odds with what JersyGirl was told elsewhere in the forum but I guess it doesn't really matter once I get my american license which I need to do
But how could the DVLA ever know if you have a US license or not. Silly rule!
Old Sep 16th 2011, 2:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
But how could the DVLA ever know if you have a US license or not. Silly rule!
It wouldn't matter, because the UK license wouldn't be valid as soon as you are not ordinarily resident of the UK, which having a visa/greencard would mean you wouldn't be.

A US license is valid for 12 months in the UK.

As soon as you become resident of the UK again, you let the DVLA know, with a new address, and your UK license becomes valid again.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 3:22 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It wouldn't matter, because the UK license wouldn't be valid as soon as you are not ordinarily resident of the UK, which having a visa/greencard would mean you wouldn't be.

A US license is valid for 12 months in the UK.

As soon as you become resident of the UK again, you let the DVLA know, with a new address, and your UK license becomes valid again.
What if your license expires while you are non resident? Do you need to re-take your test if you return to the UK?
Old Sep 16th 2011, 5:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
What if your license expires while you are non resident? Do you need to re-take your test if you return to the UK?
No, you just renew it...you didn't need to retake the rest to renew if you were resident in the UK and this isnt' any different.

If you're over 70 I think you've got to provide a medical note to say you're fit to drive from your GP and you only have to retake the test for certain driving violations where you lose license on penalty points.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 12:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Untrue.

Lots of people believe this but there is no evidence from the DVLA website or the law that revokes the licence of a GB licence holder (no such thing as a "UK" licence anyway). Lots of people living in Australia with temporary visas use GB licences which they are allowed to do as long as the licence has not expired.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.