Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

any advice?????

any advice?????

Old Jul 27th 2003, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

postman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default any advice?????

i would like to ask u all for some advice........i have been with my girlfriend for nearly a year now and i know i want to take the next step which is of course marriage....she is american and i am brittish,she currently lives in LA and i am spending alot of my time going over there and visiting on 90 day visa's and returning to england before they run out for a month or so and then going back out again.........firstly i am a little worried that if i keep doing this i may get turned away from america.....can they turn me away if i always leave before the visa expires? Also i have read about other people who have gone to america and got married in the states and then applied for the k1 visa.....as those of u who have done it is it so hard to be away from a loved one for any amount of time.....i would honestly prefer to not be away from her but would it be better to apply under the proper channels? i have enough money to get a lawyer and have them handle my case if i marry in america is this advisable? i would like as much advice as possible and im trying to find out as much as i can rather than worrying about it later and trying to rush things

thankyou anyone who responds
Old Jul 27th 2003, 6:59 pm
Dreaming of the bay

tbiller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: any advice?????

Originally posted by postman
i would like to ask u all for some advice........
Welcome. We'll do our best.
i have been with my girlfriend for nearly a year now and i know i want to take the next step which is of course marriage....she is american and i am brittish,she currently lives in LA and i am spending alot of my time going over there and visiting on 90 day visa's and returning to england before they run out for a month or so and then going back out again.........firstly i am a little worried that if i keep doing this i may get turned away from america.....can they turn me away if i always leave before the visa expires?
They can turn you away anytime they like if they think you are abusing the VWP. And being turned away is A Very Bad Thing if your ultimate aim is to live and work in the USA. I think you are running out of good fortune here - I'm surprised that they haven't picked these multiple entries up yet.
Also i have read about other people who have gone to america and got married in the states and then applied for the k1 visa.....
OK - the K1 visa is a fiance visa. The alternative is the I-130/K3 spousal visa. You have to be married to get a K3, and woe betide you if you enter the USA under the VWP intending to marry and stay - and they discover this from you at the port of entry.
as those of u who have done it is it so hard to be away from a loved one for any amount of time.....
Hardest thing I've ever done.
i would honestly prefer to not be away from her but would it be better to apply under the proper channels?
Yes, 100% absolutely.
i have enough money to get a lawyer and have them handle my case if i marry in america is this advisable?
Generally speaking you don't need to use a lawyer. The process is time-consuming and complex - but as long as you pay attention to detail you'll be fine. If you have been refused entry to the USA, or have been deported, or have a criminal conviction then it can get very much more complex - and then an experienced immigration attorney is invaluable.
i would like as much advice as possible and im trying to find out as much as i can rather than worrying about it later and trying to rush things
You can't afford to rush it. Too much depends on getting it right.
thankyou anyone who responds
Ta!

(PS there'a forum here especially for marriage-related immigration discussions - alt.visa.us-marriage-based. You could repost the query there or The Blessed Moderator might move it....)

Last edited by tbiller; Jul 27th 2003 at 7:02 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2003, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

postman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: any advice?????

Originally posted by tbiller
Welcome. We'll do our best.

They can turn you away anytime they like if they think you are abusing the VWP. And being turned away is A Very Bad Thing if your ultimate aim is to live and work in the USA. I think you are running out of good fortune here - I'm surprised that they haven't picked these multiple entries up yet.

Ta!
Well i plan to go back in the middle of next month again do u really think they will turn me away? i havent worked in the usa at all in any of my time here and have supported myself finacially.........i think i should add i have no criminal record and my brother is a usa citizen will that help me in anyway? I have never stayed longer than 2 months in america with her and always go home for longer than 1 month but now im worried that they may turn me away....why does this all have to be so hard u cant help who u fall in love with or what country they are from
thankyou so much for replying though