Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Used Car - any help???

Used Car - any help???

Old Jul 24th 2003, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Lorie&Paul is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Used Car - any help???

Just arrived back in US & re-united with wife, we desperately need a change of automobile as the one we have is 'clapped out!'
Wife is looking at Pontiac GrandAm's.....any useful hints on buying a used car - what to look for, prices, most reliable (for back roads......etc) any useful advice much appreciated.
Needs: good runner, price around $4000, reliable, able to handle the bumps & grinds of a dirt road!!
Thanks guys & gals : )
Old Jul 24th 2003, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

lanky1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default used cars

try www.edmunds.com

You can get a regional guide to prices in your area, in general american made are cheaper than your Jap motors, my wife has a 99 Chevy Cavalier thats worth abouth 4 grand and we have never had a problem with it, great little car and decently priced.
Hope that helps
Old Jul 25th 2003, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

ffoulger is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi;
You can access consumer reports magazines or books or lemon guide to buying used cars in most public libraries or you can purchase one.
I am an engineer in the atuomotive industry for 20 + years and my sincere advice is - if you need a reliable, economical, re-saleable, value-for-dollar vehicle then please buy either a Toyota, Honda (especially since at the price range you're looking at, the cars will probably be pre-1997's and these are probably the highest quality rated vehicles in that period).
No offence to other auto manufacturers.
Hope this helps.:lecture:
Old Jul 27th 2003, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ffoulger
Hi;
You can access consumer reports magazines or books or lemon guide to buying used cars in most public libraries or you can purchase one.
I am an engineer in the atuomotive industry for 20 + years and my sincere advice is - if you need a reliable, economical, re-saleable, value-for-dollar vehicle then please buy either a Toyota, Honda (especially since at the price range you're looking at, the cars will probably be pre-1997's and these are probably the highest quality rated vehicles in that period).
No offence to other auto manufacturers.
Hope this helps.:lecture:
I agree 100%, at your price "Japanese only". Don't touch American, without a full Bumper to Bumper Brand new warranty.
reg. Frank R.
Old Jul 27th 2003, 11:22 am
Just Joined

FrenchBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Used Car - any help???

Originally posted by Lorie&Paul
Just arrived back in US & re-united with wife, we desperately need a change of automobile as the one we have is 'clapped out!'
Wife is looking at Pontiac GrandAm's.....any useful hints on buying a used car - what to look for, prices, most reliable (for back roads......etc) any useful advice much appreciated.
Needs: good runner, price around $4000, reliable, able to handle the bumps & grinds of a dirt road!!
Thanks guys & gals : )
I would check the GEO PRIZM (any model year), which is about the same car as the Toyota Corolla, but goes for much less since since the brand was somewhat unknown & was later dropped by GM. Both cars are mechanically identical, but the PRIZM usually has a sleeker bodystyle & better equipment.
Very reliable, 4 doors, decent trunk & fairly smooth & quiet for a small car.
Stay away from other GEO cars, since they're not build by Toyota like the PRIZM.
Another car worth considering is a SATURN SL1/SL2 : very reliable vehicle but expect noisy engine,stiff ride &, most likely, higher prices than the GEO PRIZM.