USA vs UK

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA vs UK

Originally Posted by TimberHut
I think some of you are missing the point in regards to the 140 quid license fee.

I hate it because it is compulsory - whether you watch the BBC or not.

If you buy a TV in the UK just to watch DVD's you still have to pay 140 quid for the pleasure of doing this.
It's not compulsory and no, you don't need to pay the license if you don't watch tv over the air.

Hasn't been for a few years now, though they don't like to advertise that fact.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:48 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
He hath repented of the Daily Mail sin. Trader Joe's I like but it's much smaller than Tesco.

Me neither
I was just giving a Daily Mail reader a hard time
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:39 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
You lost most of your credibility when you said you read the Daily Mail. Saying Trader Joe's isn't on a par or better then Tesco lost you the rest of it.
No, he lost the rest of it when he admitted to using Lynx.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:15 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I missed that, puts it in the minus category then
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

they used to have great tv commercials though

The Axe affect is just rubbish
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

... and I just wasted several minutes going back through this thread to figure out what was so terrible about admitting to using a rather outdated text mode web browser ...
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
It's not compulsory and no, you don't need to pay the license if you don't watch tv over the air.

Hasn't been for a few years now, though they don't like to advertise that fact.
What about if you never watch the BBC? That is the whole point of the issue.

I can watch ITV 24/7 but still have to pay for the BBC. That is wrong.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 12:35 pm

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

When I watch the Beeb i-player even out here I get a pop up warning me a tv license is necessary to watch BBC tv progs online!
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 5:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I don't get what the issue is...it's really not an issue.

If you want rubbish, some countries are even worse. Austria, you've got to pay the same license just for 2 tv channels and the right to listen to the radio....just over 10 quid a month, that's 2 pints.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:53 am
Just Joined

ph3iron is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Okay... I'll bite. Let's see... what's different between them.

They are two totally separate countries; everything is different; nothing is the same; both have good points and bad points; and neither of them is quite like Canada!

Ian
Absolutely. My wife put it best 30 years ago. "I wish I looked different and had brown skin or something. Then it would be obvious, we are just two different cultures".
Old Aug 4th 2010, 5:20 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

If you buy a TV in the UK just to watch DVD's you still have to pay 140 quid for the pleasure of doing this.
No you don't. As long as you're not picking up television signals with it, and just using it to watch DVD's, you don't need a TVL.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 5:54 am

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
No you don't. As long as you're not picking up television signals with it, and just using it to watch DVD's, you don't need a TVL.
Don't they phrase it as 'if your set is capable of picking up television signals....' ?

Anyway, paying the licence fee should be optional like here.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

SEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to behold

One of these days the BBC is going to be dismantled, and then -- too late -- the people who complain about it and the license fee will realise what a treasure it was, and what a complete bargain the license fee was.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 5:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by expatasia
Don't they phrase it as 'if your set is capable of picking up television signals....' ?
Not any more, and it hasn't been that for for quite a few years.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExBritFL
I think they're also talking about charging license fees next year for those who watch the BBC on iplayer...
I would pay for a BBC licence if I could watch all of their programs eaily. I'd get rid of all my cable package and save a fortune.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.