USA vs UK

Old Aug 1st 2010, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default USA vs UK

I'm not sure if a similar post is on this forum, but I thought it would be interesting to start a discussion on the differences between the two countries from the perspective of those who've spent significant time living in both places.

Well, I'll get it started with what I've found to be the positive and negative differences from my time living in the UK and my last three years in the USA - my findings are based on living in Florida (which I know doesn't represent the US as a whole) and also include opnions from other Ex Pats that I know...

(Please note - this is not intended to offend anyone from either the US or the UK and is purely based on opinion).

USA:

Positives
-Areas and roads are generally alot cleaner than the UK
-Lower crime rates
-Easily accesible airlines for internal travel
-Houses are alot more spacious
-Portion sizes more generous when eating out
-Milder winters
-Cheaper Petrol / Gas
-More varied culture due to the larger size of the country

Negatives
- Policiticians seem to be more interested in achieving a "celebrity status" rather than getting stuck in and tackling current issues
-Generally, people are more "friendly", however they lack real substance
-Additives in foods aren't as tightly controlled as they are in the UK
-Use of corn syrup in virtually all food products
-Fashion is a bit dated
-Almost all shops are confined to strip malls
-Huge majority of American's don't have passports
-TV programming not very good
-People aren't really concerned as much about protecting the environment ie) the majority of vehicles seen on the roads are SUV's and trucks
-Cost of living considerably higher than the UK
-Rare to see products that are manufactured in the US
-Can't walk to local shop for a pint of milk / paper. Have to drive to get virtually everywhere

UK:

Positives
-Nothing compares to a good old Sunday Roast down the pub!
-Quality of food is substantially better, seems as if there is more attention paid to where the food is sourced from
-Cost of insurances are significantly lower
-BBC!
-Government seem to be actually doing something about trying to lower the national debt burden (even to the dismay of some)
-Beautiful quaint villages that can't be matched
-The history
-Better public transit system
-Less rampant consumerism

Negatives
-Increasing immigration issues - especially from the EU
-VAT rate is out of control
-Gun crime on the increase
-The roads and pavements seem to be more infested with litter

Last edited by ExBritFL; Aug 1st 2010 at 7:02 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA vs UK

Originally Posted by ExBritFL
I'm not sure if a similar post is on this forum
Yes, lots of them ...
Old Aug 1st 2010, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Yes, lots of them ...
Oh well, here's another one!
Old Aug 1st 2010, 5:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if a similar post is on this forum, but I thought it would be interesting to start a discussion on the differences between the two country's from the perspective of those who've spent significant time living in both places.

Well, I'll get it started with what I've found to be the positive and negative differences from my time living in the UK and my last three years in the USA - my findings are based on living in Florida (which I know doesn't represent the US as a whole) and also include opnions from other Ex Pats that I know...

(Please note - this is not intended to offend anyone from either the US or the UK and is purely based on opnion).

USA:

- Policiticians seem to be more interested in achieving a "celebrity status" rather than getting stuck in and tackling current issues
-Generally, people are more "friendly", however they lack real substance
-Areas and roads are generally alot cleaner than the UK
-Additives in foods aren't as tightly controlled as they are in the UK
-Use of corn syrup in virtually all food products
-Lower crime rates
-Fashion is a bit dated
-Almost all shops are confined to strip malls
-Easily accesible airlines for internal travel
-Huge majority of American's don't have passports
-TV programming not very good
-Houses are alot more spacious
-People aren't really concerned as much about protecting the environment ie) the majority of vehicles seen on the roads are SUV's and trucks
-Cost of living considerably higher than the UK
-Portion sizes more generous when eating out
-Rare to see products that are manufactured in the US
-Can't walk to local shop for a pint of milk / paper. Have to drive to get virtually everywhere

UK:

-The roads and pavements seem to be more infested with litter
-Quality of food is substantially better, seems as if there is more attention paid to where the food is sourced from
-Cost of insurances are significantly lower
-Nothing compares to the BBC!
-Government seem to be actually doing something about trying to lower the national debt burden (even to the dismay of some)
-VAT rate is out of control
-Increasing immigration issues - especially from the EU
-Nothing compares to a good old Sunday Roast down the pub!
-Gun crime on the increase
-Beautiful quaint villages that can't be matched

So it's a list for USA and UK but on each list what is positive and what is negative. For example, you may be saying "Nothing compares to a good old Sunday Roast down the Pub" as a negative finding........
Old Aug 1st 2010, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
So it's a list for USA and UK but on each list what is positive and what is negative. For example, you may be saying "Nothing compares to a good old Sunday Roast down the Pub" as a negative finding........
Edited, just for you!!
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the SUV thing, is typical of Florida. In CA the cars (that I noticed) were mostly, toyota (prius) or Honda (accord).
Florida its those 8 liter, gas guzzling trucks and 4 x 4's
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it would be interesting to start a discussion on the differences between the two country's from the perspective of those who've spent significant time living in both places.
Okay... I'll bite. Let's see... what's different between them.

They are two totally separate countries; everything is different; nothing is the same; both have good points and bad points; and neither of them is quite like Canada!

Ian
Old Aug 1st 2010, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
I think the SUV thing, is typical of Florida. In CA the cars (that I noticed) were mostly, toyota (prius) or Honda (accord).
Florida its those 8 liter, gas guzzling trucks and 4 x 4's
Very true - noticed that myself!
Old Aug 1st 2010, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Okay... I'll bite. Let's see... what's different between them.

They are two totally separate countries; everything is different; nothing is the same; both have good points and bad points; and neither of them is quite like Canada!

Ian
Sounds like a good sum up to me.....
Old Aug 1st 2010, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Edited, just for you!!
But I think that should be a negative.

The positive would be:

Nothing compares to a good old Sunday Roast cooked at home by your
other half/mum with apple crumble and custard to follow and then a nice cup of tea before you take a lazy Sunday afternoon nap.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 6:54 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if a similar post is on this forum,
yes often what is rare is use of the search facilities on the forum.

but I thought it would be interesting to start a discussion on the differences between the two country's
One is populated by people who are British who have got the country much how they like it, one is populated by Americans who have done their own thing.

Also the same, is people moving from one to the other finding it necessary to compare the two. My wife did that when she moved from the US to the UK. Futile exercise, in all the time these sort of posts have appeared on BE not once can I recall it making any difference to the quality of US bread and sausages.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
yes often what is rare is use of the search facilities on the forum.

One is populated by people who are British who have got the country much how they like it, one is populated by Americans who have done their own thing.

Also the same, is people moving from one to the other finding it necessary to compare the two. My wife did that when she moved from the US to the UK. Futile exercise, in all the time these sort of posts have appeared on BE not once can I recall it making any difference to the quality of US bread and sausages.
I do use the search facilities actually, but I failed to find a post titled like this one. I see nothing wrong with comparing the differences between the two countries who both have their merits and pitfalls.

The aim of this thread, was to invite opinions from people who want to participate in discussion and share their experiences. It was not intended to make a difference to the quality of US foodstuffs - but thanks for your comments nonetheless.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 7:24 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I see nothing wrong with comparing the differences between the two countries who both have their merits and pitfalls.
To be fair, half the stuff on your list only applies to the part of the country you were in.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
To be fair, half the stuff on your list only applies to the part of the country you were in.
True, but I did clarify that in my thread at the beginning:

"...my findings are based on living in Florida (which I know doesn't represent the US as a whole) ..."
Old Aug 1st 2010, 7:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The shit stuff is shit, the good stuff is good....for both countries.

The winters truly suck jumbo tron sized buffalo balls in New England after a few years of putting up with it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.